Im choosing between powerDVD and anyDVD

vbimport

i have BlueRay device in my laptop and i play it using HDMI to my TV.

my question is do i need to choose PowerDVD instead of buying anyDVD?

i burn some DVD also so i guess anyDVD is usefull for that.

i have Media Direct that play my BlueRay DVD but not sure if its worth it to upgrade to powerDVD for quality viewing?

the price between the two is almost the same.

hope you help me to decide. thank you!

They are both different types of programs and do not do the same thing.

If you are just viewing movies PowerDVD is all you need, if you want to backup your Blu-ray movies you would need AnyDVD

I am just generalizing they both have many more features…

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2092740]They are both different types of programs and do not do the same thing.

If you are just viewing movies PowerDVD is all you need, if you want to backup your Blu-ray movies you would need AnyDVD

I am just generalizing they both have many more features…[/QUOTE]

my problem is when i installed powerDVD and watch my BlueRay DVD movies it don’t show the movies on my TV (with HDMI connector)

it says my TV is non-HDCP compliant, so what i did is uninstall PowerDVD and install anyDVD and it works!

if i dish out powerDVD, will i miss the good quality of viewing movies using media direct compare to powerDVD?

if i choose anyDVD do i still need DVDFab (free)?

[QUOTE=fce;2092745]my problem is when i installed powerDVD and watch my BlueRay DVD movies it don’t show the movies on my TV (with HDMI connector)

it says my TV is non-HDCP compliant, so what i did is uninstall PowerDVD and install anyDVD and it works!

if i dish out powerDVD, will i miss the good quality of viewing movies using media direct compare to powerDVD?

if i choose anyDVD do i still need DVDFab (free)?[/QUOTE]

Again Anydvd and Dvdfab are slightly different programs and what they perform. Maybe you should check out those software sites and read their info and specs on their software before you purchase as your confusing software and what they are programmed to do. To watch DVD you will need something like powerdvd or windvd to watch the dvd or BD movies. Those other two software of which Anydvd decrypts or rips and Dvdfab copies to dvd9 media but also decrypts but limited functions compared to dvdfab plat. Buy with Anydvd installed it does as your say allow you to override the HDCP protection to watch the way you want to watch it.

What notebook do you own with bluray player?

JohnnyJT :cool:
South Philly

There are many good free DVD players. There are some excellent DVD rippers other than anyDVD (but anyDVD updates the most frequently).

The whole “uninstalled powerdvd and installed anydvd and it worked” thing is a bit…confusing. What does this mean? IMO you need both. People misunderstand what AnyDVD is actually for. If you’re using an HTPC, AnyDVD is absolutely invaluable. As Slysoft has stated multiple times and I agree, it’s NOT a ripper. It has a ripper function that was added as an afterthought to help out the DVD Shrink community way back when, but, AnyDVD was not designed to rip movies. It was designed to assist HTPC owners in watching their movies without annoyances. HDCP is one of the many annoyances that BD enabled HTPC owners face. Notice that AnyDVD can remove this nonsense in realtime…no ripping necessary. It can remove region coding, advertisements, and stupid HDCP requirements all in real time. It even fixed a movie I had problems playing (Jumper) because the BD+ protection code in PowerDVD is so sucky. Not bad IMO. :slight_smile:

However, all that being said, AnyDVD doesn’t PLAY any discs. You still need software capable of playing your movies. PowerDVD is the best of the worst in this arena. There is no software that comes highly recommended by me for BD/HD DVD playback, but, of all of the solutions out there, PowerDVD is the least offensive of them all. HD DVD playback is becoming more and more irritating. Cyberlink claims you need to have 7.3 Ultra installed to play HD DVD’s. However, if you plan on doing BD’s they recommend also having 8 Ultra. (And given that the 7.3 Ultra updates have been pulled off the Cyberlink site, I’m thinking BD playback for 7.3 is not something they’re concentrating on these days.)

Anyway, I hope this post helps in your decision. I recommend AnyDVD HD very highly, and begrudgingly recommend PowerDVD Ultra for playback.

[quote=johnnyjt;2092797]what Notebook Do You Own With Bluray Player?

Johnnyjt :cool:
South Philly[/quote]

Xps1530

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2092971]The whole “uninstalled powerdvd and installed anydvd and it worked” thing is a bit…confusing. What does this mean? IMO you need both. People misunderstand what AnyDVD is actually for. If you’re using an HTPC, AnyDVD is absolutely invaluable. As Slysoft has stated multiple times and I agree, it’s NOT a ripper. It has a ripper function that was added as an afterthought to help out the DVD Shrink community way back when, but, AnyDVD was not designed to rip movies. It was designed to assist HTPC owners in watching their movies without annoyances. HDCP is one of the many annoyances that BD enabled HTPC owners face. Notice that AnyDVD can remove this nonsense in realtime…no ripping necessary. It can remove region coding, advertisements, and stupid HDCP requirements all in real time. It even fixed a movie I had problems playing (Jumper) because the BD+ protection code in PowerDVD is so sucky. Not bad IMO. :slight_smile:

However, all that being said, AnyDVD doesn’t PLAY any discs. You still need software capable of playing your movies. PowerDVD is the best of the worst in this arena. There is no software that comes highly recommended by me for BD/HD DVD playback, but, of all of the solutions out there, PowerDVD is the least offensive of them all. HD DVD playback is becoming more and more irritating. Cyberlink claims you need to have 7.3 Ultra installed to play HD DVD’s. However, if you plan on doing BD’s they recommend also having 8 Ultra. (And given that the 7.3 Ultra updates have been pulled off the Cyberlink site, I’m thinking BD playback for 7.3 is not something they’re concentrating on these days.)

Anyway, I hope this post helps in your decision. I recommend AnyDVD HD very highly, and begrudgingly recommend PowerDVD Ultra for playback.[/QUOTE]

thanks! i got your point.

are you familiar with Media Direct from Dell?..i’m not sure if its good quality same as powerDVD.

though i try them both, but not see any significant difference…the only advantage of Media Direct is it’s free.

and if you will check my attachement, this Media Direct is powered by Cyberlink which mean (?) they might use the same engine?

PS. any discount coupon you guys know for anyDVD :wink:

Media Direct I believe is Dell’s front end for PowerDVD. It all depends on what version of PowerDVD is driving it, though. If you want to do Blu-ray, I’m of the opinion that PowerDVD retail is probably a better option as it’ll remain more up to date. If you run into a problem with Media Direct, God only knows how long it’ll take to get an update from Dell that fixes it. It’s bad enough how long we wait for Cyberlink to fix things.

As for a coupon, until July 31, all products are 20% off on Slysoft’s store.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2093190]Media Direct I believe is Dell’s front end for PowerDVD. It all depends on what version of PowerDVD is driving it, though. If you want to do Blu-ray, I’m of the opinion that PowerDVD retail is probably a better option as it’ll remain more up to date. If you run into a problem with Media Direct, God only knows how long it’ll take to get an update from Dell that fixes it. It’s bad enough how long we wait for Cyberlink to fix things.

As for a coupon, until July 31, all products are 20% off on Slysoft’s store.[/QUOTE]

thanks! the only problem is powerdvd is pretty expensive since Media Direct works fine in my laptop…

anyway i’ll try media direct more and if there’s a problem i might buy powerdvd or if somebody here can convince me that powerdvd is more crispier and more clearer than media direct using BR DVD…i will consider buying powerdvd in the future.

btw, can i use anydvd with Nero (burning) without using manual ripper or rightclick+anydvd+ripvideo…i mean can i use Nero immediately and anydvd will do it automatically.

If it works for you, no need to buy anything else. :slight_smile:

My personal method is to use ImgBurn or CloneCD to make ISOs of my movies. You can choose to make it with or without AnyDVD enabled. With it enabled the protection will be removed. With it disabled, you make an exact image of the disc with all protection in tact. Why the hell would anyone wanna do that?? :slight_smile: Glad you ask! :smiley: If a bug is found in AnyDVD, all I have to do is update AnyDVD when the bug is fixed and remount my protected image. Done. :slight_smile: Those who rip it with AnyDVD enabled to remove the protection run the risk of having to rerip if a bug is found. This is more than theoretical. It has happened already. But, having the protection get removed while ripping definitely has its advantages, no doubt. So you have to decide which route to go.

And as far as I know, it will work just as well with Nero.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2093571]If it works for you, no need to buy anything else. :slight_smile:

My personal method is to use ImgBurn or CloneCD to make ISOs of my movies. You can choose to make it with or without AnyDVD enabled. With it enabled the protection will be removed. With it disabled, you make an exact image of the disc with all protection in tact. Why the hell would anyone wanna do that?? :slight_smile: Glad you ask! :smiley: If a bug is found in AnyDVD, all I have to do is update AnyDVD when the bug is fixed and remount my protected image. Done. :slight_smile: Those who rip it with AnyDVD enabled to remove the protection run the risk of having to rerip if a bug is found. This is more than theoretical. It has happened already. But, having the protection get removed while ripping definitely has its advantages, no doubt. So you have to decide which route to go.

And as far as I know, it will work just as well with Nero.[/QUOTE]

i guess i’ll stick first with Media Direct…powerDVD is almost $90++ :frowning:

i need anydvd because i watch my BlueRay movies using my laptop+hdmi+42"TV…with anyDVD it remove the HDCP compliant…if i remove anydvd i can’t watch my BR-DVD to my (HD) TV.

so with that, i want to utilize more of my anydvd by burning some DVD without using any ripper (ripit4me or dvdFab5) since anydvd will automatically ripped it when i copy my DVD using Nero Burning ROM or Nero Recode?

Woa woa woa. You misunderstood the AnyDVD thing COMPLETELY. :slight_smile: I never said to remove it. AnyDVD still removes the protection in my method. It just does it on the mounted ISO image, not when the image is created. When creating the image initially, I disable AnyDVD. When I mount the image, AnyDVD is enabled so it can remove the protection from the mounted ISO. I basically treat the ISO image EXACTLY as I would the original disc.

If your goal is to burn discs, then you want to remove the protection while creating the image, yes. You mention Recode…that doesn’t work on BD’s. But if you want to read to an image using Nero Burning ROM, and the write out that image to a blank BD-R/E then you will definitely need to have AnyDVD enabled when creating the initial image.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2093577]Woa woa woa. You misunderstood the AnyDVD thing COMPLETELY. :slight_smile: I never said to remove it. AnyDVD still removes the protection in my method. It just does it on the mounted ISO image, not when the image is created. When creating the image initially, I disable AnyDVD. When I mount the image, AnyDVD is enabled so it can remove the protection from the mounted ISO. I basically treat the ISO image EXACTLY as I would the original disc.

If your goal is to burn discs, then you want to remove the protection while creating the image, yes. You mention Recode…that doesn’t work on BD’s. But if you want to read to an image using Nero Burning ROM, and the write out that image to a blank BD-R/E then you will definitely need to have AnyDVD enabled when creating the initial image.[/QUOTE]

ok lets clear re: anyDVD usage.

if i will burn DVD movies, i need either Nero Burning ROM or Nero Recode with anydvd is enable or running…with this i will not need any Ripper since anydvd will do it automatically when i burn the DVD?

now if i will burn BR Disc, i need Nero Burning Rom only and using anyDVD ripper?

is anydvd works also as decrypter?

sorry, i’m not familiar with this anydvd software usage yet.

Ok I think for you, ALWAYS keeping AnyDVD enabled is a good thing. Forget what I said about disabling it for BD’s as it won’t help you in your case.

Now, for DVD, AnyDVD is enabled and will remove protection so you can use Recode no problem on this situation.

For BD, you don’t need to use the AnyDVD Ripper for this, either. Just stick the original in the drive, use Nero to create an image, stick a blank in the drive, and use Nero to burn it.

Again, keep AnyDVD enabled at all times. It’s able to do on the fly protection removal when you put the disc in, so no need to worry about protection when AnyDVD is enabled.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2093582]Ok I think for you, ALWAYS keeping AnyDVD enabled is a good thing. Forget what I said about disabling it for BD’s as it won’t help you in your case.

Now, for DVD, AnyDVD is enabled and will remove protection so you can use Recode no problem on this situation.

For BD, you don’t need to use the AnyDVD Ripper for this, either. Just stick the original in the drive, use Nero to create an image, stick a blank in the drive, and use Nero to burn it.

Again, keep AnyDVD enabled at all times. It’s able to do on the fly protection removal when you put the disc in, so no need to worry about protection when AnyDVD is enabled.[/QUOTE]

thanks.

does ANYDVD do automatic update or i need to do it manually?

also did they update weekly or monthly?

It will tell you when a new update is available. Plus there’s a new announcement thread in the AnyDVD forum here in case you want to keep up with the latest betas. (Their beta versions are as good if not better than most company’s releases.) You will then need to download the update and run it.

They update whenever they feel it’s needed. Sometimes you’ll get 3-5 updates in a week, and then you’ll go 6 weeks without a new release. All depends on if an update is needed.

another question, my NVIDIA Driver version is old from Dell.

will ANYDVD will fix the problem if i install latest NVIDIA driver from laptopvideo2go?

because last time when i dont have ANYDVD, my powerDVD wont play my Blue Ray movie because of NVDIA Driver version (which is the latest compare to Dell release)…but when i install the old NVIDIA driver version my Blue ray movie works.

will this protection or issue regarding NVIDIA driver will fix by ANYDVD?

thanks!

AnyDVD will remove AACS protection which removes the HDCP requirement. Other than that, it’s not going to do much for your driver problem.