Im A Noob Plz Help

vbimport

Hello im currently using my win avi9.0 to convert my films i also used to use the in avi to burn my films…they were working really well i was getting good quality dvds… they used to burn at 8x speed then all of a sudden one day the speed changed to 2x …WTF…now i cant use my Win-avi to burn my films it still converts them but it wont burn them anymore…im well gutted i need to get my burner back up and running ive tried so many times to use it again but everytime i try it burns at 2x speed then it says burn failed at 2x speed…i would be grateful if anyone can help me out with this as i cant stand to watch another film through my media player…:sad:

and could no one please reccomend Nero as ive got it and that just confuses the hell out of me…and when i finally thought id sussed it it started to burn it said transcoding for 9 hours and then writing to disc for 4 hours…13 hours to burn a disc?..then it finally finished and the disc was blank…my head hurts please please help me…

OK can you please just start at the beginning and tell us how you are converting these DVD-Videos of yours?

Yes… Please provide the brand and type of media you are using, your system specs, which softwares, etc…

[quote=harley2ride;2035827]Yes… Please provide the brand and type of media you are using, your system specs, which softwares, etc…[/quote]:sad:mow your really confusing me maybe i shouldnt have posted on here look i really am a noob…i used to just download my film then when it was finished it would be converted via my win avi…i go to burn the film and the speed changes half way through the burn and it says burn failed at 2x speed but it used to burn them perfectly…maybe i should just give up and carry on watching them via my media player…:confused:

I had an optical drive start to burn slower than I remember for an unknown reason. This carried on for a few weeks until my discs started coming out unreadable. It turns out my drive had reached the end of its lifespan.

If yours is a drive you’ve burned a lot with, then maybe this is the problem?

But yes, there are a lot of important variables like type of media, filetypes, etc. A little more information would be very helpful [:

[quote=PsychedelicBabe;2035832]:sad:mow your really confusing me :confused:[/quote]Harley just asked what brand of blank discs you are using. Can you not just read the name on the box…? :wink:

[QUOTE=PsychedelicBabe;2035832]:sad:mow your really confusing me maybe i shouldnt have posted on here look i really am a noob…i used to just download my film then when it was finished it would be converted via my win avi…i go to burn the film and the speed changes half way through the burn and it says burn failed at 2x speed but it used to burn them perfectly…maybe i should just give up and carry on watching them via my media player…:confused:[/QUOTE]

We really will try to help you! It’s just that a lot of things can affect what you are talking about, and almost all of them are very easy to fix. But only if we can narrow things down.

The dvd’s you are using could be substandard, and you might have come across some that aren’t quite as good as before. It’s possible that your DMA setting has reverted to PIO. This would cause a slowdown. This is easy to test. Just go into Control Panel/Device Manager/Hardware and locate your Primary and Secondary IDE. Uninstall them, and reboot your computer. If the problem went away, that means that your device reverted to PIO mode. If you don’t know much about your media, you can download CDSPEED, and run it against one of your dvd’s.

Do a search of DMA (direct memory access). I think your drive has reverted to PIO mode instead of DMA mode.

[QUOTE=PsychedelicBabe;2035832]:sad:mow your really confusing me maybe i shouldnt have posted on here look i really am a noob…[B]i used to just [I]download my film[/I] then when it was finished it would be converted via my win avi…i go to burn the film[/B] and the speed changes half way through the burn and it says burn failed at 2x speed but it used to burn them perfectly…maybe i should just give up and carry on watching them via my media player…:confused:[/QUOTE]

Why wouldnt you use the original (DVD) disc and just make a copy of it??

[quote=harley2ride;2035919]We really will try to help you! It’s just that a lot of things can affect what you are talking about, and almost all of them are very easy to fix. But only if we can narrow things down.

The dvd’s you are using could be substandard, and you might have come across some that aren’t quite as good as before. It’s possible that your DMA setting has reverted to PIO. This would cause a slowdown. This is easy to test. Just go into Control Panel/Device Manager/Hardware and locate your Primary and Secondary IDE. Uninstall them, and reboot your computer. If the problem went away, that means that your device reverted to PIO mode. If you don’t know much about your media, you can download CDSPEED, and run it against one of your dvd’s.[/quote]:clap:thank you for your help im about to try what you have suggested to see if it works…im sorry i dont really know much about pcs and that but now im learning more and more each time a problem arises…thank you for offering to help i was half expecting everyone to come up with stupid comments cos im so noobish…:disagree: thank you …

[quote=imkidd57;2035914]Harley just asked what brand of blank discs you are using. Can you not just read the name on the box…? ;)[/quote]:sad: ouch… that was uncalled for… i explained that i was a noob…and my discs are TDK im going to run the test speeds on my discs now i know how to thanx alot for all your help guys…

[QUOTE=PsychedelicBabe;2036235]:sad: ouch… that was uncalled for… i explained that i was a noob…and my discs are TDK im going to run the test speeds on my discs now i know how to thanx alot for all your help guys…[/QUOTE]

You must remember that we are trying to help you by remote access and we require as much information as you can supply. After all you would not call your doctor on the phone and ask for a diagnosis by just saying I’m not felling well.:flower:

Welcome to freaks by the way.

PsychedelicBabe;btw I like the user name.One way to get in trouble here is to give a “noob” a hard time so I wouldn’t worry about that.
I’m going to go a bit different test route for the burner.Can you even burn simple files to it like a .txt or .jpg?
If you can the burner is a least capable of burning data to the disc.Much simpler & quicker than a movie.If you can’t burn simple files either your burner is bad or you have some serious file corruption somewhere.

[QUOTE=PsychedelicBabe;2036233]:clap:thank you for your help im about to try what you have suggested to see if it works…im sorry i dont really know much about pcs and that but now im learning more and more each time a problem arises…thank you for offering to help i was half expecting everyone to come up with stupid comments cos im so noobish…:disagree: thank you …[/QUOTE]

Don’t worry about not knowing much. All of us have been there at one time or another… Just try to answer our questions as best you can, and we should be able to walk you through, just about anything…

[quote=harley2ride;2035919]We really will try to help you! It’s just that a lot of things can affect what you are talking about, and almost all of them are very easy to fix. But only if we can narrow things down.

The dvd’s you are using could be substandard, and you might have come across some that aren’t quite as good as before. It’s possible that your DMA setting has reverted to PIO. This would cause a slowdown. This is easy to test. Just go into Control Panel/Device Manager/Hardware and locate your Primary and Secondary IDE. Uninstall them, and reboot your computer. If the problem went away, that means that your device reverted to PIO mode. If you don’t know much about your media, you can download CDSPEED, and run it against one of your dvd’s.[/quote]ive been to my control panel and device manager but i cant find HARDWARE it gives me a list but when i go through it i cant see hardware…

[quote=PsychedelicBabe;2036394]ive been to my control panel and device manager but i cant find HARDWARE it gives me a list but when i go through it i cant see hardware…[/quote]:sad:i did it and i uninstalled it and rebooted my system but when i when i went to burn my disc itstarted o 3x speed so i inserted a new disc and HEY PRESTO it startwed to burn at 8x speed but it got to 80% and said burn failed at 2x speed so i tried my nero and its burnt the disc but it wont play on anything…its really doing my head in and i know i have to give you more details you tell me what you need to know and ill find them out for you…im appreciating all your information…:confused:

[quote=cholla;2036295]PsychedelicBabe;btw I like the user name.One way to get in trouble here is to give a “noob” a hard time so I wouldn’t worry about that.
I’m going to go a bit different test route for the burner.Can you even burn simple files to it like a .txt or .jpg?
If you can the burner is a least capable of burning data to the disc.Much simpler & quicker than a movie.If you can’t burn simple files either your burner is bad or you have some serious file corruption somewhere.[/quote]:clap: glad you like my tag i use this tag on my xbox360…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=PsychedelicBabe;2036512]:sad:i did it and i uninstalled it and rebooted my system but when i when i went to burn my disc itstarted o 3x speed so i inserted a new disc and HEY PRESTO it startwed to burn at 8x speed but it got to 80% and said burn failed at 2x speed so i tried my nero and its burnt the disc but it wont play on anything…its really doing my head in and i know i have to give you more details you tell me what you need to know and ill find them out for you…im appreciating all your information…:confused:[/QUOTE]
Download CDSPEED (easy to find with google), then run a Disk Quality Scan on one of your burned DVD’s. Save the scan and post it here so we can see it.

[quote=harley2ride;2036515]Download CDSPEED (easy to find with google), then run a Disk Quality Scan on one of your burned DVD’s. Save the scan and post it here so we can see it.[/quote]Should i run the CDSPEED on a disc that worked previously or the disc ive just tried to burn on my nero?im un.sure once i enter CDSPEED what im supposed to be downloading there are loads to choose from which one would you reccommend…they all want to scan my pc i cant find one that scans my disc?