I'm 99,9% sure that the new sony CRX185A is a rebagged Lite-On!

1: Sony DVD-ROM’s is produced by Lite-On.
2: The new sonys support “correct EFM encoding of regular bit-patterns” a feature Lite-On manufactured drives supports.
3: The front is nearly identical, same location for LED, manual eject hole and eject button…
4: The back is identical…
5: The drive seems identical else also…
6: It now supports overburn…
7: Lowest CD-R writing speed is 8X
8: Maximum CD-RW readspeed is 32X
9: The firmware naming scheme is identical to Lite-On.
10: This is the first sony drive not to support power-burn buffer-underrun prevention system, it have “another” buffer-underrun system.

The only main difference is that the Lite-On supports 12X re-writing and the sony only 10X.

If this is not a rebagged Lite-On, then call me a fool :stuck_out_tongue:

And it cost’s 50% more! :slight_smile:
You’re right it does look very similar… Only the led ís more squarish… And they call it “Power Burn” now…
So, for any of you who feel they have to much money, go and buy this drive! :slight_smile:
Strange that they lowered the RW to 10x…

Bcos I success flash SONY CRX185A to Lite-On LTR-32123S
:slight_smile:

I also have a sony burner (CRX175A2) and I had problems using the 1.1b firmware update on several pages. So I tried Ricoh’s MP7240 firmware and it worked!!! I think that sony does not make any of their burners. I think they are all rebadged. I am 99% sure that my sony is a ricoh. The justlink technology works perfect with the ricoh fimware. Sony’s powerburn was not as good and would slow down dramatically. Also my buffer during burning used to go down to 0, now it rarely goes under 97%. This shows that ricoh is the real manufacture since their fimware works a lot better.

Sony have made their drives theirself for many years.

But it seems like they have stopped doing so now.

did anyone else try this and get any further? does it work? is everything still working- buffer underun etc?

burn at 12x RW now?

By converting it to a Lite-On you will get the exact same features as the Lite-On have. 12X CD-RW as well.

I don’t think the Sony have any special features that you loose by converting it to a Lite-On…

hi guys I was goin to buy a Sony CDX-185A1 and was wondering that would it be possible to overclock it to 48X or itz not gonna happen???

thx,
satyam.

hi my friend has a CDX-185E3 iz this a liteon drive too if it is how to confirm this the firmware on this drive is L08f.

thx,
satyam.

ive got this same drive with the same firmware problem is when i try to flash it over to a liteon the firmware wont accept the flash at all itstead of the 00% things counting up they stay at 0 and just scroll through as zero for all the flash sectors any idea why? and yes im trying to flash with the 32 x “s” liteon drive firmware

Did you connect your drive as secondary slave?

yes i tried putting the drive in ALL possible configs sec/pri /master/ and slave still nothing seems to work it accepts a flash of the orginal sony firmware perfectly but mtkflash cant seem to flash the liteon firmware to it any ideas?

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]1: Sony DVD-ROM’s is produced by Lite-On.
2: The new sonys support “correct EFM encoding of regular bit-patterns” a feature Lite-On manufactured drives supports.
3: The front is nearly identical, same location for LED, manual eject hole and eject button…
4: The back is identical…
5: The drive seems identical else also…
6: It now supports overburn…
7: Lowest CD-R writing speed is 8X
8: Maximum CD-RW readspeed is 32X
9: The firmware naming scheme is identical to Lite-On.
10: This is the first sony drive not to support power-burn buffer-underrun prevention system, it have “another” buffer-underrun system.

The only main difference is that the Lite-On supports 12X re-writing and the sony only 10X.

If this is not a rebagged Lite-On, then call me a fool :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

It’s actually made by BTC.

BTC may be rebadging Lite-ons though, but 2 rebadges sounds a bit dodgy.