Ilo DVDR05 Review

I just wanted to let everyone know that our review of the Ilo DVDR05 machine went live today. The writing quality was better than I expected, but then again, my expecations were rather low. Here’s the link. I’ll be happy to discuss the review here, and answer any questions about my experience with the machine. In the end, not bad for just under $100.

Good review. Only one question: can it record from S-Video inputs too? I have the Ilo DVDR04, it has that option. Oh, one more question: were you able to determine what kind of drive is being used in it?

I can record from the TV tuner, RCA inputs, and the firewire port. I don’t think it can record from S video. I can’t determine what drive it uses. As I wanted to keep it, and it was a personal purchase, I wasn’t eager to take the unit apart just for curiousity. I’m sure it’s not a LiteOn drive from the appearance, and my reading about this model.

I found some additional pictures of the inside of the unit.

The rest of the pix can be seen here.

The top of the drive has that plastic thing that reminds me of the Benq 1640, but the chipset looks like a MediaTek. I’m curious myself, maybe someone will recognize it…

Wow, it really is just a 1600 in a Ilo chassis. I think the Cyberhome had a house brand burner in it…

As for the S-Video, it does look like it has an s-video input. Maybe it’s only activated when something’s hooked up to it?

As for the S-Video, it does look like it has an s-video input. Maybe it’s only activated when something’s hooked up to it?

The S-video should work when something is hooked up to it. I don’t have any TV’s that have any S-video hook ups so I don’t really know.

Is your test unit a ZU or a MU?? There seems to be a big difference, pro & cons for both units!!

Sorry, I should of read the report 1st!! ZU unit :doh:

Yes, definitely a ZU unit. I went to 4 Wal-Marts and the ZU was the only one available by me. Target has the Cyberhome twin model, and they had MU units, however, I didn’t like their 15% restocking fee.

Here’s the update on how the Ilo is doing.