Illegal Windows users receive free upgrade to legitimate Windows 10

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Illegal Windows users receive free upgrade to legitimate Windows 10[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/01/Windows10_hero-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Users running a pirated version of Windows will be able to upgrade to a legitimate Windows 10 version later this year.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/illegal-windows-users-receive-free-upgrade-to-legitimate-windows-10-75415/](http://www.myce.com/news/illegal-windows-users-receive-free-upgrade-to-legitimate-windows-10-75415/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

A unexpected move. But probably the only (slim) chance it has of persuading all those millions to upgrade from XP & 7.

Probably also reflects the fact that it sees its main source of future revenue being from services (& advertising no doubt), rather than OS sales. (Hopefully "renew the bond” doesn’t mean enslave.)

The announcement of an Android ROM is completely unexpected. I can’t believe they will support more than a handful of devices though. But just the thought that it [I][U]might[/U][/I] be possible to persuade an Intel tablet to dual-boot between Android & full Windows… Drool

(Would need a lot more storage than my Hudl 2 has though. :sad:)

Your article is incorrect, Microsoft confirmed this to be the case in China only, nowhere else. They may extend it or confirm other countries apply at some point, but for now the Reuters article only says China.

It seems that Microsoft has finally woken up. It is making moves that really surprise me lately. I am starting to believe that Windows 10 can be a big hit for them since they are aggressively going after market share in areas they have previously ignored. Just the possibility of being able to run W10 on an Android device is a great move on their part. Now if Android apps can run under W10 then things get real interesting.

If it’ll be china only, well screw it then :stuck_out_tongue: Could have considered it if they made it available to the EU too

I think they’ll make a huge stink if they have it in China only. The last thing they want is to have a public relations uproar leading up to the release of the operating system.

@Roho, I’m not sure this will be limited to China. This was said during an event in China, so I guess they’ve targeted the message to the audience. However I can’t deny it’s unclear! But why would they limit this to China, sure, there’s likely a Chinese version, but then everyone could download a Chinese Windows, change the language (with e.g. a language pack) and get the free upgrade. I think Windows 10 will be free for everyone, including pirates, at least the first year…

[I]The Verge [/I] ran a similar story from Reuters, and then got a confirmation statement from Microsoft about the upgrade being applicable to all users.

[I]“Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows,” says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies.”[/I]

@DoMiN8ToR, You are right this is not very clear but the Reuters article mentions China specifically and the Microsoft guy mentioned no other countries or areas. This article and some others around the web are reporting it’s worldwide and getting more from the original article than was said.Â

To say it’s confirmed in China and “may” be announced in future for other areas is one thing, to say it’s worldwide from the Reuters article is shear rumour and incorrect reporting at this point.

I’m surprised that Microsoft didn’t offer extra cash for upgrading.
Wonder how much the NSA paid Gates and Co. for making the offer?
Ponder the possibility of several hundred million machines running running Microsoft’s latest spyware?

Now a second confirmation that illegal copies of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 in any country will be allowed to upgrade to Windows 10:

[I]A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed via email that the plan to allow free upgrades for non-genuine copies of Windows applies to all markets and is not limited to China.[/I]

[QUOTE=olddancer;2750293]I’m surprised that Microsoft didn’t offer extra cash for upgrading.
Wonder how much the NSA paid Gates and Co. for making the offer?
Ponder the possibility of several hundred million machines running running Microsoft’s latest spyware?[/QUOTE]

Feel free to run OpenBSD or something else.

I doubt Gates has anything to do with this. Nadella is focusing more and more on online business. Perhaps his long term vision is that the operating system doesn’t matter, as long as your devices work together flawlessly.

The ultimate Trojan Horse?

So I can’t claim my (actually legit) Windows ME is pirated & get a “free” Windows 10 ?
Rhetorical question.

Both articles start out with :

users with a pirated version of Windows are also eligible for the free update of the operating system

millions of users of illegal versions of Windows

offering free upgrades to Windows 10 to [B]all Windows users[/B], regardless of whether they are running genuine copies of the software.

Then further down in the Reuters article the first qualifier:
Terry Myerson, who runs Microsoft’s operating systems unit, announced the plan at the WinHEC technology conference in Shenzhen, China.

We are upgrading all [B]qualified PCs[/B], genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," he said in a telephone interview with Reuters

Then the zdnet shows this is for Windows 7 & later.

An os whet everything is online.
Think wall to wall advertisements and total control.

I think it is a kill with kindness… Microsoft and the PC biz has taken it on the chin lately… with dismal sales of hardware… if they have to give away a version of the OS to spur sales and upgrades of new equipment-- it is a small price to pay to steal hardware market share from Android OS. Frankly, I’m disappointed that Android has not evolved at a minimum towards the Mac os model with decent driver support, multi-tasking support etc… Microsoft has a mega legacy in this space and for android OS not to keep up creates a huge opportunity for MS to reclaim it’s top spot.

Of course much is contingent upon W10 being something worth upgrading to

Interesting, it would seem logical for the Redmond giant to do the exact opposite. Microsoft has long been a copyright bully, so I’m afraid I’m going to have to look at this with at least some scepticism.

EDIT: so, they’re only doing this in China? I guess that makes sense, since China has divorced Windows. This is probably more about Microsoft trying to protect their Chinese presence than anything else.

No, its a worldwide thing, just see the zdnet link posted a few posts above (“A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed via email that the plan to allow upgrades for non-genuine copies of Windows applies to all markets and is not limited to China”)