ILLEGAL REQUEST: INVALID FIELD IN CDB (5:0x24:0x00)

I’ve looked through the help file and CloneCD FAQ for a description of the error message ILLEGAL REQUEST: INVALID FIELD IN CDB (5:0x24:0x00) with no luck. Anyone here familiar with this?

I have an HP 9100i CD-RW drive and Asus P4V Motherboard. I have turned DMA on and off on the HP drive, and the same error comes up on both occasions. Thanks in advance for any help you might have, and if any more info is needed just ask.

Normally this means buffer underrun if I’m correct. Have you tried to write at lower speed?

Did you try to copy on the fly?

You may try different media, but I doubt that is the problem.

This error happens immediately after I click the burn button, no matter what speed.

This happens with every game you try to backup?

Try to read to the image file again.

You have the newest CloneCD version?

clonecd 3.3.4.1

I’ve tried several images.

OGT, I have a HP CDWriter Plus 9100i too, and I have seen the problem some times.
Ok, look, this has happened to me when you try to burn in a disc area that cannot be burned… mean, when you’re trying to overburn more that the cd capacity (ever with overburning).
I don’t know why it happens when you try to start the burning.
As I told you, I have seen the problem with overburning, and if you check the message (INVALID FIELD REQUEST) it is logical the source of it, isn’t it? You are requesting to write where it’s not possible.
Anyway, try to disable any burning program / service in the background, like DirectCD or the burning feature of WinXP.
What system do you have?

BTW, you speak spanish, don’t you?

The error could also indicate a DMA problem or a problem with the write mode. Are you sure your HP drive RAW DAO? What (which protection) are you trying to copy?

CDB - it’s a problem of the reader (the URL will help explain it…)

Originally posted by OGT
[B]I’ve looked through the help file and CloneCD FAQ for a description of the error message ILLEGAL REQUEST: INVALID FIELD IN CDB (5:0x24:0x00) with no luck. Anyone here familiar with this?

I have an HP 9100i CD-RW drive and Asus P4V Motherboard. I have turned DMA on and off on the HP drive, and the same error comes up on both occasions. Thanks in advance for any help you might have, and if any more info is needed just ask. [/B]

Which 9100i? (Exact name from Inquiry, please!)
Very likely that this writer simply doesn’t work with CloneCD.

As I said I have an HP CD-Writer Plus 9100i, and it works with CloneCD. Also, it supports DAO RAW, and Overburning when writting in DAO RAW.
CloneCD officially supports it, you can check in the Compatibility list. The problem must be with some other program running in the background… or maybe the laser.

My guess it’s a problem with your drive…

Have HP have a look a it for you, i had the same problem with mine.

I obtain the same error when I try to overburn a cd with my Plex1210a. Could anyone explain it?
Thanks.

Originally posted by glottis
I obtain the same error when I try to overburn a cd with my Plex1210a. Could anyone explain it?
Thanks.

You mean like trying to put an 80’ disc game onto a 74’ disc? Different burners react in different ways to overburning. Most overnurning is conducted in the Lead In & Lead Out areas which many burners can’t cope with

Thanks for the info guys, I grabbed nero and it works perfectly. The drive is listed as 100% compatible in clonecd, more modes than I actually expected. I wouldn’t run direct CD on any of your PC’s, let alone mine 8P. I also don’t run any software in the background, I keep the box tip top.

I took some spanish in high school, but I’m not fluent by any means.

I also had this problem with a HP Cd Writer+ 9100b, CloneCd 4.0.1.10 on win95 (osr2).
I Fixed it by changing the write mode from RAW-DAO to RAW-SAO (the mode recommended in the help file hardware list). The real trouble was it’s a little difficult to actually find where to change the write mode… right click on the cd-writer icon when you’re about to write an image.