Ikernel.exe - Application Error

vbimport

Hi,
i was wondering if anyone knows what this means in Windows XP Pro with SP1:

ikernel.exe - Application Error
The instruction at “0x771c741a” referenced memory at “0x00163650” The memory could not be read click on ok to terminate the program

any info back is appreciated :confused: :bow:

I used to get this error using kazaa lite when i updated it but didn’t uninstall the previous version. So i would say whatever proggy your using uninstall it then reboot and install it again

After some searching, I’ve come to the conclusion that ikernel.exe is the core of the Windows Installshield.

I found quite some reports by people with this problem. There where quite some causes: bad memory, bad psu, virus infected system etc etc

I think you’d best start eleminating possibilities, since there is a huge number of possible causes. I’d start by testing my memory, using MemtestX86 (www.memtest86.com)…

Thanks for the info but i cant see it being bad memory as windows xp wouldve produced a stop error at bootup or something and this also happens to my friends and on my TAFE’s computers once in a blue moon, i have 3 pc’s with xp on them and it happens to all of them also. how can it be a bad psu???

i will give that prog a try and let u all know how it goes

what is it you are doing when this error happens?

Well withy my 3 pc’s running xp, my friends pcs running xp, and Tafe computers running xp it just comes up once in a blue moon when u close a program but everything seems to work fine, games, play, movies play everything is stable etc

its probably xp, full of bugs

when you close a program which program?

Originally posted by Daniel Rossi
[B]Thanks for the info but i cant see it being bad memory as windows xp wouldve produced a stop error at bootup or something and this also happens to my friends and on my TAFE’s computers once in a blue moon, i have 3 pc’s with xp on them and it happens to all of them also. how can it be a bad psu???

i will give that prog a try and let u all know how it goes [/B]

Bad hardware can cause random errors…

The PSU can be too weak to keep your system stable…

ps. I’m not saying that this is the cause of your problems. It could be software as well (chances are about equal). By eliminating possibilities (shut down all programs and processes you don’t need) and start them one by one, you can find out if there’s any software causing this problem. Make sure that the problem is reproducable, so you know for sure this isn’t a random generated error…

when you close a program …hmmmm…spring break next week - investigate then.

it just happens randomly once in a blue moon meaning very rare, most likely it is just software coz u see it once then thats it till whenevr, its very hard to source the prog as like i said before, im running that memtest on the computers and everything seems fine so far, its probably just like a car, has its ups and downs etc

all the pcs have 300w psu’s

if ecc option in bios isnt on, is it best to have it on???

Try this link: http://java.sun.com/getjava/GJTSW001.html

It is a recognized bug in wXP. There is a hotfix for it or one can wait for the SP2 that is coming…

Tim

I had that problem on my xp comp for a while. It turned out that it was the Norman av/pf that caused it. When I switched av and pf the problem was gone

Hello,
I actually came across the said error a few days ago.
After replacing my soundblaster live with soundblaster live 5.1
digital the above error code appeared. I’ll reinstalled the drivers for my sound card and haven’t encountered the problem since.
I think that you’ll find it’s software related.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

It happens with a variety of software, particularly Creative’s install program for Audigy cards, AV programs, etc. It is because it is an error with the installshield program that is partly due to a updated for Windows XP that creates the problem. Sun have a ref. to it and where to get the “fix for the fix” from the MS site.

I had the prob. with Audigy2. Applied the fix and reinstalled the Audigy2 software and it installed correctly.

I’ve seen it with Norton AV after a wXP update. The update goes back to last year. Apply the patch and Norton AV no longer has the problem.:slight_smile: