iHBS312: blue laser always on?

vbimport

I recently bought this drive, disassembled to see what’s inside, compared with photos of the 112th model (because the photo 212-th model in the internet I could not find) and found the only difference - the chip-driver focus/tracking of head. Everything else is identical (well, except for the inscription on the revision of the board).
But this is all nonsense and I would not write for it.
The most incomprehensible to me was that the blue laser in the drive is always on! It lights up immediately after power supply is on. He lights not brightly, but only slightly visible. He begins to burn brightly only when reading BD.
But, nevertheless, it is worrying me: should always be a blue laser is turned on? Who has such drive - take a look, please, can he in all lite-ons always on, may only in this model, and maybe this is just my copy of this?
The inscription on the drive: “iHBS312-32 2”
If anyone interested, I can put photos of the inside.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

hmm… I would really like some more insight into this, I cannot fathom why a manufacturer would oversee such a waste of power. There can’t be a reason for this can it? I will have a look at the idle power req.s of this model on the Liteon hp right away, I was just moments from ordering this online! Hope there is something to be found there…

edit of course there is nothing to be found. I guess in green times like these it is not necessary for a big company like LiteonODD to provide something like idle and use power usage data. I mean I can pay my power bills, but after spending considerable time on putting together an eco powerhorse of a PC and weighting every component carefully, such a wildcard frustrates me immensely right now.

[QUOTE=hansebee;2658014]hmm… I would really like some more insight into this, I cannot fathom why a manufacturer would oversee such a waste of power. I will have a look at the idle power req.s of this model on the Liteon hp right away, I was just moments from ordering this online! Hope there is something to be found there…[/QUOTE]

I doubt that this is limited to one manufacturer. The question was also asked in another thread and confirmed as normal. It is very possibly a result of manufacturers striving for a quicker start-up/read/recognition of the disc inserted. It also occurs to me that this may be required to lengthen the lifespan of the blue laser diode by avoiding a larger inrush of current when activated.

It’s possible the same situation occurs for the CD/DVD optics in drives; the manufacturers do state that a small amount of radiation occurs even if the laser looks like it’s off. It’s possible that the blue is just more visible than the red laser, but both are equally “on” while idling but powered on.

well, that puts me at ease… I am afraid I am a little nitpicky for such things…

[QUOTE=hansebee;2658017]well, that puts me at ease… I am afraid I am a little nitpicky for such things…[/QUOTE]

You are in the right place. Many of us have a tendency to want to know ALL the ins and outs of our electronics :).

It would still be pretty interesting to see if other drives with the same chipset do the same thing. Or if it is just this drive. Or perhaps a liteon thing.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2658015]It is very possibly a result of manufacturers striving for a quicker start-up/read/recognition of the disc inserted. It also occurs to me that this may be required to lengthen the lifespan of the blue laser diode by avoiding a larger inrush of current when activated.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, the opposite is true: when you turn on laser is not leaking more current compared to its normal operation. Ie a small glow of - it’s still a resource reduction diode, rather than an increase.
And any more quickly assess the discs it does not promote!

[QUOTE=Albert;2658016]It’s possible the same situation occurs for the CD/DVD optics in drives; the manufacturers do state that a small amount of radiation occurs even if the laser looks like it’s off. It’s possible that the blue is just more visible than the red laser, but both are equally “on” while idling but powered on.[/QUOTE]
Infrared laser (for reading CD) - yes, this is possible because his range beyond the visible to the human eye, but the usual red laser (for reading DVD) see eye just as blue. Therefore, this assumption is also unlikely to correct.

[QUOTE=ghogan42;2658033]It would still be pretty interesting to see if other drives with the same chipset do the same thing. Or if it is just this drive. Or perhaps a liteon thing.[/QUOTE]
I asked this same question in a forum for repair, where a few people said to me that other BD-drives blue light when operating without disk is missing.

[QUOTE=JeWell;2658057]
I asked this same question in a forum for repair, where a few people said to me that other BD-drives blue light when operating without disk is missing.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this info. Do you know which BD-R drives did not have the laser lit at idle? Which forum discussed this?

Thinking about it more, I remembered that ASUS BD-R drives claim to have a “Green” feature to reduce power usage. Perhaps this is involved in their power saving strategy.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2658292]Which forum discussed this?[/QUOTE]
Hello!
I asked a question on the forum monitor.net.ru (this is Russian forum): http://monitor.net.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=435764

And what else I can add: the quality of DVD recording compared to Asus DRW-2014L1T (second disk drive, which i have) strangely enough is worse on the test results Opti Drive Control.