IHBS112 and PL06

vbimport

I just upgraded my firmware to PL06 using Lite-On’s flash utility and now Imgburn sees any media I put in the drive as incompatible. I also notice that when I put any media in the drive I hear a chirping sound from the drive and windows explorer never shows that there is any disc in the drive. I want to go back to PL05 but the flash utility or the stand-alone firmware flash executable won’t downgrade.

Anyone else seeing this? I am using Win8 64 bit but I am seeing the same behavior in Win7 32 bit.

No, I can’t confirm your situation.
More over, in my opinion, my iHBS112-115 with PL06 works better with not-so-good medias as CMC.

So you are saying that you upgraded your firmware to PL06 in the same drive as me and your drive is working fine? Maybe my drive just went bad coincidentally. Don’t know if it matters but my drive is iHBS112-04.

[QUOTE=G-Host;2667231]No, I can’t confirm your situation.
More over, in my opinion, my iHBS112-115 with PL06 works better with not-so-good medias as CMC.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are right.
I upgraded my iHBS112 (ImgBurn says “iHBS 112 2”) from PL05 to PL06 using SmartPack and now it’s working good. I think - better then PL05.
BTW, OS is Windows 7 x64.

I also upgrade to PL06 from PL05 and everything is working OK so far.

ok thanks to both of you for the reply. I think the bearings went in my drive which is why I am hearing the squeaking and why the drive is no longer working. Guess it was just a coincidence that just after the firmware upgrade the bearings went. I took apart the drive and when I shake the motor I hear the bearings moving around.

[QUOTE=vroom;2667240]I also upgrade to PL06 from PL05 and everything is working OK so far.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=stu54;2667227]I just upgraded my firmware to PL06 using Lite-On’s flash utility and now Imgburn sees any media I put in the drive as incompatible. I also notice that when I put any media in the drive I hear a chirping sound from the drive and windows explorer never shows that there is any disc in the drive. I want to go back to PL05 but the flash utility or the stand-alone firmware flash executable won’t downgrade.

Anyone else seeing this? I am using Win8 64 bit but I am seeing the same behavior in Win7 32 bit.[/QUOTE]

same here i’m having a issue with this

Update: I returned the drive to Lite-On and they replaced it under warranty. I had 1 week left on the warranty.

[QUOTE=stu54;2669902]Update: I returned the drive to Lite-On and they replaced it under warranty. I had 1 week left on the warranty.[/QUOTE]

did you have any hassles & how long did it take to get your replacement drive

[QUOTE=d0p3y2k4;2669907]did you have any hassles & how long did it take to get your replacement drive[/QUOTE]

I called their tech support and the guy on the phone wanted to try to hear the squeek from the drive on the phone (don’t know if he could hear it) but ultimately he gave me the RMA because the serial number on the drive indicated it was still in warranty. Took about 2 weeks from the time I sent it back until I got my replacement. I did not need to send him my original receipt. Of course, you have to pay the postage to send the old drive back.

[QUOTE=stu54;2669908]snip.[/QUOTE]

thanks. i will most likely rma it since i have only owned it a couple months

by any chance do you happen to have ATAPI_iHBS112_2_PL06 back up from eeprom

[QUOTE=d0p3y2k4;2669909]thanks. i will most likely rma it since i have only owned it a couple months

by any chance do you happen to have ATAPI_iHBS112_2_PL06 back up from eeprom[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don’t. I would have tried the downgrade first to see if it was a firmware problem but the flash utility from Lite-On will not allow you to flash an older version. You might try this link for older firmware http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHBS112%2B2/files.html

it wont let me upgrade/downgrade i get this message

[QUOTE=d0p3y2k4;2669909]
by any chance do you happen to have ATAPI_iHBS112_2_PL06 back up from eeprom[/QUOTE]

Do you really hate your drive so much that you want to kill it?

Unlike the firmware, the EEPROM of each drive is unique (contains unique factory calibration data for each individual drive) and therefore one should never flash another drive’s EEPROM to their own drive…

yeah i do. it wont let me burn or write anything after i used smartpack to upgrade the firmware.

[QUOTE=d0p3y2k4;2669922]yeah i do. it wont let me burn or write anything after i used smartpack to upgrade the firmware.[/QUOTE]

That sounds rather unusual, and my first thought would definitely not be to blame it on the PL06 firmware … it sounds more like a system issue than a firmware issue.

Have you tried things such as:

• trying to burn using a different burning software, or
  • uninstalling the drive (remove it from Device Manager) and then let it install again, or
  • trying to use the drive in another machine, which would rule out any other possible issues than the drive itself?

Its worth trying in order to make sure that the issue you’re experiencing is not a system related or ImgBurn related issue …

everything was fine until i updated the firmware
imgburn , nero , anydvd & clonedvd worked 100% with out any problems

and i did everything above nothing works

[QUOTE=d0p3y2k4;2669932]everything was fine until i updated the firmware
imgburn , nero , anydvd & clonedvd worked 100% with out any problems
[/QUOTE]

I know what you’re saying, but things are not always what they seem to be, hence my earlier suggestions… but if you tried the drive in a different computer, and you get the same symptoms, then clearly the fault is with the drive itself …

Thankfully, something like this doesn’t happen often at all, but it seems that something must have happened during the firmware update …

You can try going back to the previous firmware version using the unlocked flasher method. You’ll have to flash your drive with the PL01 dump available on the forum using the unlocked flasher method, and then you can use the official PL05 flasher to upgrade your drive back to PL05. Maybe that would cure it. If it doesn’t, then your drive must have developed some sort of fault and you’ll have to RMA it.

You can find the necessary details in this thread: http://club.myce.com/f61/asus-bw-12b1st-any-thoughts-burner-323370/

thank you cvs that method worked now my drives working 100% again

I know this post is quite old (sorry for the bump), but for the sake of helping others out and pointing them to tools that may help as well;

Refer to my post at:

The tool is for the iHAS124 D 8L0A, but you can use it for other models. Read the FW from the drive, re-write it and let it fail writing, this will erase your flash and you can then use PL05.exe to upgrade the firmware back to PL05.