iHAS624 not reading [some] pressed Audio CD's

vbimport

Hey folks,

I didn’t want to tag this onto the bottom of the review page for this drive (which I sort of was doing before), so here’s a new thread.

Drive seems to be work OK I guess, except I have run into a few problems.

As the title suggests, I am having difficulty getting the drive to read a couple of Audio CD’s, which were shop bought not CD-R.

REM - Automatic for the People
Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will (Enhaced CD)
there maybe more, but I haven’t checked my whole catalogue yet.

I put the disc in the drive and it lights it’s little activity LED on the front, and then goes out. I look in my computer, no disc icon. If I double click it tells me to inset a disc into drive.
WMP won’t honour there even being a disc either.
I looked using Nero tools that came on the disc with the retail drive, and although it can’t read the disc, it knows there is a disc in there. It just says no disc in drive if I try and do anything.

I bunged the same discs in the Samsung SH-203B and that read them with no hassles at all, as if there wasn’t a problem.

It’s not the discs being faulty, as they play in a separate DVD player also. The new drive will play some other audio CD’s, so it’s not like it is having a major malfunction. This drive also played P!nk Enhanced CD’s too, so that’s not the issue.

It seems to me a bit of a windows/drive/firmware/driver or a disc copy protection issue.

I’m sure my 7yr old Win98se PC did it a couple of times with an old Samsung DVD-ROM not wanting to read a CD, but the Ricoh-MP7200A would. Then all of a sudden the DVD-ROM would again.

Anyone know how to fix it?
I looked around and haven’t really found the solution - lot’s of people asking similar questions with all manor of different drives.

I recently updated firmware for the drive too GL24 to GL27, that made no difference.

I have a second problem, concerning a CD-RW Hi-Speed 4-12X (10X).
I has written it as an audio CD in the Samsung, and successfully erased in the LiteOn.
However, when trying to burn a new audio CD (in EAC), it keeps jamming up.
“Write error. Write blocks. Logical unit not ready. Long Write In Progress”

The LED stays on the drive, EAC can be quitted, and windows rebooted, but the drive will not let me stop it, remove the disc or anything. It needs a power down and power up to allow ejection of the disc, and reset the drive.

I chuck the same disc back in the drive and there appears to be a track there (from the previous burn, before erase). So leads me to believe that the erase is not completing, and the LiteOn seeing data already written to the disc.

Tried a full erase in CDBurnerXP instead of the quick erase. Nope, same problem.
Samsung doesn’t have an issue at all - erase in Samsung, then write and all is hunky dory.

I need to be able to write the disc in the LiteOn so I can determine the write offset.
Read offset is +6 (just like the Samsung).

Cheers.

Well, with respect to part 2 of my above question, regarding CD-RW.

I managed to erase and burn an Audio CD with CDBurnerXP. It took a while to erase it, but it did and then burnt it fine.
So the problem of burning lies within EAC and it’s lack of support for this drive, obviously.
Shame, I’d like to adjust offsets, maybe I could attempt to use Nero Essentials 9.

Anyway, that problem is essentially not an issue which should concern anyone - it’s EAC.

[QUOTE=16bit;2574829]
As the title suggests, I am having difficulty getting the drive to read a couple of Audio CD’s, which were shop bought not CD-R.

[/QUOTE]Are these copy protected?

Michael

Thanks for the reply.
I don’t think they are to be honest. Although, that would be a suitable and simple explanation.

I’ll pull out my Pink Floyd - The Division Bell soon and try that. We have 2 copies of that album, an old one bought in 1994 when it came out, and another bought around 1998-2000 which has protection on the last track, because the later caused a lot of problems ripping in EAC with my Samsung drive. Once out of 7 attempts did it do it properly!

Is there a specific software which will tell of copy protection? I can read the disc in the Samsung, so maybe some software will read the disc for that drive and indicate.

Second problem completely resolved:
Set EAC to use CDDAO write method. Erased the CD-RW, burnt one track, checked the .wav’s and corrected the write offset. Re-burned the original track, and re-ripped, and it reads the same as the original.

For anyone who needs it:
LiteOn iHAS624 - Read Offset +6, Write Offset +6
Samsung SH-203B - Read Offset +6, Write Offset -6

I burnt my first CD-R Audio on this drive, Verbatim ExtraProtection 97m17s06f, MBI.
Overburn to 80m08s and it’s fine.
Strangely when testing capacity with simulation, it suggested the disc could go to 93minutes! Well, a few seconds worked just fine.

[QUOTE=16bit;2574829]Hey folks,

Drive seems to be work OK I guess, except I have run into a few problems.

there maybe more, but I haven’t checked my whole catalogue yet.

I put the disc in the drive and it lights it’s little activity LED on the front, and then goes out. I look in my computer, no disc icon. If I double click it tells me to inset a disc into drive.
WMP won’t honour there even being a disc either.
I looked using Nero tools that came on the disc with the retail drive, and although it can’t read the disc, it knows there is a disc in there. It just says no disc in drive if I try and do anything.

I bunged the same discs in the Samsung SH-203B and that read them with no hassles at all, as if there wasn’t a problem.

It’s not the discs being faulty, as they play in a separate DVD player also. The new drive will play some other audio CD’s, so it’s not like it is having a major malfunction. This drive also played P!nk Enhanced CD’s too, so that’s not the issue.

It seems to me a bit of a windows/drive/firmware/driver or a disc copy protection issue.

I’m sure my 7yr old Win98se PC did it a couple of times with an old Samsung DVD-ROM not wanting to read a CD, but the Ricoh-MP7200A would. Then all of a sudden the DVD-ROM would again.

Anyone know how to fix it?
I looked around and haven’t really found the solution - lot’s of people asking similar questions with all manor of different drives.

I recently updated firmware for the drive too GL24 to GL27, that made no difference.

[/QUOTE]
Hi,

It seems that I have the same problem with my Liteon iHAS 624, I have notice that the problem started after I ripped one Cd and then the drive won’t read it anymore, although my standalone cd player has no problem doing that. It seems that only the recently bought (newer) Cd s can not be played by it, with the older ones it has no problem.
It’s very annoying cause I bought it for it’s acclaimed accurate readings and I can not use it in that manner.

Did you manage to find a solution?
Anyone?
Thanx in advance,
Darius.

It’s a copy protection problem. I am under the impression that it doesn’t like some/most of the copy protection routines, no matter how stupidly easy they are for other drives to dodge.
My older Samsung SH203B just motors through pretty easily, never had a dis that it’s been fussy with yet. It also seemed to do a better job of scanning a scratched (unplayable/skipping) CD than the iH624. Neither drive actually ripped the whole track, but there was more yanked out with the old Sammy.

I’ve updated firmware, and I’m back to having burning problems again. I think it maybe that I might need the old EAC version to utilise the older CDDAO mode, to employ a write offset and actually get the disc to burn. I had to use Nero, and I hate that program with a passion (can’t turn off CD-text etc easily). Burrrr?n also failed on me with this new drive. I think it is just a bit too new to have proper freeware software support for it yet.

A shame :frowning:

My iHAS624 is the same.

The drive is unable to initialise 2 of the 6 pressed Audio CD’s I’ve just tried in it. It just reports that it isn’t ready and sets ASC/ASCQ to ‘Medium Not Present - Tray Closed’, even after cycling the tray several times.

I was about to order another in case mine was just faulty but it seems to be a generic issue and so I won’t bother. Hopefully LiteOn can fix the issue with a future firmware update.

:eek:
This is really ugly. Admitted, Liteon DVD writers weren’t good with CD at least from the time they sold 16x DVD writers. But now they seem to kill that feature totally. If you are into CD applications, then get a non-Liteon drive.

Michael

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2607778]My iHAS624 is the same.

The drive is unable to initialise 2 of the 6 pressed Audio CD’s I’ve just tried in it. It just reports that it isn’t ready and sets ASC/ASCQ to ‘Medium Not Present - Tray Closed’, even after cycling the tray several times.

I was about to order another in case mine was just faulty but it seems to be a generic issue and so I won’t bother. Hopefully LiteOn can fix the issue with a future firmware update.[/QUOTE]

It’s amazing that they let something like that on the market. :eek:

Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’ve tried to get in contact with Wind and see what he says about it… the damn email bounced though!

I had to go the generic LiteOn ODD support route instead - now I need to wait and see if I can get the details of someone in the R&D / Engineering departments.

The thing that’s annoyed me the most today though is learning that a bug I found in the ‘iHAS324 A BL1P’ firmware (which was a problem on all other LiteOn models at the time too - and even some Samsung drives) was fixed in a test firmware Wind sent me (BLTP) but STILL hasn’t been applied to any other drive - not even the new ‘iHASx24 B’ models!

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2607812]The thing that’s annoyed me the most today though is learning that a bug I found in the ‘iHAS324 A BL1P’ firmware (which was a problem on all other LiteOn models at the time too - and even some Samsung drives) was fixed in a test firmware Wind sent me (BLTP) but STILL hasn’t been applied to any other drive - not even the new ‘iHASx24 B’ models![/QUOTE]

Bizarre, although perhaps we’ll learn what the reasons are eventually.

It’s good to know that they’ve already got a fix at hand though.

Out of curiosity, how long ago did Wind send you BLTP firmware?

[B]Wombler[/B]

4th May 2010… so it’s not like they haven’t had plenty of time! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2607820]4th May 2010… so it’s not like they haven’t had plenty of time! :p[/QUOTE]

Wow, I see what you mean! :eek:

Very strange. :iagree:

Let’s hope your timely reminder will get things moving though as that’s quite a significant bug.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Ah sorry, the bug they fixed in May 2010 is nowhere near as visible as the Audio CD one.

I just noticed it because of what I do :slight_smile:

I added a workaround so end users would never see the issue it caused to ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2607823]Ah sorry, the bug they fixed in May 2010 is nowhere near as visible as the Audio CD one.

I just noticed it because of what I do :slight_smile:

I added a workaround so end users would never see the issue it caused to ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]

Ah right, two different things.

That’s maybe not quite so good then.

You’re always very thorough so I have to say I don’t find it too surprising that you’re ahead of the game on that one too. ;):clap:

[B]Wombler[/B]