iHAS524-T98A At Newegg

vbimport

Is my memory shot or is the Lite-On iHAS524-T98A on Newegg different than what they pictured before?

I could have sworn that the drive had Smart-Erase on it a week or two ago. The model shown and the nearly non-existent text on the drive makes no mention of Smart-Erase.

Isn’t Smart-Erase a marker for the MTK chip of a true Lite-On, and therefore a great scanner? Seems like this Newegg model might be the NEC chip which is not much different than my Sony Optiarc 7240S.

I guess by waiting for a better price I screwed the pooch. :doh:

Any ideas on where to find an MTK-chipped iHAS524 in the States?

The T98A makes me think it is an NEC chipset…that really sucks!

Hmmmmm it is hard to say for sure but by looking at the plug ins on the
back of the drive it has the same kind of plug ins as the MTK chip set drives
have. All of the NEC drives that I have seen have a flat surface on the plug ins
and do not have the little metal pieces shaped like a large flat U shape.

It is hard to go by the pictures they have up on any of the sites now days as the
drives can change from MTK to NEC chip sets without them changing the pictures
the only way is if it says in the drives description that it has Smart Erase.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2535829]The T98A makes me think it is an NEC chipset…that really sucks![/QUOTE]

If you look at the picture of the SATA connectors, they look like those of a true LiteOn drive with the MTK chipset. But Newegg might switch drive types (from true LiteOn to NEC and vice versa) without warning.

[QUOTE=getit29;2535837]Hmmmmm it is hard to say for sure but by looking at the plug ins on the
back of the drive it has the same kind of plug ins as the MTK chip set drives
have. All of the NEC drives that I have seen have a flat surface on the plug ins
and do not have the little metal pieces shaped like a large flat U shape.

It is hard to go by the pictures they have up on any of the sites now days as the
drives can change from MTK to NEC chip sets without them changing the pictures
the only way is if it says in the drives description that it has Smart Erase.[/QUOTE]
I saw the backend picture of the drive and noticed the 2 metal lips/ramps/whatevers, one each in front of the SATA and power connectors. That made me think it might be an MTK chipped drive. But, as you said, you can’t trust pictures these days.

That’s why the description became even more important. NO Smart-Erase, which has meant it’s not a true MTK Lite-On drive.

That’s why I’m asking the forum about this. I thought they had the real deal MTK drives initially but now seem to be NEC chipped dime a dozen drives. No wonder they dropped the price a lot.

So, anyone know where you can get one from a reputable retailor that doesn’t require half your paycheck?

Seems that Lite-On decided to not sell the MTK-chipped drives in the USA for now. Their website and earlier announcement mentions Smartburn and Smart-X (both sound nice to have) but no Smart-Erase.

IMO, this NEC-chipped drive hardly adds much utility over numerous other drives. LabelTag is nice and all but probably not efficient use of time and effort. Even 24X is more bragging than useful if you want lower PIE/PIF burns.

This NEC-chipped drive is particularly unuseful for those looking for a drive with the legendary Lite-On scan capabilities.

Sucks! :a

[QUOTE=bulletx;2535865]Label Tag is nice and all but probably not efficient use of time and effort. [/QUOTE]

Label Tag isn’t anything special not really worth the time or effort IMO. :disagree:
I did the cross flash on one of my Asus drives to the 524 with Label Tag
and tried it out and found it was more trouble than it was worth so I just
flashed it back to a 324 instead. :iagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2535947]Label Tag isn’t anything special not really worth the time or effort IMO. :disagree:
I did the cross flash on one of my Asus drives to the 524 with Label Tag
and tried it out and found it was more trouble than it was worth so I just
flashed it back to a 324 instead. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I was being “nice”. For me, it’s a complete waste of expense and parts.

Hi,

Are LiteOn iHAS524-T98A useless at scanning?

[QUOTE=NBK;2535969]Hi,

Are LiteOn iHAS524-T98A useless at scanning?[/QUOTE]

I’m trying to figure out what chip this Newegg drive uses. Whichever chip it has, it is not useless, just more or less useful.

Lite-On drives with MTK chips, the “true” Lite-On’s, have historically been some of the best scanners available in the consumer (inexpensive) market.

Lite-Ons made with the NEC chips are not as good/trusted for scanning.

IIRC, the NEC chip is less costly than the MTK chip. I have also read, but may not be remembering correctly, that the NEC chips are better burners on a case by case basis. Maybe someone else can comment on the truth of this.

I never did have a lot of luck getting good burns with the NEC chip-set drives like my 2 now retired 7240S’s
IMO the MTK chip-set drives put the NEC drives to shame on burning at least the ones I had anyway and
besides the old BenQ drives the MTK drives are great scanners. :iagree:

[QUOTE=bulletx;2535975]IIRC, the NEC chip is less costly than the MTK chip. I have also read, but may not be remembering correctly, that the NEC chips are better burners on a case by case basis. Maybe someone else can comment on the truth of this.[/QUOTE]

I have 5 NEC-chip Pioneers (2x115, 2x116, 1x117) and absolutely love the burning quality on all 5 of them. Like getit29, I’ve retired two 7240S and a 7241S because the burning quality was ‘meh’, plus a lot of DL Verbatims seemed to fail when finalizing. It’s pretty much like you said: a case by case basis.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2536110] It’s pretty much like you said: a case by case basis.[/QUOTE]

Exactly :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

What works for one person may not work all that good for another. :bigsmile:

An off topic question for you guys with so many different drives - which one(s) burn DVD-R the best. All my drives burn DVD+R well, and the Optiarc 7240S does +DL well enough. I’ve never owned a drive that burned DVD-R well and I have a lot of -R media on the shelf waiting for the right drive.

I have also read, but may not be remembering correctly, that the NEC chips are better burners on a case by case basis. Maybe someone else can comment on the truth of this.

NEC chipset drives can be the best burners on the planet, if they’re designed right and have good firmware.

The old Pioneer 111/211 through 117/217 series and the Sony/Optiarc 7200/7201/7203 series drives were great. Not only that, but both the PATA and SATA versions of the drives worked equally well. They are what gave NEC it’s modern reputation.

Unfortunately, in the switch to the Sony/Optiarc 7240 and 7260 series of SATA-only drives, something was lost. They don’t burn as well (except for DL media), don’t feel as mechanically well put together, and frankly, we’re all just sick of seeing them because they are now the only game in town. All of the rebadged Lite-On drives that use NEC chipsets are using some variation of the 7240/7260 design. There is no technological diversity, which is bad. You’re stuck with a bunch of drives with different model numbers and names, which are all essentially the same. Just about everyone here already owns an original Optiarc AD-7240S or AD-7260S. We want a NEW drive, not the same freaking drive with a new name slapped on it. Where is the variety? Where is the innovation? Where is the excitement? THAT is what people are disappointed and upset about. They LOVE the NEC chipset, they just don’t love what’s happened to it in the last year or two.

I’m glad I stocked up on the older NEC drives when they were available new. The newer ones are just not as good.

Also, in regards to NEC vs. MediaTek, over time, there has been an exponential improvement in the burning quality of drives based on MediaTek chipsets. In the old days, people used to laugh at Lite-Ons and other MediaTek-based drives as being crappy burners, and only useful for scanning. Those days are long gone. It all started with the Samsung SH-S182D and SH-S203B, along with the Lite-On LH-20A1P and DH-20A4P, each of which set new standards for burning consistency and quality that hadn’t been seen before in MediaTek drives. Now, drives like the MediaTek-chipset Samsung SH-S243N are considered to be the best burners on the market, period. So, while people still value MediaTek drives for their scanning abilities, they’re no longer slouches in the burning department either.

[QUOTE=bulletx;2535687]I could have sworn that the drive had Smart-Erase on it a week or two ago. The model shown and the nearly non-existent text on the drive makes no mention of Smart-Erase.

Isn’t Smart-Erase a marker for the MTK chip of a true Lite-On, and therefore a great scanner? Seems like this Newegg model might be the NEC chip which is not much different than my Sony Optiarc 7240S.[/QUOTE]

KTL owns a 524 and it’s an MTK, despite the absence of the SmartErase logo (see post #38).

http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-124-234-324-524-624-help-my-brain-explodes-273574/index2.html

The iHAS524 (-32 ‘A’) I own was bought in Asia that my friend had brought back, the iHAS524 (T98A) that is coming on Friday is from NE, I post pictures up of both drives for comparison afterwards.

I got my date mixed up since I just received the iHAS524 T98 from NE and it IS a MTK-based (1879LE) chipset drive. The picture on NE is accurate with regards to front face, there’s NO SmartErase logo, but has a LabelTag on there. I’ll post pictures up when I get home from work.

[B]negritude:[/B]
Thank you for the superb perspective on the MTK and NEC chipped drives. Sounds like the Samsung SH-S243N is a winner in both burning and scanning. For $25, the Samsung sounds like a great value.

[B]KTL:[/B]
Thank you for the additional information verifying the Newegg drive as MTK chipped. I personally do not care about Smart-Erase, just thought that if it wasn’t advertised then it wasn’t a true MTK Lite-On drive. For curiosity sake, does your iHAS524-T98A have Smart-Erase capability?

Look forward to your pictures and comments!

[QUOTE=bulletx;2536405][B]negritude:[/B]
Thank you for the superb perspective on the MTK and NEC chipped drives. Sounds like the Samsung SH-S243N is a winner in both burning and scanning. For $25, the Samsung sounds like a great value.[/QUOTE]

Two important caveats:

(1) Samsung drives do not provide jitter results.

(2) Samsung drives work best at only 4x scanning speed.

If you want to scan for jitter or at 8x, get a Lite-On.