iHAS424 iHAS124 Help / Flashing LED

vbimport

New around these parts. Did a few searches but did not come up with the info I needed.

My daughter got a Karaoke Machine for X-Mas. She asked me if I could burn some Karaoke (mp3+G) discs for her. Nero Info said that both my burners did not support +G. After some looking around I found that I needed new firmware to enable that feature. Went to Firmware IQ website and downloaded the firmware for my drives (iHAS124 Y, iHAS424 Y). Needless to say the iHAS424 one failed with an error but the iHAS124 took or a least that is what it said. What I have now are TWO drives with blinking green LEDs. They will not open not even during system boot-up. Running Nero info shows a different firmware that what I have flashed.

Is there any hope. Did I fry BOTH my burners in one shot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BB

Which firmware is shown? It’s probably a version indicating the drives are in recovery mode, allowing you to attempt to re-flash the correct firmware (maybe in a different computer, depending on how this goes).

And, uh…

What firmware did you download? Can you provide links? 'Cause I don’t think a firmware update enabled CD+G support.

Actually, where did you find that information?

[QUOTE=Albert;2786107]Which firmware is shown? It’s probably a version indicating the drives are in recovery mode, allowing you to attempt to re-flash the correct firmware (maybe in a different computer, depending on how this goes).

And, uh…

What firmware did you download? Can you provide links? 'Cause I don’t think a firmware update enabled CD+G support.

Actually, where did you find that information?[/QUOTE]

Got all firmware from here:
http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/drives.html

iHAS124 Y: http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHAS124%2BY/files.html

iHAS424 Y: http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHAS424%2BY/files.html

Both drives are blinking green led.
The iHAS124 Y is now showing firmware: OLOZ
The iHAS424 Y is now showing firmware: OL1Z

I am lost and don’t know what to do

Thanks

BB

Yeah, they’re both in recovery mode. If you can find a different computer to try to flash them, it might be more successful.

Or you can check to see if you can change the SATA settings on your computer, in case there’s an incompatibility. Is it a computer you built yourself, or a pre-made computer into which you added the drives anew?

If the former: what motherboard are you using (assuming you’re using the built-in SATA controller)?

If the latter: what make & model is it?

[QUOTE=Albert;2786120]Yeah, they’re both in recovery mode. If you can find a different computer to try to flash them, it might be more successful.

Or you can check to see if you can change the SATA settings on your computer, in case there’s an incompatibility. Is it a computer you built yourself, or a pre-made computer into which you added the drives anew?

If the former: what motherboard are you using (assuming you’re using the built-in SATA controller)?

If the latter: what make & model is it?[/QUOTE]

I built the system myself. It is running Windows 7 Ultimate

Processor: Intel Xeon X5675
Motherboard is a Asus P6X58D Premium:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58D_Premium/

it has these SATA controllers
[B]Intel ICH10R controller[/B]
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
[B]Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller*[/B]

• 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
  • These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

Both drives in question are connected to the Intel ICH10R Controller
2 of the other ports have SSD’s connected to them in RAID

The marvell controller has HDD’s connected to them.

Why did the go into recovery mode?
If I connect them to other ports or another computer do I flash the same way?
Is there a better way to flash?
Where can I find BIN file vs EXE files?

They go into recovery mode when the firmware doesn’t quite make it onto the drive correctly, which can sometimes be caused by…well, many things, including the controller being set up for RAID as opposed to a classic IDE compatibility mode.

You aren’t going to want to use any .bin files until you can use the official flashers. The flashers use the same commands, and the official flasher is still flashing a .bin file stored inside of it, anyway.

You flash the drives the same way if you connect them to different SATA ports. It would be hard to kill them as long as you’re using official flashers.

So, since you’re running a RAID setup with your storage drives off the Intel controller, you can still try to connect one of the drives to a Marvell port & see if things go better. I don’t have hope, since Asus has already told us that they aren’t meant for optical drives & we know that Marvell controllers can be finicky.

Other than that, finding another system where the SATA controller is set up for Legacy/IDE/JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) - or even AHCI is fine on some systems - rather than RAID may prove more fortuitous.

[QUOTE=Albert;2786129]They go into recovery mode when the firmware doesn’t quite make it onto the drive correctly, which can sometimes be caused by…well, many things, including the controller being set up for RAID as opposed to a classic IDE compatibility mode.

You aren’t going to want to use any .bin files until you can use the official flashers. The flashers use the same commands, and the official flasher is still flashing a .bin file stored inside of it, anyway.

You flash the drives the same way if you connect them to different SATA ports. It would be hard to kill them as long as you’re using official flashers.

So, since you’re running a RAID setup with your storage drives off the Intel controller, you can still try to connect one of the drives to a Marvell port & see if things go better. I don’t have hope, since Asus has already told us that they aren’t meant for optical drives & we know that Marvell controllers can be finicky.

Other than that, finding another system where the SATA controller is set up for Legacy/IDE/JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) - or even AHCI is fine on some systems - rather than RAID may prove more fortuitous.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I cannot change the controller as it controls the boot drives.

Is there a way to flash in DOS or linux with a USB Boot?
That way I could change the controller and boot off the USB.
Could I try and make them external drives using an HDD internal to external adapter or wired into an external HDD case?

Thanks for your help

Just upload the firmware bin. program of @Liggy binflash.

http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/

firmware bin
Liteon iHAS 124 Y
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/download/en/7240s/ihas124y_bl0x.7z

Liteon iHAS 424Y
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/download/en/7241s/ihas424y_zl1w.7z

^ czary2mary1 has spoken. That’s worth a try. Hopefully you won’t have to do anything else & you’ll be able to continue on your way. :slight_smile:

By the way, I’m still curious: where did you hear that CD+G functionality was added in a different firmware?

With me on one computer is the same for all models LiteOn iHAS Y.
Factory installer hangs and does not stop the installation.
Just install the firmware BinFlash …