Ihas424-98

vbimport

My Liteon IHAS424-98 come with firmware ZL1W. Is there a better firmware version than this out official or unofficial to use with this drive? Does Lite-on make this drive actually? What other drives is this relabled as currently?

Also why isnt liteon shipping nero9 with it. Is there a way to get a free upgrade since the drive is brand new and the sofware is out of date from liteon?

The drive is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7240S ("-08" and “-09” drives are Lite-On, while “-98” is Optiarc).

There is no other firmware for the drive right now. It’s new to the market and can’t be hacked or cross-flashed yet.

Drives come bundled with whatever software the drive maker negotiated with Nero to provide. Usually this is NOT the latest version, because Nero wants you to PAY to get the very latest. There is not now and there has never been any guarantee that you will get the latest software bundled with a drive. If you want the latest, you have to buy it separately yourself.

[QUOTE=negritude;2462573]The drive is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7240S ("-08" and “-09” drives are Lite-On, while “-98” is Optiarc).
[/QUOTE]
This is intereting to me - luckily I have a Lite On iHAS424 08 - and I have a Optiarc AD-7240S - I got the Lite On as a scanning drive - how is someone to know that a ‘Lite On’ is actually rebaged - I think both drives are good ones - just Lite On is known for their scanning ability - and will do jitter readings - whereas I don’t know - but I don’t believe the Optiarc reports Jitter (at least in Opti Drive Control).

How did you find out this information - may I ask…?:flower:

Hey guys, I was interested in purchasing a new dvd burner and the one available at my local store is the iHAS424. Before making the purchase I was looking to see the possibility of modified firmware and I found this topic and saw that it is actually a rebadged Optiarc AD-7240S. My question is if I want to buy this drive, is there any way to recognise which one is made by Lite-On from outside the box? Does it show on the serial number on the box maybe?

Would I be better off buying another drive? My local stores also have a pioneer 22x and samsung 22x but I never checked the actual model numbers on them. What should I do?

The iHAS424 “Y” variant is the Optiarc 7241S (w/LightScribe). If you are getting the retail boxed version, you can identify which variant is in there and if it has “SmartErase” printed on the box, then it’s the real LiteOn, otherwise, it would be the Optiarc.

[QUOTE=negritude;2462573]The drive is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7240S…[/QUOTE]

Yes, what he said above me, and correcting my own previous post, the 424-98 is the same as the 7241, which has Lightscribe. The 324-98 would be the same as the 7240.

Ok I think I understand what you guys mean but just to be 100% certain I will ask. I got the burner in the box today and the sticker on the box says “Model: iHAS424-08 A”.

Based on what was said in post #2 above, I can deduce that this is a true Lite-On product, however what is the difference between the 08 and 09 model number suffixes?
In your opinions is this drive worthy of replacing my LH-20A1S loaded with FB EOHT mod firmware?
Are there any mod firmwares for this burner (iHAS424-08 A) or is the stock firmware good enough that no modding is required?

[QUOTE=Darkseid001;2470970]I got the burner in the box today and the sticker on the box says “Model: iHAS424-08 A”.

Based on what was said in post #2 above, I can deduce that this is a true Lite-On product…[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is an actual Lite-On drive with a MediaTek chipset, not a rebadge.

The exact difference between -08 and -09 drives is unclear at this point, but both should be real Lite-Ons.

The Lite-On 20Ax/20A4x series of drives were great burners which can not be replaced by any current drives. I would keep them for burning only, but use the newer drive for reading, ripping, and scanning (and burning too).

Patched firmware for the 24x drives isn’t available yet, but when it is, you’ll be able to find it here: