iHAS424-08 vs. iHAS424-98

I notice that I was going to buy a lite on burner but found two with the same model with a slight number difference.

iHAS424-08 vs. iHAS424-98

What is the difference in these two model?

I read someone on newegg saying the model iHAS424-98 says
“Cons: Its NOT a lite-on. It is in fact an Optiarc.” is this true?

If so I will buy the iHAS424-08 if it is a true lite on not rebadged.

The iHASx24-98 drives are rebadges of the Sony Optiarc AD-724xS drives. The iHASx24-08/09’s are MediaTek/LITE-ON drives.

Received my 424-98 a few days ago and it is indeed the Optiarc 7241S equivalent. Figured I have the 324 w/MTK and 7240S already, might as well get something different. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=SithTracy;2464898]The iHASx24-98 drives are rebadges of the Sony Optiarc AD-724xS drives. The iHASx24-08/09’s are MediaTek/LITE-ON drives.[/QUOTE]

Figures. It would be nice if they informed online buyers of such switches so we can buy the product we want not some faked named knock offs that isn’t a true liteon chipset. Well now I know which drive to purchase here. Lite on should be ashamed they should at least be responsible enough to inform customers of the bait and switch.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2464944]Figures. It would be nice if they informed online buyers of such switches so we can buy the product we want not some faked named knock offs that isn’t a true liteon chipset. Well now I know which drive to purchase here. Lite on should be ashamed they should at least be responsible enough to inform customers of the bait and switch.[/QUOTE]

The Optiarc AD-7240S is a good drive (well, I don’t like it for burning CD-R’s, but I am a dinosaur). I imagine Sony has a bulk of them and influenced LITE-ON to re-badge them to move them. Still, the models are confusing, but that was probably by design to get them out the door. Most will be happy with the Optiarc drive.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2464944]Figures. It would be nice if they informed online buyers of such switches so we can buy the product we want not some faked named knock offs that isn’t a true liteon chipset. Well now I know which drive to purchase here. Lite on should be ashamed they should at least be responsible enough to inform customers of the bait and switch.[/QUOTE]

If you order from NewEgg, check the picture of the drive you are going to order. A true Liteon will have the SmartErase logo on the tray door, the rebadged wont.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2464833]iHAS424-08 vs. iHAS424-98
[/QUOTE]

Just a quick note to add that there is also an iHAS424-32 model in the wild and this iHAS424-32 is an Optiarc rebadge …