Ihas324 quit reading after windows updates

vbimport

Today i decided to actually shut my computer down and install all of 50 updates I had neglected to install, and now my DVD drive will not read anything or burn anything?

Its an ihas324 y with BL1Y firmware. it was working great before the updates and now it spins the disks and just does not seem to recognize anything i throw at it.

Hi and Welcome!

Are there any problem indicators in Device Manager? Please check and report back.

Also, see if you can boot your computer from a bootable DVD (or CD). By coincidence, your drive might just have failed at the time you installed your OS updates.

Michael

device manager says its working fine, ill try to boot to my windows disk and get back to you.

okay if i put any disk in it acts like its going to boot it and hangs their for a min. then it just boots regularly instead. like it knows there is a disk but just wont boot it,

imgburn says that it incompatible media no matter what i put in it.

i did take the drive apart today to fix the tray because it would not open, and i got it to open while installing my updates and now it opens fine but reads nothing. I will have to take the drive apart and make sure all the ribbons are still connected.

okay the laser motor ribbon came loose. thanks for your help, sometimes all you have to do is talk yourself through it. lol

[QUOTE=normohl;2565910]okay the laser motor ribbon came loose. thanks for your help, sometimes all you have to do is talk yourself through it. lol[/QUOTE]

laser motor ribbon coming loose that doesn’t sounds good to me for the drive lifespan…now the power and data connector coming loose but a internal connector coming loose usually to me means bad connection with problems down the line…

its a 20 dollar drive i dont think that having the laser screw motor unplugged is going to hurt the drive. hell i spilled mountain dew in it and it quit opening, so I took the electronics out of it gave it a bath re-greased it, I don’t think ill worry about it.

internal connector coming loose usually to me means bad connection with problems down the line…

have you taken apart dvd drives they are real simple, its a effin ribbon cable its made to disconnect and reconnect if it wasn’t then it would be soldered.