iHAS324-17 FU dvdram/crossflash?

vbimport

I just bought an iHAS324-17 FU (CL88) device. The main reason was to archive data at the speed of 12x to DVD-RAM, and also check dvd burning quality.

I found out that this device doesn’t support DVD-RAM with this firmware at all.

I’ve searched many forums… without success.

Is it possible to crossflash this device with another firmware with DVD-RAM support ? If yes, can somebody provide me a firmware dump, and guidance ?

Thank you in advance.

I would check first with SmartPack if there is a Firmware update available.
Please could you dump the Firmware for us?

SmartPack says no update.

I’ll dump it today evening…

You can get CL19 here and see if it supports DVD-RAM.

[QUOTE=KTL;2779900]You can get CL19 here and see if it supports DVD-RAM.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but doesn’t update :frowning:

(my system is Windows 10 64bit)

Have you tried the Flash Utility?

BTW, make sure you backup the existing EEPROM and current firmware first.

I don’t think Flash Utility will work with a locked flasher.

And because the CL1x line is different from the CL8x line (just like the CL0x line for the iHAS124 F is different from CL9x line), the stock LiteOn flasher won’t allow it. :frowning:

Maybe someone will be willing to dump a CL1x series firmware from their 324 F.

But I don’t see “DVD-RAM” support listed for any of LiteOn’s latest drives, so I doubt you’ll be able to make it happen with a crossflash.

[B]Albert, KTL[/B]

For the Flash Utility I need a dump from somebody, yes. Now I have a problem with the utils.

I have the following utilities:

• Flash Utility 7.2.0
  • Flash Utility 6.0.1
  • LtnFlash 2.6.11
  • EEprom Utility 6.2.0

When I backup the firmware the LtnFlash and Flash Utility 6.0.1 produces the same .bin file. The result of the Flash Utility 7.2.0 is different in 99%.

Which one is correct ?

Also my version of FlashUtil 6.0.1 only does read, the write button is disabled.

The EEPROM backups are the same from both LtnFlash and EEpromUtil.

Now I’m a little bit confused about the utilities.
Anyway. I would try a crossflash to iHAS324 F, or maybe to an equivalent Plextor firmware. Maybe I’ll be lucky.

[B]HM01
[/B]As you can see, I have two different versions. Which one to share :confused:

Please share this one…[QUOTE=AbuAbacus;2779912]
When I backup the firmware the LtnFlash and Flash Utility 6.0.1 produces the same .bin file.[/QUOTE]

…and this one…

The result of the Flash Utility 7.2.0 is different in 99%.

And we will say which one is correct.

Here they are:

CL88 (FlashUtil 6.0.1)
CL88 (FlashUtil 7.2.0)

I’m not sure either is correct, which is…weird.

With a correct firmware dump, you should be able to use a hex editor to find [S]“PLDS” and[/S] “ATAPI” mentioned in the firmware. You should also be able to see the full drive ID, and a few other things, like bits of the EEPROM data (in some cases) and an indicator of where the bootcode is at the beginning of the file.

BOTH files you’ve provided lack that information. A “proper” CL88 dump to compare to is here: http://club.myce.com/f44/stock-firmware-liteon-ihas-124-rev-f-340775/index2.html#post2777900

I’ve done something I usually don’t do (something we shouldn’t do :p) &crosspostedto see if someone will come through & provide a firmware dump, just in case it does help.

Neither Flashutil version (nor Ltnflash) works with newer drives to dump firmware. I wrote about that in the thread Albert linked. The only way is Dosflash.
I also had to start the unlocked lite on flasher (which is included in Flashutil 7.2.0 IIRC) to somehow unlock the drives ability to e.g. read eeprom (and write it). So if flashing is greyed out, just start the unlocked lite on flasher and close it again (don’t flash anything).

FU 7.2.0 is the latest/last version and it was created to support post-B drives. So I’d use that version.

I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m able to dump both EEPROM with EU 6.2.0 and FW with FU 7.2.0 from my iHAS324 F drive.

Here’s a link to the CL19 dump.

[QUOTE=KTL;2779934]
I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m able to dump both EEPROM with EU 6.2.0 and FW with FU 7.2.0 from my iHAS324 F drive.

Here’s a link to the CL19 dump.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for proving my point. :slight_smile:
That dump is garbage. It is either random data or scrambled / encrypted. In any case you should not flash it to any drive. Dosflash uses mediatek’s low-level access to the flash and is able to dump it correctly. AFAIK for newer drives (such as the F series) this is the only way to get a working dump.
EEPROM dumping does work with EU, but I had to run the unlocked flasher once to make it work. However, this may be my setup.

Well then, I better remove it. :eek:

Thanks for pointing it out.:clap:

Thank you all,

It seems my machine with W10 64bit doesn’t allow DosFlash to work (even with disabled signature check). Now I start to prepare another PC with W7 32bit on it. It will take some time. I’ll report back as soon as possible.

I have the tools, and a reference CL88 dump.

See you soon

[QUOTE=drezon;2779943]Thanks for proving my point. :slight_smile:
That dump is garbage. It is either random data or scrambled / encrypted. In any case you should not flash it to any drive. Dosflash uses mediatek’s low-level access to the flash and is able to dump it correctly. AFAIK for newer drives (such as the F series) this is the only way to get a working dump.
EEPROM dumping does work with EU, but I had to run the unlocked flasher once to make it work. However, this may be my setup.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind checking this CL19 dump? [QUOTE=jadburner;2779931]Ok. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve uploaded the CL19 bin here. Hopefully it’s a valid dump.[/QUOTE]

Yes I’ll check it

Hi

On Windows 7 32bit with SATA mode is IDE in BIOS, the DosFlash utility works fine.

[B]jadburner[/B]: your CL19 dump is a valid one

First I made a backup of my device’s firmware, which looked well. Then I’ve burned the CL19 dump into the device. OptiDriveControl recognized it, but the device didn’t read DVD-RAM. It didn’t recognize anything. Not even a normal DVD-R disc.

So I wrote back the CL88 firmware. I’ve made a test with OptiDriveControl on the W7 install DVD-R just in case. It worked fine.

It seems that this new drive has no DVD-RAM support at all (jan.2016). :frowning:
Opinions ?

I’ve seen Sony Optiarc AD-7260S on ebay, I’ll order one or two. For testing purposes now I have a good one :). But DVD-RAM for me is important.

Btw it is M-Disc compatible…

So thank you all for your help.
It was nice to meet you.

:bow:

I just reported in the FU thread that crossflashed to a PX-891SAF the drive does report to support DVD-RAM (reading and writing). I didn’t test it though, as I don’t have any DVD-RAM.
I tested with a 124F CL99, but I think the 324F CL88 should also work.