iHAS124-14 E 4L0A shows blank disc after burn?!

vbimport

Hello

I have brand new iHAS124 E, arrived with 4L08 firmware, now updated to 4L0A. Problem persists where by after a ‘successfully’ burn, the disc appears still to be blank.

I can rule out bad disc batch as same batch working perfectly well with various other drives, so stumped as to what the issue is could be. Google to dead and while I found another post reporting the same issue with D model due to bad FW, not found anyone else yet with same problem with E model. Any one else experienced this please, if so is there old FW I should revert to, and what’s the correct procedure please?

I had an aging iHAS124-19 B, which as been fantastic over the years, so didn’t hesitate to get another 124, however this latest model is pants so far and will need to return if can’t resolve this. What other drives would you recommend please? Doesn’t appear to be much choice now days, so looking at either Asus DRW-24F1ST, which i think is just a re-badged Liteon is it or? Or the Samsung SH-224DB.

Thank you

Dean

I would honestly try another drive.

The DRW-24F1ST is a Samsung SH-224xB derivative. Some were DB, and apparently some are FB; depends on whatever latest drive Samsung is on at the moment.

Thanks Albert. I’ve actually already ordered another drive (SH-224DB/BEBE), so hopefully have better luck with that.

Do you know the difference between DB and FB please? This question actually applies to all drives as there appears to be so many different versions of the same models, but almost impossible to find out exactly what the differences are, and therefore which is the best to go for. Do you know of a thread or site that lists models and their differences between versions please?

It’s merely updates/cost reductions (typically slight reductions in end-user buffer size, which is somewhat irrelevant these days).

F is newest and has the smallest buffer. Performance should be the same across all of them, if Samsung’s done its job.

Thought as much, same old same old, cutting cost, cutting quality :frowning:
With regards to the buffering, if it was to become an issue, would enlarging the buffer size within burn software not compensate for this? For example I used Roxio Crator Classics which has option to set size for ‘[I]Maximum write buffer allocation[/I]’?

It would compensate, yes. Honestly, the software buffer of many apps is probably the reason smaller hardware buffers don’t matter as much, and if the software buffer empties, there’s probably something going on in the background that you can’t overcome with the 2 MB buffer that used to be standard. Or there’s a throughput issue, which no buffering would overcome permanently.