IHAS120 dead

I recently bought a Moser Baer DH-20A6S DVD writer which is a rebadged LiteOn iHAS120 6 drive (I am from India and LiteOn drives come here under Moser Baer brand/marketing, direct LiteOn drives are not available in India).

I flashed this drive with CK’s stock firmware iHAS120.7L0E.stock.exe and the drive was working perfectly for about 2 weeks. Then i found that 7L0F-EOHT was available and downloaded it from one of these forum thread links and flashed it, everything went well and i rebooted the machine and the drive was seen as CD Drive in Explorer and as Moser Baer DH-20A6S in Device Manager. The drive tray doesn’t open, no lights flashing, nothing.

So in an effort to flash it back to 7L0E, i tried the original stock (which is an .exe) and then the flash utility ( i had made a backup of the original), but in flash utility both the “Read Flash” and “Write Flash” buttons are greyed out. This utility is showing the status as 8001. There is “Unknown” against Flash ID, Flash Type, and Flash size.

None of the flashers are letting me flash the drive.

The drive is detected in BIOS settings as Moser Baer DH-20A6S and after booting in device manager it is being recognized, so it seems like it is not completely dead. (I have checked all the cabling, everything is okay).

Someone please HELP ME.

No one has a clue what to do? :frowning:

CodeKing where are you??? Please help.

Hi anonanon. Please show a screen capture of the flash utility with the drive selected.

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2203517]Hi anonanon. Please show a screen capture of the flash utility with the drive selected.[/QUOTE]

I have screen captured and made a jpg image, but don’t know how to attach it here :o sorry, pls advise

I also have backup of the original Moser Baer firmware and EEPROM, in case you can find a way to reinject it back into the drive. I backed up the firmware using this same Flash Utility (before flashing to LiteOn 7L0E) and backed up the EEPROM using the EEPROM_Utility. Both are in .bin format.

C0deking, thank you for your time, but I have managed to bring the drive back to life again. Used LtnFlash (with Update boot code option TICKED) and now everything is fine. I even flashed it again with LiteOn 7L0E version and burned 1 DVD so far and everything looks normal. :clap::iagree:;):smiley:

Thanks again and sorry for wasting ur time.:bow:

anonanon now the matter is in the capable hands of CK
he will see if he can help u

wait a little for him

websh,
Thanks a bunch for pointing me towards LtnFlash, this nifty little tool managed to revive my drive ( I kept the Update boot code option ticked). I even managed to flash it again with LiteOn 7L0E (yes, i like to mess around - failures teach you a lot). :iagree: :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot :bow:

[QUOTE=anonanon;2203586]C0deking, thank you for your time, but I have managed to bring the drive back to life again. Used LtnFlash (with Update boot code option TICKED) and now everything is fine. I even flashed it again with LiteOn 7L0E version and burned 1 DVD so far and everything looks normal. :clap::iagree:;):smiley:

Thanks again and sorry for wasting ur time.:bow:[/QUOTE]
I’m glad your drive is going again. It’s never a waste of my time. In fact I can now see that when the drive is in boot mode, my flash utility is using some commands that are not supported, so I will now check this and update the utility. :iagree:

I would suggest that you download the 7L0F EOHT firmware again, as there is a good chance that your download is corrupted. :wink:

Here’s the Flash Utility now working with a drive in boot mode.

It will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2204167]I’m glad your drive is going again. It’s never a waste of my time. In fact I can now see that when the drive is in boot mode, my flash utility is using some commands that are not supported, so I will now check this and update the utility. :iagree:

I would suggest that you download the 7L0F EOHT firmware again, as there is a good chance that your download is corrupted. ;)[/QUOTE]

I’m glad that you think so, i am of the opinion that failures always teach you something.

I downloaded the 7L0F EOHT again and flashed it, but alas, same thing again, my drive again went to sleep. I again had to flash it with LtnFLash using the original Moser Baer firmware that i had and then flash it with Liteon 7L0E. One more thing, when the drive goes to sleep and if i flash it directly with the LiteOn 7L0E, the flash fails and the drive is still in a coma. I need to flash it first with the original Moser Baer and then with Liteon7L0E.

Maybe this might tell u something further about these crc checks.

Thanks once again, and i think i will stay with 7L0E for now.:wink:

anonanon, that’s very interesting. Can you please provide the link to the 7L0F EOHT firmware you used, so I can check it myself. Thanks.

BTW, the new Flash Utility that supports boot mode is now released.

anonanon, that’s very interesting. Can you please provide the link to the 7L0F EOHT firmware you used, so I can check it myself. Thanks.

i downloaded the 7L0F EOHT it from here
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/iHAS120.7L0F-8L06.patched-eoht8G.rar

BTW, the new Flash Utility that supports boot mode is now released.

Thnks, might need it in the future :smiley:

[QUOTE=anonanon;2204285]i downloaded the 7L0F EOHT it from here
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/iHAS120.7L0F-8L06.patched-eoht8G.rar[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link. There is no problem with the 7L0F EOHT 8G firmware downloaded from that link and the CRC is valid. Both your MB firmware and the LiteOn firmware use the same method to detect a bad flash. I have to say I’m lost for a reason, at the moment, as to why you can’t use the 7L0F EOHT firmware but you can use 7L0E. :confused:

Please help :frowning: