iHAS x24 B, iHAS x24 A or Different iHAS x24

vbimport

The drive at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL041213&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL041213--EMC-041213-Index--CDDVDBurners-_-27106289-L0B shows it is iHAS x24-04. Does anybody know if that is iHAS x24 B, iHAS x24 A or a different iHAS x24 version or know how to tell the version? Also which is the better version, or are there little differences between the iHAS x24 versions?

If you read the user feedback, you’ll know what the latest shipping version is.

I had to read over half way down feedback page 2 to find that it’s revision W. Some reviews mention it’s not BurnerMax Payload Tool compatible. What is BurnerMax Payload Tool, and do you think the W revision is a good drive? Also are the A and B revisions still available anywhere?

You won’t find anymore A or B in the market anymore, e b a y has them, but be prepared to pay much for the B series. If you want to overburn verbatim +R9 discs to 8.7-GB, then you’ll need the payload tool for non-A drives.

W drive is likely the last NEC/Renesas-based chipset for DVD burning. 2601 has some results in the NEC forum.

I don’t really need over burning and assume the W drive should be a good drive otherwise. I searched the NEC forum for “NEC/Renesas-based chipset” and find no results. Do you have a link to those 2601 posts or know thread title?

My mistake it’s actually in this forum, can be found here.

Excuse my ignorance, but I know absolutely nothing about scanning. Can you tell me whether those scans indicate how good the drive is? I’m looking to get my first SATA burner and would like to know if this drive is a good choice for CD burning and burning DVD video backups of DVDs, or are there better choices? I’ve been pleased with IDE NEC burners I’ve owned and am interested in this drive since it has a NEC chipset.

One more question just occurred to me. Can this drive or any other iHAS x24 drive be flashed to the B version?

You can read about the scanning results here. If it’s too detailed, the simple rule-of-thumb is: the lower the better. But don’t let the scans make your decision, as long as the discs can be played back, then the burn results are fine.

You cannot crossflash between different chipsets unless you really want to kill the drive. You can crossflash between clones, but not chipsets. The FU is made for A- and B-series drives. But since C0deKing has retired, no more development is done to “easily” use on C- and D-series.

You may want to look into an Optiarc AD-7280S drive if/while they’re still available.

I found a post by Liggy at http://club.myce.com/f86/doubt-choosing-optiarc-writer-330307/ that indicates the Optiarc AD-7200S is better than the newer Optiarc models. I found 1 new on eBay for $26.90 and decided to go that way. That’s about $10 more than newer drives can be found at Newegg, but I think it’s worth the difference.

Good choice. I got several of the 7200S, 7201S, and 7203S. :slight_smile:

I saw a good price from Newegg on a new LG burner before settling on the 7200S and searched the LG Forum to find it too is not as good as older LG burners. Looks like this may be the case for all manufacturers’ new drives. I thought about ordering 2 or 3 of the 7200S as the seller showed 10 available. Many thanks to KTL since without his useful replies I would not have known which direction to go in search of a good burner.

No problem. :slight_smile: It never hurts to pick up a few of the 720xS series. :wink:

I’ve stopped buying LG and Samsung drives because they seem to spit out more drives than firmwares.