iHAS into a laptop

vbimport

Hey all. Can you tell me how can I plug iHAS124-04 D into a Toshiba laptop? Do I need something like a SATA - USB 3.0 adapter? I don’t have the laptop here yet so I don’t know the exact model but I think it haves USB 2.0 only but I know it has Matshita (UJ-850S?) drive in it right now. Also I want to be able to keep the PIE/PIF scanning ability available too. Thanks.

You mean, the LiteOn DVD burner like this, and maybe aUSB2 to SATA kitlike this?

(This little USB-to-SATA kits can be flakey. I’d buy two and, if both work, then give one away to a chum.)

I’m not certain this will work, by the way. There are discussions in MyCE about putting Internal DVD burners into External Cases with varying degrees of success - and non-success. USB-3 might give a better thru-put speed but we seen TONS of USB-2 external DVD burners being sold so I doubt “USB 2 limits” are a reason for fault. The USB 3 versions of these ‘kits’ are $30-ish, but still have the same flakey possibilities and when I buy these, I indeed get an extra one. (I’ve had 100% success with the 8 of these units we’ve bought - alas, since none were purchased from NewEgg, I never left a response. But “DOA” is a common CON complaint on every type of these units.)

I currently only buy USB-3 versions because those are much quicker for HDD-file exchanges, not for DVD thru-put, however.

This thread’s “INTO” title made me think of some of my original parts assembly techniques, by the way.

Thanks for the answer. So what do you think about this: http://www.pcgarage.ro/adaptoare/gembird/adaptor-usb-sata/
It’s USB 2.0 to SATA Cable. It says ‘‘for data transfer’’. Both connectors are ‘‘male’’ (idk what that means). In a comment someone said it worked for his SATA drive. Is it good?

The difference in the one Christine posted & the one you posted other than USB3 & 2 is : The USB3 one has a power supply . That makes even more difference with a laptop as it would be using the laptop battery with an adapter without a seperate power supply.
As Christine also posted external cases are hit & miss . It depends on how the chip in the case works with the model drive in it & also how well it works with the computer & OS it is used with. The one I have (with a different drive). Works fine for most DVDs but doesn’t write to a CD -R or CD -RW . That is only from the external case . I previously had the drive as an internal & it could write to CDs. So the problem is somewhere in the external case chip.

BIG EDIT ON THIS…

(Continuing to scroll thru PCGarage.RO…(could my Italian really get me around in Romania?!! Cred că da! Si!)

To your original product, yes, I see it’s Spec Page(again, only in ENGLISH?!! WHY?!!) displays a Power-Adapter.

This product is equivalent to the ones I cited from the American NewEgg product page.

(Do all the tech gurus in Romania need to learn English to read specification pages and user manuals?!!)

[QUOTE=cristyro;2686723]Thanks for the answer. So what do you think about this: http://www.pcgarage.ro/adaptoare/gembird/adaptor-usb-sata/
It’s USB 2.0 to SATA Cable. It says ‘‘for data transfer’’. Both connectors are ‘‘male’’ (idk what that means). In a comment someone said it worked for his SATA drive. Is it good?[/QUOTE]

That one does look like worth a try. As it includes a power adapter/cord to power the drive, the only question is will it be readily recognized by CDSpeed or ODC for quality testing. Only way to find out is to give it a try.

(I just hope CristyRO doesn’t take my first photo-suggestion to give us avideo like THIS!)

Lol haha. Don’t worry, I won’t. (unless my H42N keeps making me angry coz it doesn’t work, then maybe I would do that) (hehe)

[QUOTE=cristyro;2686712]Hey all. Can you tell me how can I plug iHAS124-04 D into a Toshiba laptop? Do I need something like a SATA - USB 3.0 adapter? I don’t have the laptop here yet so I don’t know the exact model but I think it haves USB 2.0 only but I know it has Matshita (UJ-850S?) drive in it right now. Also I want to be able to keep the PIE/PIF scanning ability available too. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I think you be better served by buying a external USB drive that is ready to go and not having to try to do MODs to get a internal drive to work like a external drive. They do have external drive that comes with USB powered or external power that will do the job for you if you plan to use it external. Otherwise you will have to look online to something like eBay for a IDE drive that you can swap out with the laptop cd/dvd drive.

I hope CristyRO can find a cable-solution locally so, if it doesn’t work, he can easily return it for a quick 2nd-try replacement.

Click here
Anyway wanna play some football with me, we use my H42N as ‘‘ball’’. The flying H42N.
I wanna do this to my H42N (skip to 6:36): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saz0djMeD5g