iHAP422 firmware question

I installed the iHAP422 in my computer last night and wanted to verify a couple things.

First, I noticed that Nero Infotool indicates the firmware is version UL14, but, when I go to “my computer” and right click the drive then properties, the driver is listed as provided by Microsoft. Is that normal?

Second, is there a newer firmware version? I noticed some on this forum with the iHAP322 have UL15.

Third, should I just go to Lite-On and download whatever version firmware they have to see it that makes the drives’ properties info through “my computer” and Nero Infotool match?

Thanks for the help!

I just noticed I listed the firmware as UL14 and it’s actually VL14.

[quote=Hercules1;2208919]First, I noticed that Nero Infotool indicates the firmware is version UL14, but, when I go to “my computer” and right click the drive then properties, the driver is listed as provided by Microsoft. Is that normal?[/quote] The firmware sits inside your device (optical drive) and is the software that makes the drive itself operate the hardware.

The driver is (one or more files) on your harddrive and loaded in the memory of the computer, and makes it possible for the operating system to use the device.

So these are completely different things with different versions and provided by different companies.

Thank you for the clearification! That explains a lot now. I just checked the Lite-On site and found the firmware download for the drive…it’s the latest version VL14. I had click download to see which version it was. Thanks for the help!