IFPI study finds P2P music piracy does indeed hit CD sales

I just posted the article IFPI study finds P2P music piracy does indeed hit CD sales.

While we 

have seen plenty of studies that show file sharing has either a negligible or positive
effect on Album CDs, another recent study actually shows downloading…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9411-IFPI-study-finds-P2P-music-piracy-does-indeed-hit-CD-sales.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9411-IFPI-study-finds-P2P-music-piracy-does-indeed-hit-CD-sales.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What reduce album CD sales is the lack of good music release. They release cds with one good song and the rest is just crap…

Just add high price to you crap classification and you get even a better reason. They like to say DVD is the faster growing entretainement market ever…would be interesting to know the percentage of Cd sales deviated to DVDs. And the percentage of present releases that will be around within 2 to 5 years times…nobody will remember them for sure…not even the ones that pay for it now will ever listen to them. …

This is the way I always assumed it worked. It would be silly to say download music has no effect on sales. I just didn’t think it was a 1:1 relationship like the RIAA would want us to think. That everyone downloaded album is a lost sale. But downloading mp3’s has made me buy less albums. I hears a cool song on the radio but then I found out the rest of the album isn’t so good. 10 years ago I probably would of bought it, now I don’t, neither do I listen to it anymore. now I don’t have to buy as much crap :slight_smile:

I would have to agree. If more of the music was actually good, and not just overmarketed CRAP, then I am sure that we would be buying more. If an artist is good, you would not have to spend 20x the amount of money you pay the artist on marketing.

Downloading has just given the customer a better mechanism for choice. At the end of the day record companies are getting pissed because ppl wont just buy any old crap they dish out anymore!!!

I personally have bought more than a few titles that I’ve downloaded (when I could find the damned things - some of the stuff I wanted isn’t readily available). There are a few things that would help from personal experiences, some of which have already been iterated here: 1) No more “one hit wonder” albums with one or two good tracks and the rest filler. That’s just a gouge. A pox on thee for releasing it. 2) You retailers need to get your st together. Just because you want to batch your orders doesn’t mean that I’m prepared to wait six weeks while you sit there with your thumb up your a and your mind in neutral. I’m the customer which makes me god - you don’t exist without me. Deal with it. 3) Drop your damned prices. It’s getting better but when a new album costs $15 CDN across the board (I don’t care who is releasing it and in what category), it’ll make it much less a case of theft from the customer’s wallet and much more a case of buying enoyable music for a reasonable price. 4) I want custom CDs. A track from here, a track from there and all for 0.75C a song. Make it happen. I won’t even discuss the buck a song lossy downloads - I spit on that crap. That should be 0.50C a song and lossless - period. Finally, there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Both sides will indulge in that scenario to try and prove their “points”. YMMV.

Perhaps most importantly of all, since when have students got money to spend money on inflated prices CDs?

I second that. Students may say they would have been likly to have bought it when surveyed but the fact is many are too poor to buy a lot of cd’s or anything eles. College is very expensive and the time it takes limits how many hours you can work. There were plenty of things (and I do mean plenty) that I wanted or needed that I could not afford to buy when in college. How many cd’s could you have bought for the cost of a single 100$ text book?:S

Let’s look at one other thing. I forget what IFPI stands for, but I seem to recall them being a tool of the RIAA, or closely akin to them. Could it be that someone is looking for certain results, and then finding a way to get them, rather than going about this objectively? If I were the recording industry, this would then give me the chance to say “See, things are as bad as we said” since the US government has been largely sympathetic, especially the senators whose pockets they have lined, giving me a chance to “help” propose new laws making all file sharers criminals. Sounds about right.

duh…