If youre willing to Pay $$$ is there something better?

vbimport

I use and love shrink and decrypter, :bow: but out of curiousity, is there a better program that someone could buy?
Most of the time you can get more for $$$.

Not much more. You can get DVD Rebuilder for free, and then arguably the worlds best encoder to work in conjunction with it: Cinema Craft Encoder SP for $1950 USD. Personally I dont think its worth it.:slight_smile:

You can get Cinema Craft Encoder Basic for $50-60. Personally, I don’t think it was worth it for how little I use it.

Sounds like a complex program. Not something that is useful for burning a quick copy of “Ghostbusters II”.

Nah, it’s not difficult. And the freeware encoder options improve all the time, so you don’t absolutely have to pay for CCE. The only thing is time. If you’re willing to let it run overnight then I’d say you should seriously consider DVDRB.

Yeah DVD Rebuilder and CCE SP is probably the best method, but CCE SP and CCE is designed for a lot more than just backing up DVDs so really the tiny improvement you get from using CCE SP over CCE isn’t worth the extra $1900 in my opinion. QuEnc is free and produces results which are almost as good as CCE and continues to improve.

I disagree. Most of the time you don’t get much more for spending money, although I agree that if you are an absolute quality zealot that CCE is worth investing a bit of money in. :wink:

CloneDVD+AnyDVD works great for me.

I don’t really think it produces results any better than DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink though.

It’s been discussed on this forum before (by people much smarter than me) that “better” depends on a lot of things, one of which is the bit rate of the original DVD. A DVD with a bit rate of 8 Mbps transcoded with Clone will still probably look better than a 4 Mbps DVD re-encoded with the $2000 CCE SP.

Another important factor, for me at least, is the fact that I watch my movies on a 132" diagonal screen. During my testing phase when I was constantly looking for “better”, I usually saw more pleasing results when re-encoding vs transcoding. Therefore, I shelled out the $58 for CCE Basic to use with DVD Rebuilder as well as $36 for DVD ReMake Pro (cause I was just too damn scared of PgcEdit :bigsmile: ). No regrets for any of the dough I’ve parted with…and that includes the $60 for AnyDVD/CloneDVD.

I guess its no surprise that CloneDVD doesn’t get used very often by me, but I still use it for those backups that I know I’ll be watching on the 27" Sony instead of in the home theater.

Just my 2 cents :wink: .

132" TV? Thats pretty big.

Yes, especially considering that it’s a CRT! :wink:

[i](Just kidding)

[/i]

Yeah, and it was a bitch getting that sucker in the house :bigsmile: :bigsmile: !!

Seriously, I use the venerable Sanyo Z2 projector and a 52" X 122" blackout cloth screen with 4" Duve-Pro border. Looks pretty sweet for a $50 screen!

Sounds like a complex program. Not something that is useful for burning a quick copy of “Ghostbusters II”.

DVD-RB utilizing CCE is all I use. I run the ripped DVd through CloneDVD to remove stuff I don’t want, and then let DVD-RB do its thing.

Unfortunately, quick…it is not. :wink: Its one of those set it up and go to sleep things.