If You're Going To Steal Software, Steal From Us: Microsoft Exec

vbimport

If You’re Going To Steal Software, Steal From Us: Microsoft Exec

"If you’re going to be a software counterfeiter, then please copy and illegally use Microsoft products.

The above plea isn’t from a posting on a hacker forum. Rather, it’s how Microsoft business group president Jeff Raikes feels about software counterfeiters. “If they’re going to pirate somebody, we want it to be us rather than somebody else,” Raikes said.

The remarks might seem surprising, coming from a senior executive at a software company that spends millions each year fighting software piracy and developing copyright protection technologies.

But Raikes, speaking last week at the Morgan Stanley Technology conference in San Francisco, said a certain amount of software piracy actually helps Microsoft because it can lead to purchases by individuals who otherwise might never have been exposed to the company’s products

“You want to push towards getting legal licensing, but you don’t want to push so hard that you lose the asset that’s most fundamental in the business,” said Raikes, who estimated that between 20% and 25% of all software used in the United States is pirated"

Interesting words when you take into account it’s coming from a Microsoft Exec.

Well … see, not everyone has the money to pay for MS’s expensive software, but if they pirate it & use it at home, they become familiar with it. Then they go to work, and recommend the software be bought, and that’s the deal. And given that most people are computer illiterate, they hand the computer decisions to someone that knows … and that person is usually the most computer literate person, which knows how to pirate the software at home :stuck_out_tongue:

They might not have a personal customer, if the person is a pirate, but they have a business customer.

If on the other hand, the person uses an alternative or free software (like me), they won’t be familiar with M$ software, and therefore will be recommending free software for their business and therefore not M$ software & M$ loses out on business sales, aka $$$.

Makes perfect marketting sense. Microsoft should provide basic versions of their OS & software free for personal use … solely on the premise that people can upgrade to the better versions for a few $$, and those people will become business customers.

ROTFLMAO! All I can say to this article is this:

B L O O D Y H Y P O C R I T E S !

Maybe they should spend more R&D on fixing the bloody OS rather than spending millions on copy protection, shitty DRM that nobody likes, crippling of your sound and video hardware because of DRM, genuine advantage fiasco, etc… I think whoever uttered this rubbish about “we want you to screw us over” was drunk! :slight_smile:

This is exactly what I believe Autodesk’s strategy has been for years with Autocad. Get people using it at home for free and it translates into more use in the business world. It worked, as Autocad is far and away the most used software of its kind in the engineering communities. Plus, use of a pirated copy of someone’s software probably means they didn’t buy your competition’s less expensive version.

You want to know what else is funny. On Mircosoft’s TechNet site the Tech’s show you how to use the SkipRearm feature included in Vista, so that you can postpone Vista’s activation deadline indefinitely. In a nutshell all it really involves is changing one number in a line of code from a 0 to a 1 every 30 days. Now it wouldn’t be much for a Hacker to exploit this.

:cool: :cool: