If You Really Want a Benq 1620

vbimport

If you are still looking to purchase a Benq 1620 here is a link to a place that has them,
budzos
http://www.wegotdeals.com/productdetail.asp?SID=573540229&ProductID=14705&C=68&S=152

Link above is for a refurbished drive.

At that rate one is almost better off buying a rebadged 1625/1640 off ebay.

The most commmon rebadges on ebay are Sony DRU-810, HP 740i, Plextor 740A and Philips DVD8701.

Yo-

Problem with the BenQ 1620’s - they were either very, very good or very, very bad!

The 1640 was the most reliable in the 16xx line-IMO-eh

I didn’t even notice that it was a refurbished drive. I am glad that that wasn’t what I was looking for at the time.
budzos

Why on earth anyone wants 1620 the drive wich is the oldest drive generation of BenQ rather than the new ones like 1640, 1650, 1655, 1670 and so on…?.

Well I’d take a 1620 over a 1670 any day. And my 1620 burns basically identical to my 1640 and 1655 with most media, so it’s an excellent burner in its own right. I just bought mine from ZZF a couple months ago. It’s not the oldest generation BTW, I think the DW400 (4x) was their first drive, followed by the 800/822/830 series (8x). I have an 822, it is a very good +R burner, solid -R burner. And it also supports high speed ripping, quality scanning with jitter measuring, etc. I basically just need the 400 and then I’d have every generation of their drives. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree but the drive is alrady 3-4 years old.

I am surprised that people are still buying optical drives. I stop buying them. In the past year, I have upgraded the processors three times, from AMD 3500+ to AMD Opteron 170 now I am running core 2 duo E6400 @ 3.7ghz, and I recycled all of my optical drives. But I still have 7 drives total, a few being shelved since I dont have anymore slots left

According to http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3044&sid=ef61f564b21b76f6af3a709108176df0
the Benq 1620 is 1 of the few replacement drives for burners in LiteOn 50xx recorder models that restores full functionality to the recorder, and the LiteOn 1693 and earlier drives are all discontinued too and becoming difficult to find.

Obviously people buy optical drives to backup DVDs, transfer VHS to DVD and record captured video to DVD. Are there other methods for doing any of that?

Sorry for the OT , but I had to ask , what kind of mobo and cooling do you use for this o/cing ?
I’ve just built a PC for a friend with C2D E6300 and it can’t run stable @2.4 GHZ with stock cooling , MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition Ver 2.1 and 2 Gigs of DDR II 800 RAM :confused:

Fot O/c (if I decide to do it) purposes I use Asus M/B.

I use Asus P5B Deluxe non Wifi version, Ram I use Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 (D9 Micron IC–Most important factor in OC, must have Micron IC Chip) running at 2.35V for the Ram, cooling I use thermaltake big typhoon. If you want, get the Asus P5B deluxe with Wifi, the one with Wifi usually overclocks better, but if you want good OC and cheap, get gigabyte DS3 motherboard. And I am using Antec P180 case so I get plenty of real estate inside the case for maximal cooling.

My son has this “If you want, get the Asus P5B deluxe with Wifi” with Intel 6600 Due Dual processor, do you have any instruction step by step how he can O/C this MB/Processor?. ,

refer to this guide, but dont be like those guys, clock down one notch

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115217

Make sure you have good ram, not just good brand, but micron IC chip (meaning staying away from corsair unless you go for their top notch (dominator PC2-8500) then you will find micron, stay away from OCZ unless you get their PC2-8500. To be safe and guaranteed of getting micron chip, get crucial ballistix, they are owned by micron so all of their chips are micron base.

Thanks ghetocowboy, yes he just upgraded his system 2 months ago with Intel E6600 dual process, Asus Deluxe MB, 2 GB of Kingston 6400 RAM, top north Video card from Vgas and 550 w power supplies. I was building both of computers for almost 12 years now he does his own. Thanks again fro the information.

Welp, the kingston ram might be the bottleneck of his overclocking capability. It is very bad for overclocking. The only good kingston is the PC2-8500 because it uses Micron IC

Yes, first he got OZ brand then after a month and some headache at the recommendation of Mwave.com, which he purchased all the components exchange the OZ with Kingston with no problem so far, but no O/Cing.