If Verbs aren't guaranteed to be safe, then what are?

vbimport

Well, I’ve always seen Verbs as a safe bet of at least getting average, reliable quality results.

I’m about to buy some discs - was going to get TY Verbs from SVP but given this thread on the forum, I’m not so sure about it now.

Would it be wise to go for another disc brand, or the non TYs that they have?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/uk-50pk-verbs-bogof-staples-239117/

Get down to Staples and you can get the ones you want. No MID lottery when you can inspect them yourself.

Look for the MIT’s

I personally think you had one unlucky experience.

MCC004 is my most used and favourite media, be they MII, MIT, or now MIC.

Even the MIC ones aren’t terrible since they burn OK on a couple of my burners, but I find MCC004 to be the most compatible where multiple burners, from different brands, are concerned.

And as for 16x TY, that has it’s share of compatibility issues from what I’ve read around here.

That said, both Verbatim and TY would be the best I could recommend. Possibly also Sony, which you might like to try.

…So compared to the old-style non TYs linked to at the end of the first post (here), which would you recommend?

I get a feeling you’d say get TY but I’m not so sure.

Oh, and I have no Staples or anything similar where I live, thanks though :frowning:

With those ones you linked to, you have a 50/50 chance of getting either MID. So it could swing either way.

Last time I ordered, with the same 50/50 chance (with 8x Verb +R), I luckily got YUDEN000 T02.

If you want to give Infiniti a go, then I would recommend these - on condition you can return them if they turn out not to be MCC 03RG20 (SVP should be fine about that, since they advertise them as being MCC 03RG20).

If you’re unsure about Infiniti, I’ve used their (CMC-made) MCC004 and it’s some of the best MCC004 I’ve used. :wink:

Verbatim doesn’t have the reputation to sell premium TY, rather the contrary. :rolleyes:

Under the Verbatim brand, one is better off buying the MCC stuff (MCC 004, MCC 03RG20, MCC 02RG20…). These are mostly peace-of-mind, even though the odd lesser “batch” is always a possibility.

If you insist on TY, you’d better get them unbranded from a reputable, peace-of-mind dealer like Rima in the US and SVP in Europe. But anyway, IMO of course, MCC 004 is a better bet than any 16X TY, whatever the source.

There is NOTHING that is 100% guaranteed to be safe in the modern economy, even less when we pay such ridiculous prices for DVD+/-Rs…

Thaks guys.

Hmmm… will the the of disc be evident from the packaging code? If so shall I call SVP and ask what code is on the pods?

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2000625]Hmmm… will the the of disc be evident from the packaging code? [/quote]Yes. :slight_smile:

If so shall I call SVP and ask what code is on the pods?
You don’t even need to actually! Unless things have changed a lot (it’s been three months since I last ordered from SVP), SVP makes a clear difference between the TY-coded and the MCC-coded discs, and clearly labels them so, on a separate product page! :smiley:

If things have changed, sorry for the drivel…

Uh. I realise you were maybe talking about the Infiniti discs, if so, sorry! :o
Then no, one can’t tell from the package if they are MCC. But as [B]Arachne [/B]mentions, SVP will replace anything you’re not happy with, and with a smile. :bow:

If you want to buy DVD media with the highest probability of getting good media, then buy some of the premium Verbatim 8x DVD-R media (HardCoat protection, MediDisc, Archival Grade). These cost 3-4 times as much as regular Verbatim, however.

If you don’t want to pay that premium, then I suggest buying some [B]printable[/B] or LightScribe Verbatim 16x DVD+R media; these should all be MCC 004 (unlike the non-printable discs which can also be YUDEN000 T03). The printables are close to the non-printables in price.

For me there is no other available DVD media that is more widely compatible with burners than MCC 004, although YUDEN000 T02 can match it (but is more expensive and produces higher jitter in my experience). CMC MAG E01 comes close but good batches are hard to find, and MCC 02RG20 is also fairly compatible and generally good.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2000659]
If you don’t want to pay that premium, then I suggest buying some [B]printable[/B] or LightScribe Verbatim 16x DVD+R media; these should all be MCC 004 (unlike the non-printable discs which can also be YUDEN000 T03). The printables are close to the non-printables in price.[/QUOTE]

Good tip Drage! :bow:

I agree with Drage and would like to recommend MCC02RG20. Verbatim 8x -R has never failed me.

I cheked: currently, at SVP, only the [I]printable[/I] 16X +R Verbs are MCC 004.

Which incidentally fits [B]DrageMester[/B]'s advice nicely (you can always trust the dragon anyway: when he’s unsure of something, he clearly mentions it - if he’s sure of something, the odds that he’s right are extremely high :bigsmile: ), though SVP always clearly mentions the mediacode (YUDEN000T03 or MCC 004) of the 16X +R Verbs they sell. :slight_smile:

OK, uh… I’d definitely want non-printables as I like to be able to write on them and if I make a mess I can use meths and start over; non printables can’t do that.

Lightscribes look a fair bit dearer in poxy tubs of 10. And if I’m reading right, both of these types are not a terribly good idea? I always liked to go with Verb 'cos of the azo dye, too.

http://svp.co.uk/product/verbatim_dvd_minus_r_16x_silver_top_(43548)_3398_box

http://svp.co.uk/product/verbatim_16x_dvd_minus_r_(taiyo_yuden)_(43548)_3652_box

So you all are saying that with 16x DVD+R Verbatim YUDEN000T03 I’m worse off than with MCC004? That sucks because in all my (outdated) wisdom I have just bought 8 spindles of 50 discs of that brand and type. Buh.

[quote=Devil’s Prophet;2001453]So you all are saying that with 16x DVD+R Verbatim YUDEN000T03 I’m worse off than with MCC004? [/QUOTE]On average, yes I think MCC 004 is better than YUDEN000 T03.

That sucks because in all my (outdated) wisdom I have just bought 8 spindles of 50 discs of that brand and type. Buh.
Why not wait and see how good your discs are instead of expecting the worst based on bad reports here on CDFreaks? Not all Verbatim branded YUDEN000 T03 are bad or mediocre - some of it is good.

Taiyo Yuden T02 8X from Rima, Has never failed me. The best. Worth it.

For years i’ve used cheap-ass memorex ritekf1. I must be lucky since i’ve yet to burn a coaster on my poor dw1610 XD Lately i have started to use sony16d1. both have giving me 100% sucess up to this point

:bigsmile:[QUOTE=Thunderbolt69;2001520]Taiyo Yuden T02 8X from Rima, Has never failed me. The best. Worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yes these are the best & don’t change from spindle to spindle. This is all I buy.

every so often I buy a 100pk spindle of verbatim dvd + r for testing purposes, but I don’t trust verbatim anymore since I found YUDEN000T02. If they quit making these I’ll quit burning…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2001479]On average, yes I think MCC 004 is better than YUDEN000 T03.

Why not wait and see how good your discs are instead of expecting the worst based on bad reports here on CDFreaks? Not all Verbatim branded YUDEN000 T03 are bad or mediocre - some of it is good.[/QUOTE]

In my overall experience with Verbatim 16x YUDEN000T03 I find that - writting with only a slimline notebook burner: the NEC/Optiarc AD7543A - verbatim burn quality is nothing worse than the quality of Plextor 16x TY discs. From the one disc that I burned so far, I can see rather good PIF’s but soso PI’s.

Explanation for the files:
[B]ricohjpnr02.png[/B] is a burn with my rather old NEC AD2510A with factory firmware, dunno what version it had back then. The burn is performed at 2.4x I guess. Maybe 4x, but not faster. I never burn faster than 4x for the sake of the lifetime expectancy of the burned DVD.
[B]CMCMAGE01_NEC2510A2.F8QUIKEE.PNG[/B] is self explanatory: CMC MAG E01 media burned with a nec 2510A with 2.F8 maddog firmware modded by quikee. Quite a nice burn imho.
[B]nec2510A.jpg[/B] recent burn of my 2510A flashed with firmware 2.0A. Maybe that wasn’t such a good idea? Media used is Plextor 16x +R TYT03
[B]nec7543A.jpg[/B] Same media as above, but burned with Optiarc/NEC 7543A with 1.0I firmware by Liggy. Burned at 4x, scanned at “max” setting.
[B]nec7543A_2.jpg[/B] Same writer but different media: my all new Verbatim 16x +R TYT03. Burned at 2.4x, scanned at 4x.
[B]elizabeth_nerodvdspeed6x.png[/B] Same situation as above but scanned in the 7543A burner with CDDVDSpeed from nero suite.
[B]cars_nerodvdspeed6x.png[/B] is plextor 16x +R TYT03, actually same as the first kprobe scan from the 7543 burned disc, but now scanned in the exact same manner as the above one.