IEEE 1394b PCI 64-bit card

vbimport

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20030426/etc_ieee1394b.html

IEEE 1394b PCI 64-bit card.

mmm , raw speed.

i’m not to keen on the extra power plug though , why can’t they make cards with good power consumptions ?

Hmm I see some nice possibilities for this card here. 800Megabit per second should be able to do about 100MB/sec. Well that’s more than fast enough for using with a normal ATA133 harddisk. Maybe it’s even possible, to use a card like this for adressing external harddisk, without an additional powercable. That’d really be nice…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Hmm I see some nice possibilities for this card here. 800Megabit per second should be able to do about 100MB/sec. Well that’s more than fast enough for using with a normal ATA133 harddisk. Maybe it’s even possible, to use a card like this for adressing external harddisk, without an additional powercable. That’d really be nice…

how about , 72 speed writing … :eek:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]mmm , raw speed.

i’m not to keen on the extra power plug though , why can’t they make cards with good power consumptions ? [/B]

My guess is that it has nothing to do with the power consumption of the chipset itself. Unless 1394b is radically different from 1394a, the spec allows external devices to draw something like 18 watts of power from the 1394 connector. Now multiply that by 3 (18W per connector) and you are way over the PCI spec for power per slot, unless you supplement the power by bringing it in with an extra power plug. Compare this to the USB spec which only allows around 2.5W per port (500mA @ 5V), and you can see that you could run some serious devices off of the Firewire bus without the need for those annoying external power transformers (i.e. wall warts).

The plug is optional…most common 1394 devices (drive enclosures, card readers, camcorders, etc.) will work just fine if you don’t connect the auxiliary power. I don’t know of any devices off the top of my head that need that kind of power, but I’m sure there must be some.

It would be cool for hot pluggable harddisks indeed.

I think Adaptec SCSI has got some serious competition here. IEEE 1394b sounds cheaper than U-SCSI 320.

Is it me or is this card longer than ordinary 32bit PCI?

Originally posted by Airhead
Is it me or is this card longer than ordinary 32bit PCI?

It’s got twice the connector length!

The new MACs already have that interface “Firewire 2” 800 Mbps

And now Apple has upped the ante yet again, effectively doubling data throughput with its implementation of the IEEE 1394b standard, FireWire 800, available on the 17” PowerBook G4.

http://www.apple.com/firewire/

RHYTMOS