IE9 features Microsoft "borrowed" from other browsers

vbimport

IE9 features Microsoft “borrowed” from other browsers.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/09/2qR08.jpg[/newsimage]Reviews have begun to pour onto the internet from people who are testing out Microsoft’s new Internet Explorer 9 Beta released last week. Some are giving the browser high ratings, while others have dismissed it at too unstable in this early release.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ie9-features-microsoft-borrowed-from-other-browsers-34528/](http://www.myce.com/news/ie9-features-microsoft-borrowed-from-other-browsers-34528/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“While Firefox and Chrome have both incorporated hardware acceleration into their latest releases, it is not yet a default feature and must be manually enabled.”

That’s just plain stupid. I have both browsers installed and if I was told about these features then I sure as hell would have activated them. Kudos to Microsoft for having this feature enabled out of the gate. Most people have pretty decent video cards and they should be working their asses off whenever possible. I think I might download IE9 and give it a whirl.

Apart from anyone with an intel chipset using the intel onboard video, everyone in the last 10yrs has a decent 3D accelerator :iagree:

When they mean latest release what version of FF and chrome is referred here and how would one go about setting it?

“And finally, just for good measure, one original feature that Microsoft has added is a notification that pops up when an add-on is slowing down the browser with an option to disable the offending software. We wouldn’t be surprised to see other browsers incorporating this in the near future.”

Hasn’t Chrome been doing this since its release…?

So to sum up, IE9 has no homemade features and have “borrowed” the majority from Chrome. IE has been, and always will be unoriginal junkware to me…

[QUOTE=jammydav93;2546288]“And finally, just for good measure, one original feature that Microsoft has added is a notification that pops up when an add-on is slowing down the browser with an option to disable the offending software. We wouldn’t be surprised to see other browsers incorporating this in the near future.”

Hasn’t Chrome been doing this since its release…?

So to sum up, IE9 has no homemade features and have “borrowed” the majority from Chrome. IE has been, and always will be unoriginal junkware to me…[/QUOTE]

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Is it better not to incorporate a feature merely because someone else has something similar, and to have an inferior product instead? Are some of these Microsoft haters going tos ay that no features in the open source Office program are similar in any way to MS Office, or is only Microsoft who is not allowed to do this?

Also, to follow this way of thinking, since Microsoft has automatic enabling of hardware acceleration, Firefox and chrome cannot use this in future releases, not can they utilize HTML 5 because IE 9 already is using this.

For one, I am tired of Microsoft bashers who look for any excuse the criticize the company without ever acknowledging the fact that our industry would not be anywhere as standardized if it were not for their efforts, even if they were not as diplomatic and even handed as they might have been. I don’t see Apple going overboard to allow other manufacturers to use their O/S, something that Microsoft did from day 1.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2546302]
For one, I am tired of Microsoft bashers who look for any excuse the criticize the company without ever acknowledging the fact that our industry would not be anywhere as standardized if it were not for their efforts, even if they were not as diplomatic and even handed as they might have been. I don’t see Apple going overboard to allow other manufacturers to use their O/S, something that Microsoft did from day 1.[/QUOTE]

I’m not a MS basher, but what industry standards are you referring to? Certianly not hardware, not the internet, and if I remember correctly not software either. Word Perfect, Lotus, Dbase are the precursors of Office. MS was never a hardware maker so getting their OS onto as many machines as possible was their goal (they did it for the $), Apple has always been a hardware manufacturer. As for IE9 “borrowing” from other browsers, they all “borrowed” from Opera.

It is “ho-hum”. Nothing to get hyped up about and sure not good enough to have folks stressing out if they are experiencing the installation issues that thousands of users have experienced. Speaking of which, if Microsoft really wants to improve something why don’t they invent an operating system that doesn’t require more time to maintain that any application running on it. I will never get used to the idea of paying $200.00 for an operating system that is, in reality, a beta test that I am paying to participate in.

[QUOTE=rla;2546322]It is “ho-hum”. Nothing to get hyped up about and sure not good enough to have folks stressing out if they are experiencing the installation issues that thousands of users have experienced. Speaking of which, if Microsoft really wants to improve something why don’t they invent an operating system that doesn’t require more time to maintain that any application running on it. I will never get used to the idea of paying $200.00 for an operating system that is, in reality, a beta test that I am paying to participate in.[/QUOTE]

Well IE 9 IS a beta release. If you don’t like paying for the Window OS to “beta” test it, why not just beta test Linux or Apple? I personally LIKE Windows. I’ve never paid $200 either. Windows XP and 7 have been very stable for me. (I skipped Vista because I was satisfied with XP.

By the way, IE 9 only works on Windows Vista and above.

New tab popular sites.

Actually Opera with their Speed Dial was first with that (you can manually define which sites to use, but it’s basically the same feature). Then similar extension to Firefox was made. So Chrome wasn’t first to get this.

Download manager

Opera had download manager in 1998, years before first version of Firefox showed up.

Tab Location

Yes, but IE9 has tabs and address bar in the same line (which kinda sucks, but hey, it’s still different from Chrome, Firefox or Opera)

Integrated address & search bar

Firefox (and yes, Opera too ;)) had this before Chrome, so…

“Full” hardware acceleration

True, but none of them released stable version with HW acceleration so we have to wait to see who will really be “first”.

If you are writing article about “borrowing” features, at least check who was first to implement them, otherwise you look hypocritical.

BTW, you are using wrong Opera icon, here is official one:
http://media.opera.com/media/images/icon/Opera_512x512.png
Also IE9 has now new logo: