IE Installation Problems

vbimport

Hey all,

(hopefully I’m not offtopic…)

I have a very strange problem in my Win2K Pro installing IE of any version. When I try to install it, I always get this error message:

telling me that it can’t copy the file (this happens with all files during the installation process). The specified directory in the error message exists and so the file in that directory.

I tried to copy all the files to another directory and specifying it, but I still get this message…

I don’t know what to do anymore. :frowning:
I hop you can help me!?

Thanks in advance.

are you trying a “windowsupdate” type install or from a separate exe file??? (from a free disk or summat?)

ok. do you have problems loading other browsers on?

and lastly… have you re-installed w2k? - one assumes you already have ie5 on your system as w2k comes with it as standard… was this problem on install?

Originally posted by mr_claypole
are you trying a “windowsupdate” type install or from a separate exe file??? (from a free disk or summat?)

No, I use a separate installation file.

ok. do you have problems loading other browsers on?

No, I don’t. I can install Netscape or Opera with no problems,
but I must use IE…

and lastly… have you re-installed w2k? - one assumes you already have ie5 on your system as w2k comes with it as standard… was this problem on install?

I did not re-install w2k, but it wasn’t a problem in the main installation.
I have IE 5.0 installed, but I can’t update it to IE 5.01, 5.5 or 6.0b.

P.S.
I see that the image above is broken now… here is an alternative:

Hi there!
Firstly i would remove any previous Internet Explorer Instalations, you can do this from the control pannel in Add/Remove programs. After i have done this i would then get a new installation of Internet Explorer. If you are using a Cover Disk or something then i would say the files were corrupt. You should really use Windows Update that will always get it right!
Cheers
ChicaneWeaver
:):):slight_smile:

from what the little piccy says above - it can’t find the file… I know this is really obvious - but you have pointed that error message back to your cd rom? ? ?

The only reason I say that is that there are some stupid bits in (MS) software like SBS that like things to be re-pointed sometimes…

failing which - the uninstall and then windowsupdate is your best route…

I tried to uninstall all the previous instalations and I tried to use WindowsUpdate. It doesn’t help, still the same error message appear…

and yes I pointed to the right location.