IE doesn't shut down

vbimport

IE exe. doesn’t shut down automaticaly with the other programs. I have to click on shut down now button. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
:wink: OH! by the way. I want to say. Some great minds walk the halls of these forums :bow:

Actually it’s “explorer exe” i’m not sure if that’s Internet Explorer or not.

No, it’s not IE. It is a major part of Windows and it could be something else is causing it to hang. Try looking in Event Viewer and see if Windows is logging any errors, those could be helpful. Aside from that, you could try going back to a previous restore point before this problem occurred, you could try performing a repair using your XP CD, or you could try installing/reinstalling SP3.

You could try resetting IE. Then, restart the computer. You may need to do some tweaking such as enabling any add-ons. Post back if you need any help.

Well I tried what you suggested but the problem is still there. I’ve made so many changes I think it might be better to wipe the disc clean and start over. :doh: I’ve got plenty of time anyway. Thanks for your help though.

i guess it may be some maleware or virus that eats your pc resources

Try using malwarebytes to see if your computer is infected

[QUOTE=Bitdman;2163618]Actually it’s “explorer exe” i’m not sure if that’s Internet Explorer or not.[/QUOTE]

what version of O/S are you using and what version of IE do you have might help. IE7 is related to the O/S but has it supposly separate process. But if you can’t fix explorer with M$ updates then it come the last resort to reinstall your O/S to get rid of that caused the problem in the first place to explorer. But what I have to ask is what did you install before having this explorer problem???

" But what I have to ask. is what did you install before having this explorer problem??? "

A LOT of stuff!!! I did some research on what a “torrent” file is and went to some Web sites I shouldn’t have gone to. and downloaded some files I shouldn’t have downloaded. It’s cool now though.:smiley: Another problem I noticed even after re-installing windows XP Home, is IE.7 won’t work. When I click on the icon to run the screen just flickers and nothing happens. Also FYI if anyone out there needs or wants to re-install they’re OS Make sure you go to Microsoft’s web sight and download and install SP1a, or SP2 before SP3. Windows update goes right to SP3 and if you download it first you’ll have to do it all over again:a

I had no problem going from XP to SP3? Are you sure you not having some other issues??? Plus after IE7 is installed there are about 8 updates to IE7 as well beside just installing IE7. So when downloading IE7 make sure you get all the IE7 updates as well. Those files that where your AV should’ve stopped them from running unless you choose to let them run without finding out what they are.

Went to open an e-mail from this site Informing me of a reply to this thread.As soon as I clicked on it a widow popped up and started to cascade. Then another and another. Cascading indifferent directions, when it finally stopped I had about sidewinders open all microsoft ads 50 or so cascades each. I just manually shut the computer down and went to bed.
The next morning I immediately ran the malicious software removal tool and haven’t had any problems yet.

Those cascading windows are indications of malicious programs that is running that shouldn’t be there you should get the program hijack and run and post a log and also get a goog spyware, malware and rookit program and check to see what else is installed without your knowledge.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2167328]I had no problem going from XP to SP3? Are you sure you not having some other issues??? Plus after IE7 is installed there are about 8 updates to IE7 as well beside just installing IE7. So when downloading IE7 make sure you get all the IE7 updates as well. Those files that where your AV should’ve stopped them from running unless you choose to let them run without finding out what they are.[/QUOTE]

Does your XP have SP2 on it already? Mine is old “pre SP2” Thanks for the heads up on updates after IE7 install. I’ll try again :iagree:

try running Ad-aware by lavasoft, and Spybot Search and destroy.

I’ve purchased Stopzilla and have run Microsoft’s “malicious ad-ware removal tool” a couple of times and everything seems fine now. I’ve been using a computer for over six years and didn’t have anything happen until just recently. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.