IE 9 two browser instances in Processes

vbimport

When I open my Task Manager with only one IE9 browser open it shows two instances in Processes.
I didn’t see this when I had IE 7 .
Is this new for IE9 ?
Could it be a backup in case the browser crashes ?
The first instance shows as yes/visible in Emsisoft Hijack Free.
The second instance shows as no/visible in Emsisoft Hijack Free.

I don’t use IE at all, but it’s probably similar to what Chrome does, one tab/window crashing won’t bring down the entire browser. By the way, with two tabs open in Chrome, I have 5 instances running. Go figure. :slight_smile:

I don’t have Chrome but I also have Opera & FF. Neither do this.
I also have tab browsing turned off in IE9 . So this is with only one window open on one site.
I think it is a “shadow” browser for lack of a better description. I would just like to have that confirmed if it is what is happening.
If I “End Process” with Task Manager it does what I expect on one of the instances . Closes the browser.
On the other one it does something like a “refresh” but not exactly.

[QUOTE=cholla;2606713]
I also have tab browsing turned off in IE9 . So this is with only one window open on one site.
[/QUOTE]
The second instance is there because of the tab. Wether you have tabbed browsing on or not ie still uses a tab it’s how it works. As you have tabbed off that’s why when you stop the process it shuts down ie altogether, The other one doesn’t refresh it will make your window go white as you have closed it but not the program.

The white screen is what happens but it doesn’t actually close it because it never goes away. Closing the instance that turns the screen white reappears immediatly if it goes away at all.
The only thing I’ve done to turn off the tab browsing is uncheck "Enable Tabbed Browsing (requires restarting Internet Explorer) " in Internet Options. I haven’t went into the registry .
Everything is working OK . I just thought browsing might speed up a bit with only one browser instance

guess that u a running IE9 in Protected mode not tested yet.

[QUOTE=macnavarra;2612854]guess that u a running IE9 in Protected mode not tested yet.[/QUOTE]
No I have Protected mode unchecked .

maybe these will help—> http://dly.free.fr/site/spip.php?article2

@ macnavarra , First thanks for trying to help. I had already checked what was in the article you posted the link to. Including running A-Square(now Emsisoft Anti-Malware) in safe mode.
Since I only ever had two instances & not the several that many had I think slayerking’s answer is spot on for my problem.

Yeah, I use Chrome and it sometimes has a dozen processes. It helps crash proof it by having the Tab a separate process from the Flash Player or Java. Chrome will even leave stuff running when closed unless you go ‘Under the Hood’ and un-check ‘Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed’.

Are you running the x64 version of Windows 7?

IF so it’s possible you are looking at the TWO IE’s
(x86 and x64) that the x64 OS carries around

AD

@ Allan , I’m running Vista 32 or x86 which ever you prefer.

Scratch that idea…

AD

[QUOTE=cholla;2606567]When I open my Task Manager with only one IE9 browser open it shows two instances in Processes.
I didn’t see this when I had IE 7 .
Is this new for IE9 ?
Could it be a backup in case the browser crashes ?
The first instance shows as yes/visible in Emsisoft Hijack Free.
The second instance shows as no/visible in Emsisoft Hijack Free.[/QUOTE]

If I might interject it sounds like one instance of IE9 didn’t properly close and you decided to reopen IE9 again without the first IE9 properly shutting down causing a ghost of IE9 from prior not really doing anything but taking up memory resources but doing nothing.

Again I believe slayerking gave the correct answer.
If he is correct then there is no virus .

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2613063]If I might interject it sounds like one instance of IE9 didn’t properly close and you decided to reopen IE9 again without the first IE9 properly shutting down causing a ghost of IE9 from prior not really doing anything but taking up memory resources but doing nothing.[/QUOTE]
I’m sure a reboot would correct that & I have rebooted many times since I started this topic. Even into safe mode .
If for some reason you think an improperly closed IE9 instance could survive that I would be happy to read the explanation.
If you have seen this & know of a fix I would give it a try.