Identifying Memorex 16x DVD±R: RICOHJPNR03, CMCMAGM01, etc

Last night I took two more spindles of Memorex 16x 25pack DVD+R $9.99 each at bestbuy with MIDs RICOHJPNR03 and CMCMAGM01 (again).

In LG 4163B and BenQ 1620, RICOHJPNR03 burns better (less PIF) than CMCMAGM01.
BenQ 1620 RICOHJPNR03 at 16x - LG 4163 RICOHJPNR03 at 16x
BenQ 1620 CMCMAGM01 at 16x - LG 4163 CMCMAGM01 at 16x

I noticed that my spindle of CMCMAGM01 has 3 stacking foams on the top while the RICOHJPNR03 comes with a foam at the bottom (hence the discs is pushed up). Since the top paper label and the purple plastic wrap are identical, I think the less rude way to get RICOHJPNR03 is by peeling the plastic wrap seal a little so you can see if there is any foams or not. :bigsmile:

Anybody else knows how to identify other MIDs (PHILIPSC16, CMCMAGAM3, MCC004, etc)?

RICOHJPNR03 for US$0.4 per disk… makes me wonder why CMC, Prodisc, BeAll, and all other media manufacturers haven’t gone bankrupt yet.

the PHILIPSC16 i got was a 50pk spindle that looks more along the lines of the one on the right in your picture (including the foam spacers and paper insert above them).

I think this is something universal with ricohjpn vs cmc mag. TDK 8X DVD+Rs also come in batches as either ricohjpn or cmc mag. The way to tell between the two is virtually the same - the ricoh ones have no sponge spacers. The only difference is that the cmc mag ones have two spacers in this case not 3.

Maybe this can be used for other brands of discs that come from both manufacturers too :wink:

Hi,
I got a 25 pack of memorex 16x that are PRODISC R04.
I bought them from Circuit City a couple of weeks ago on sale for 9.99.
It has a paper label then a dense foam spacer on top.

The 25 packs of 16x DVD+R that I got were both Ricoh JPNR03, and have a foam spacer @ the bottom, with none @ the top. There was also a paper label over the top just like the other Ricohs. Same thick black base, and they’re made in taiwan. :iagree:

If you Buy the 50 Pack Spindle they will be MCC004. I just got them at Best Buy over the Weekend on Sale for $17.99

Not necessarily. I bought a 50 pack of Memorex 16x +R a while back and got PRODISCR04 (which is actually what I wanted).

My 100 spindle of printable Memorex 16x DVD+R = RICOHJPNR03

it’s because people go to their favourite retailer and ask the staff, “Is this good?” or “Is there any difference in quality?” and 10 out of 10 times they will say “no”.

by the way, wesociety, did yours have spacers on the top?

Be very careful with Memorex, I have had bad luck with those a while ago. Their quality control is virtually unexistant. CMC is to be avoided like the plague it is in my opinion the worst CRAP out there. I have MANY CMC mags and all have mountains of PI/PIFs at the end of the discs. If you are concerned with longevity and burn quality or you fill your disc completly, avoid those at all cost. You are still better off with Riteks than CMC :slight_smile:

I have no idea if this may have anything to do with it but according to the official website, Memorex is a brand owned by E-net distribution :confused:

http://www.e-netdistribution.co.uk/brands.htm

as i’ve read a fair bit on various forums about the probs a lot of people have with E-net distributed discs with regard to their variability.

Memorex is an American corporation…that link just indicates the brands that E-net distributes in Europe not which brands they own…most likely E-net is the official partner of Memorex resonsible for selling Memorex branded media to the European market…

drpino is right… Memorex is definitely not OWNED by E-Net Distribution

spacers on my 100 pack were not visible until the pack was opened…

Memorex is owned by Hanny Holdings Limited who also owns Dysan.

E-net does some distribution in Europe.

I just got Memorex labled RICOHJPNR03 which is supposed to be 16X, but when I try it, and scan it with Plextools on my PX-716a (firmware 1.08) - the scans are terrible :sad: . I think I need to return this crap :confused:

[QUOTE=drpino;1113409]Memorex is an American corporation…that link just indicates the brands that E-net distributes in Europe not which brands they own…most likely E-net is the official partner of Memorex resonsible for selling Memorex branded media to the European market…[/QUOTE]

As of April 2006, Memorex Products Corporation is a subsidiary of Imation Corp. they also make other brands as well as Imation and others
:slight_smile: