Identifying media on the basis of serial no or similar?

Hi!

I am new to this community and I hope you could help me.

Is it possible to identify media on the basis of a serial number or something similar? I don’t mean the media type or manufacturer but an explicit code on each media to identify different discs of one production line. I want to identify all my media explicit, independent of the contents.

Thx in adcance!

Regards,
Buffo

Yes. There are three sets of numbers on discs: 1) the production code that states the line, the shift, the type, the dye, the date, and any other information the producer wants to be able to trace the disc back; 2) the stamper/cavity code visible near the hub ring; and 3) the MID code that is invisible but is stamped in digital form on the substrate when the disc is made. The production codes are all different for each factory and intentionally difficult to interpret unless you know the sequence. However, the production code is uniform for all the discs in a spindle; and by studying the variations you can use that for some cataloguing. (The factories do routinely change their production code sequence from time to time.)

Thx for your reply :slight_smile:

I forgot to say that I want to identify the discs on my computer with a tool that reads out a unique attribute, not by reading from the surface. Is this possible?

Further I want to be able to differ discs even if they are from the same package - regardless of the content, even if it’s clean. I hope now it’s clear enough :wink:

Sorry for that :wink:

Regards,
Buffo

The only unique attribute will be the production code. You will have to mark the discs somehow yourself to distinguish them. There are ink-jet printers that can print bar codes on discs. These are sometimes used in digital libraries.

That doesn’t help me :wink:

I want to read out an unique attribute by a software not by myself. The disc should be recognized after inserting.

Regards,
Buffo

I guess you could use unique volume numbers or a serial file written to each disc.

Yes, that would be a solution but I thought there is a unique attribute you can use without human intervention :wink:

I think it is not possible and I have to brainstorm a little bit and find another solution.

Anyway big thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

Regards,
Buffo