Identify chipset looking at HARDWARE?

hi!

what are the part numbers of chips from the different chipsets (5 and 6) around?

i just thought that maybe the chipset 6 was downwards compatible w/ ver 5, so maybe liteon has begun using the new chipset in “old” hardware (ie 48125s).

any information out there? if not, anyone willing and able to open up a 48126, 48246, 52246?

the chips on my new 48125S read
MT1508E
0217-CRS
HC599

and

MT1516E
0215-CPS

j

btw: i just found out that the ASUS CRW 4816A uses the same chipset, almost identical chip versions:

MT1508E
0216-CRS

anybody ever tried flashing the asus f/w ?

Try a search of this forum. You may get a few answers… Now if you had a 6 series drive, I would be interested…

@jpiranha

You’ll learn more about it if you read my posts from 26- and 28-07-02
club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50880

It’s now known that it’s become possible to upgrade the 32123S to 40125S.
I guess it’s kinda exciting to find out what ( and whose ! ) reactions were then
when I was saying that inside my 40125S was in fact the 32123S.

Yeeeah really, a lot of water has flown under the bridge since then :smiley:

Originally posted by BoSkin

You’ll learn more about it if you read my posts from 26- and 28-07-02
club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50880

yeah, believe it or not, I already did that :slight_smile:
fact is, the two drives share common parts, yet they are far from identical! the front part is the same, the back part w/ the chipset isn’t. that’s why you can’t flash the 3-series w/ the 5-series firmware.

there IS a possibility to overclock to 40x, but using some special ver 3 firmware!

guess we won’t know more until someone opens up his/her series 6 drive.

j

the front part is the same, the back part w/ the chipset isn’t.

What exactly do you mean by saying the back part w/ the chipset ?
It’s exactly opposite - the fronts are different, the inside is identical. At least the 2 chipsets were identical as it showed to be.
I’m curious if you read this ? club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55545

yet they are far from identical!

Not as far as you might think :wink:

Well, whatever…

[B]
Not as far as you might think :wink:

Well, whatever… [/B]

well, yes, i know. that’s actually what i was talking about. different revisions differ only in the chips? can a series 3 drive using the same chips as a series 5 one be flashed w/ the series 5 f/w? at least, i’ve never heard of that! the XS f/w is a series 3 f/w allowing for 40x buring.

has anyone ever tried to put the new 48246S bios available at the liteon site onto a 40125 / 48125 ?

j

Originally posted by jpiranha

has anyone ever tried to put the new 48246S bios available at the liteon site onto a 40125 / 48125 ?

Guess, none. Yet ! :smiley:

[B]

Guess, none. Yet ! :smiley: [/B]

well, i’ll have to try it, then :confused:
WISH ME LUCK, the drive is only 3 days old :bigsmile:

I wish you good luck !!! :wink:

But I’m gonna give it a try on my own anyway.
At least I know how to revive it in case of…: :cool: