Ideal mobile output format (mp4 vs avi vs wmv)

vbimport

MOVIES:
What is the best output format for a nice high res movie rip? I don’t care about file size, all encoding will be done at 2250kbps.

mp4 (h264+aac)
avi (dont know i guess it would be h264 too)
wmv

MUSIC:
I heard wmv is “lossless” and music should be ripped to wmv instead of mp3… is that true?

anyone? i’ve searched wikipedia, google, etc to no avail.

buzz
For me, H.264+MP3 is perfect: all I need is 2-channel audio and the H.264 codec produces better images for a given file size/bitrate than anything else I have tried. On the devices I use for playback (Archos or sometimes PC), high bitrate MP3 audio is indistinguishable from the original. What is perfect for you or others may be different.

[quote=buzzin1999;2094634]MOVIES:
What is the best output format for a nice high res movie rip? I don’t care about file size, all encoding will be done at 2250kbps.

mp4 (h264+aac)
avi (dont know i guess it would be h264 too)
wmv

MUSIC:
I heard wmv is “lossless” and music should be ripped to wmv instead of mp3… is that true?[/quote]

Why 2250kbps specifically? What are you viewing these movies with? You are interested in “lossless” for audio but you haven’t specified what your device will support or what you are trying to achieve.

If it is a mobile device then Signals is the man to listen to.

I am using it on a Zune80gb. It supports up to 2500kbps video bit rate. I am interested in having the utmost quality up to that point.

The XBOX 360 (wmp10) or Zune setting, for a wmv file, at at least 2000kbps is good (with high bitrate audio of course). I usualy use the AppleTV (don’t have one I just use the setting) setting for mp4 (h264 + aac) at at least 1500 kbps video. I notice a better picture quality in the mp4 format than the wmv at 1500 kbps. The mp4 looks even better at 2000kbps vs the mp4 at 1500kbps. I also use high bitrate audio and set the volume to at least 150%. The wmv and mp4 settings are pretty much the same file size when done at the same bitrates. WMV slightly smaller, I suspect because of the better compression rate in the wma audio format. I stay away from the avi settings because I have to use a higher bitrate to get a good picture. The mkv settings are good but less players support that format. (pc players can always remedy that with the right codecs) I use these (wmv and mp4) formats on my HTPC on my big screen (52") hd tv and they look great. I do notice a slightly better picture in the mp4 at the same bitrates though. Vista lets you edit more of the movie info in the video file for the wmv than in the mp4.

As far as music goes. Neither is realy more lossless than the other. You do get smaller file sizes and better quality at the same bitrate in wma over mp3 though. Your ripper should be able to rip either format to ‘lossless’ just check your settings.

flac is a lossless audio format but it has pretty big file sies and less supporting players ( again codecs can easily remedy that on pc players)

Thanks. Right now I’m using the Generic MP4 setting (seems to offer the widest range of resolution choices), at 2250kbps and 256kbps for mp3 audio.

Even though my playback device supports up to 2500kbps for video, I noticed that when I rip a video at 2500kbps, it actually comes out at 2600 or 2700 (using gspot to view the details). When I rip at 2250, Gspot shows the video as somewhere around 2450kbps. Not sure why the discrepancy.

This is really subjective and you have to find the settings that you are happy with on your device.

For example I have found that on my new phone (HTC Touch HD) that going above 500 Kbps bitrate give very little increase in quality for a far larger file and this is at the native 800 x 480 resolution using a WMV profile.