Ideal cdrw not found!

Hello, this is my first post on this forum :slight_smile:

I cannot find the cdrw that I am looking for. I want both the ability to to rip protected audio cd’s and make backups of safedisc protected cd roms. Even if there exist some workarounds like clonecd’s aws for teac and plextor and rumors of lite-on firmware vs08 reading protected audio cds, it really looks like no vendors is offering both.

I see two solutions which I need some advices on:

1. Buying a cheap cdr that can handle protected audio cd’s (Does such readers exist ?) and a lite-on/tdk cyclone for correct EFM writing.

2. I suppose it is just a matter of time(one year or so) before I will buy a DVDrw. Does anyone have an idea of what these writers are most likely to support, correct EFM or protected audio cd reading, or both. This will influence my choice of cdrw now.

On my shortlist:
Teac 540 at 93$
TDK cyclone 482448 at 97$
Lite-on 522452/401248 at 97$/71$
Plextor 401240 at 123$

plex 482448 and Yamaha 441644 both 160$ are exluded from shortlist because of price compared to upcoming DVDrw’s

I don’t know where you are located or what currency you are using, but here are prices at newegg.com
Teac - $84
TDK (Lite-On 48x24x48) - $59
Lite-Ons - $79/$56
Plex - $95
Plex 48x - $108
yamaha - $128

Keep in mind many of these are OEM versions, but if you already have the software, that shouldn’t be a problem.

As far as I know, there isn’t a cheap protected audio reader. The Lite-On 48x24x48 is on sale right now, and 24x rewrite is more important than the extra 4x write of the 52x (and even so, you can overclock it).

I doubt that most DVD writers would have correct efm encoding, except if Lite-On makes one. I would imagine the designers make them for backing up data mainly, not copying games.