Ideal Audio CD backup

Another option if one is dealing with problematic cd discs, is to use two or more different dvdr drives to rip such cantankerous discs.

Though these days, there’s only really two options: LG and LiteOn. Just about everything else is not manufactured anymore, and/or is a rebadged drive manufactured by LG or LiteOn.

If you want a different drive architecture than LG or LiteOn, you’re going to be fishing around on the second handled dvdr drive market.

Yes, it’s true. Thanks. I have the LiteOn DVDRW and I will probably buy a (“friendly” :wink: ) LG BDRW soon, to also cover the possibility of a BD that needs ripping and to be able to save from time to time a back on a m-disc.

For example, I used several different drives to rip those EMI released “copy control” cds I have to see which corresponding rips are consistent with one another.

I run a hashing program to see which ripped wavs are the different, such as quickhash

If you don’t trust programs like EAC, etc … there is always the option of writing your own computer code.

The scsi interface command for reading cd discs (ie. op code 0xBE or 0xB9) , has the option of dumping additional information such as P->W subchannel data, and the c2 error data.

Hi! It’s not my case. I trust EAC&co. as so many people use them, and therefore test them, daily. Writing my own code would be time consuming, error prone, and … redundant.

I asked this question because I wanted to know what are the experiences of other people, and their conclusions in time. I finally decided to rip all the CDs to wavs with dbpoweramp reference r16.x, and to store them on the hdd in my htpc, and to also burn them on m-discs - every time I make a new 100GB of rips.

As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, one of my hobbies is figuring out how the extra basketcase drm functons on audio cd discs (and also dvds). So a lot of ths type of investigation would require writing my own code to dump a lot of the additional data from discs.

In the case of extra basketcase drm on audio cds (such as drm-filled titles from the early->mid 2000s), this would require reading the table-of-contents (toc) and the subchannel data by hand. This style of drm deliberately corrupted such tocdata.

Do you know which CDS200 version is on this Phil Collins cd from 2002 ?

If you open up the disc on the computer, there will be a directory. (Be sure to turn off autoplay for cds). There is a subdirectory named “player”, where there should be a file there named “version.txt”.

On all the EMI cd titles I have with CDS200, the “version.txt” contents were:

CDS200.0.4
4.1 build 2e