Ideal Audio CD backup

Another option if one is dealing with problematic cd discs, is to use two or more different dvdr drives to rip such cantankerous discs.

Though these days, there’s only really two options: LG and LiteOn. Just about everything else is not manufactured anymore, and/or is a rebadged drive manufactured by LG or LiteOn.

If you want a different drive architecture than LG or LiteOn, you’re going to be fishing around on the second handled dvdr drive market.

Yes, it’s true. Thanks. I have the LiteOn DVDRW and I will probably buy a (“friendly” :wink: ) LG BDRW soon, to also cover the possibility of a BD that needs ripping and to be able to save from time to time a back on a m-disc.

For example, I used several different drives to rip those EMI released “copy control” cds I have to see which corresponding rips are consistent with one another.

I run a hashing program to see which ripped wavs are the different, such as quickhash

If you don’t trust programs like EAC, etc … there is always the option of writing your own computer code.

The scsi interface command for reading cd discs (ie. op code 0xBE or 0xB9) , has the option of dumping additional information such as P->W subchannel data, and the c2 error data.

Hi! It’s not my case. I trust EAC&co. as so many people use them, and therefore test them, daily. Writing my own code would be time consuming, error prone, and … redundant.

I asked this question because I wanted to know what are the experiences of other people, and their conclusions in time. I finally decided to rip all the CDs to wavs with dbpoweramp reference r16.x, and to store them on the hdd in my htpc, and to also burn them on m-discs - every time I make a new 100GB of rips.

As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, one of my hobbies is figuring out how the extra basketcase drm functons on audio cd discs (and also dvds). So a lot of ths type of investigation would require writing my own code to dump a lot of the additional data from discs.

In the case of extra basketcase drm on audio cds (such as drm-filled titles from the early->mid 2000s), this would require reading the table-of-contents (toc) and the subchannel data by hand. This style of drm deliberately corrupted such tocdata.

Do you know which CDS200 version is on this Phil Collins cd from 2002 ?

If you open up the disc on the computer, there will be a directory. (Be sure to turn off autoplay for cds). There is a subdirectory named “player”, where there should be a file there named “version.txt”.

On all the EMI cd titles I have with CDS200, the “version.txt” contents were:

CDS200.0.4
4.1 build 2e

Basically it’s best to backup to lossless format (i.e. FLAC) and then from there you can re-rip to a lossy format (i.e. Opus/AAC (I would avoid MP3 at this point in time)) whenever you need to. I use Foobar2000 with it’s ‘convert’ function do to all of this FLAC to Opus/AAC/MP3 stuff. but you need to install the Foobar2000 Encoders Pack if your just doing Opus/MP3 conversion as if you want proper AAC stuff (basically uses Apple’s encoder which is the best for AAC) you will need additional stuff which to sum it up you simply extract the following file to your Foobar2000’s ‘encoders’ folder… http://tinyurl.com/y4vok9j6 ; I basically made that .7z file as it simply extracted the required files out of the iTunes installer so you can get the AAC encoding but without having to install that iTunes crap which is bloated.

or for those who don’t trust me, here is basically what I did… https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet ; download the ‘makeportable.zip’ (which is the 3rd one from the top) which inside of that is a ‘makeportable.cmd’ file and put that file into the same folder as the downloaded iTunes installer file (which you can download online) and run it (for example… put the iTunes installer exe file and .cmd file into… C:\TEMP\ ) and it will extract the needed files to a ‘QTfiles’ folder in the same directory and then simply copy that QTFiles directory to your ‘encoders’ folder located inside of your Foobar2000 installation directory and that’s that, the ‘convert’ function will now work for AAC files and your getting the best quality AAC files possible (you can adjust your bit rate etc from within Foobar2000’s convert menu). but what I linked to in the ‘tinyurl’ above makes things simpler for you as I made those from the iTunes v12.7.4 which was basically from March 2018 and you don’t have to worry about newer versions because their AAC encoders has not been updated from a sound quality standpoint for many years now. but with that said… my advice is use Opus v1.3 where possible as it’s better than AAC simply because it takes less bit rate to achieve a similar level of sound quality and you won’t even have to download anything I linked to and can just use the basic Foobar2000 along with it’s Encoders Pack and your all set.

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) seems to be the standard program people recommend for ripping original AUDIO CD’s.

for portable use I suggest Opus @ 96kbps (64kbps is good if your tight on space and a maximum of 128kbps) and Apple AAC @ 96kbps or 128kbps.

p.s. it’s pointless to use .WAV files since they take up about twice the storage space as FLAC does and the audio quality is identical since they are both lossless.

Thank you very much for this detailed answer. I finally chose to stay with dbPoweramp for the copy and convertion of the CD content and with Media Player Classic to play the resulted files. I use mostly .wav and .flac as now there is enough space for both stationary and mobile devices in terms of USD/GB.

Media Player Classic is primarily a video playback program. Foobar2000 (and other like programs) are designed for audio. basically I think you will find Foobar2000 (and the like) is better suited for audio playback than Media Player Classic is as it’s interface is nothing fancy but the program does what it does well which is playing audio and you can even open different tabs and load up whatever music files you want in them by dragging and dropping audio files in there etc and converting files, once you do some basic setup, is pretty easy to.

but any .WAV files you currently have can be converted quickly to .FLAC as there is zero reason to keep .WAV files since they take up about twice the storage space with zero benefit over .FLAC as there is no loss of sound quality converting a original .WAV file to .FLAC since it’s a lossless audio format. so basically .FLAC outright tops .WAV because it takes less storage space for identical sound quality.

but if your ever low on storage space for mobile stuff etc… Opus is likely what you want (assuming your device can play these files) since it’s the most advanced lossy audio format right now as depending on what kind of sound quality your happy with you can lower the bit rate quite a bit with Opus and still have decent sound quality as even 32kbps or 48kbps, which is quite a low bit rate for music, still sounds alright considering the very low bit rate. but, in my opinion, I would generally choose either 64kbps, 96kbps(I suggest this as a default for most people since I think it’s the sweet spot in terms of sound quality/file size), 128kbps as a general guideline as you will probably find one of those three settings to suit your needs and they are still efficient to as much beyond 128kbps with Opus is a waste of storage space with minimal benefit as efficiency starts to go out-the-window much over 128kbps.

but when it comes to speech with Opus v1.3… I find down to 13kbps is quite good overall in that sound quality is still decent (especially if your source file has good sound quality to begin with) but file size is kept VERY low. in my opinion, I would generally avoid going any lower than 13kbps for speech (and one might prefer a bit higher if you want to play it a bit safer) with Opus v1.3. but for the previous release of Opus, which is v1.2.1, I would suggest no lower than 14kbps. but if you want sound quality pretty close to the source file then you will have to bump up the bit rate a bit. but since it’s just speech I tend not to be as picky as I would be with music.

just some thoughts. have a good day :wink:

Thank you for these insights. Have a nice day! :slight_smile: