IDE Types

vbimport

Sorry but the search function didn't help. :o

Somewhere on the forum i had found that appart from having a hard disk and board that supports udma 100 it is necessary to use the appropriate ide cable. What is the difference between these two cables?

Thanx

Cables for udma 100 devices are 40 pin/80 wires. Slower IDE devices take 40pin/40 wire cables. The faster cables are backward compatible with the slower devices. Using the 40 wire cables with udma 100 devices will force them to run at the slower speeds.

Originally posted by Hemispasm
[B]Sorry but the help function didn’t help. :o

Somewhere on the forum i had found that appart from having a hard disk and board that supports udma 100 it is necessary to use the appropriate ide cable. What is the difference between these two cables?

Thanx [/B]

Originally posted by rmunde
Cables for udma 100 devices are 40 pin/80 wires. Slower IDE devices take 40pin/40 wire cables. The faster cables are backward compatible with the slower devices. Using the 40 wire cables with udma 100 devices will force them to run at the slower speeds.

Yep i kind of knew that, what i am not sure of is whether there is any difference between the cables visually, so that i can see if their are the proper ones. There’s nothing written on them. They are both 40 pin right? Can’t check the wiring though …

The wires are much thinner on the udmsa 100 ribbon cables. Most of the round cables I’ve seen are udma 100, though you cannot see the wires. of course. If it’s not marked udma 100 or 133, don’t buy it.

Yep i kind of knew that, what i am not sure of is whether there is any difference between the cables visually, so that i can see if their are the proper ones. There’s nothing written on them. They are both 40 pin right? Can’t check the wiring though …

[B]The wires are much thinner on the udmsa 100 ribbon cables. Most of the round cables I’ve seen are udma 100, though you cannot see the wires. of course. If it’s not marked udma 100 or 133, don’t buy it.

[/B]
so, i guess i’ll have to get out and buy those round ide cables … the ones i have are flat (so probably not udma100). Well what the heck, it’s a nice opportunity to play with the ones i’ve got, you know; open them up and start counting (the wires :smiley: )

Wierd though, dos and windows state ide 1 is udma 100 …

What makes you think it’s not?

[B]so, i guess i’ll have to get out and buy those round ide cables … the ones i have are flat (so probably not udma100). Well what the heck, it’s a nice opportunity to play with the ones i’ve got, you know; open them up and start counting (the wires :smiley: )

Wierd though, dos and windows state ide 1 is udma 100 … [/B]

[B]What makes you think it’s not?

[/B]
Cause they have the exact same thickness as the ones i had on my old celeron 333Mhz based system, which of course was not udma compatible :wink:

You mentioned that " The wires are much thinner on the udmsa 100 ribbon cables." right?

Yes. The thicker wires are a give-away.

I don’t know where you’re located, but I found round udma 100 cables on the web for ~ $6 and they appear to be as well-made as the ones in my local Fry’s which sell for $16 and up.

[B]Cause they have the exact same thickness as the ones i had on my old celeron 333Mhz based system, which of course was not udma compatible :wink:

You mentioned that " The wires are much thinner on the udmsa 100 ribbon cables." right? [/B]

[B]Yes. The thicker wires are a give-away.

I don’t know where you’re located, but I found round udma 100 cables on the web for ~ $6 and they appear to be as well-made as the ones in my local Fry’s which sell for $16 and up.

[/B]
Thanx a lot. I think i will find round dma cables here too (aka greece) … although i’m not sure about the price. :wink:

So is it normal that even if the ide cable is not udma compatible, windows state that ide 1 is udma5? Does it just check whether the board and HDD is udma compatible?

Which OS are you using? XP seems to check the IDE port. At least that’s what it’s reporting in terms of dma mode.

[B]Thanx a lot. I think i will find round dma cables here too (aka greece) … although i’m not sure about the price. :wink:

So is it normal that even if the ide cable is not udma compatible, windows state that ide 1 is udma5? Does it just check whether the board and HDD is udma compatible? [/B]

[B]Which OS are you using? XP seems to check the IDE port. At least that’s what it’s reporting in terms of dma mode.

[/B]
Yep i’m using XP. So you think the cable is alright?

No, I think the port is alright. I’m not certain that you can infer from this that the cable is udma 100 compatible.

Yep i’m using XP. So you think the cable is alright?

[B]No, I think the port is alright. I’m not certain that you can infer from this that the cable is udma 100 compatible.

[/B]
This is why i am not sure too… well i guess there is only one solution. Get the round udma cables and run benchmarks on the disk with both cable types. But then i will have spent some money, when maybe there’s no need to …

Hummm… If windows XP says it’s UDMA 5, I believe that the cable is UDMA-100 too, because before I got my UDMA-100 cable (Same rest of the system) it said UDMA 2 (33, doesn’t require the 80-pin cable). Anyways, it is also possible to count the number of wires, since each wire is “visible”, like, they’re “wrapped individually” in the plastic casing (on flat IDE cables).

Originally posted by Fallen
Hummm… If windows XP says it’s UDMA 5, I believe that the cable is UDMA-100 too, because before I got my UDMA-100 cable (Same rest of the system) it said UDMA 2 (33, doesn’t require the 80-pin cable). Anyways, it is also possible to count the number of wires, since each wire is “visible”, like, they’re “wrapped individually” in the plastic casing (on flat IDE cables).
Well i guess i should start counting … :wink:

If your IDE cables have standard grey connectors they are regular 33’s. The 80 wire types (66/100) usually have a blue (or sometimes red) connector.

Right and the blue end goes to the motherboard connector.

Originally posted by MysticEyes
If your IDE cables have standard grey connectors they are regular 33’s. The 80 wire types (66/100) usually have a blue (or sometimes red) connector.

[B]Right and the blue end goes to the motherboard connector.

[/B]

doesn’t have to. you could also use the other end if that’s more convenient. just make sure you connect the red wire to pin #1