IDE to SATA converter for DW1640

vbimport

Hi All!

Been while since I’ve posted but I have always been around!

I have a DW1640 which I would like to use with a newer computer that does not have a PATA/IDE controller.

Is there a recommended converter that any of you use? Alternatively, is there a PCI IDE controller that is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Adict2jane :cool:

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2747986]Hi All!

Been while since I’ve posted but I have always been around!

I have a DW1640 which I would like to use with a newer computer that does not have a PATA/IDE controller.

Is there a recommended converter that any of you use? Alternatively, is there a PCI IDE controller that is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Adict2jane :cool:[/QUOTE]

I personally don’t know of many/any add-in cards OR converters guaranteed to work with ATAPI devices. Previously, cards with the SiI0680 (Silicon Image 680) PATA controller were stated to be the best, but it seems difficult to trace them down. SIIG apparently still has a model with said chipset - https://www.google.com/search?q=SIIG+SC-PE4B12-S4 - but it’s expensive.

Since you say you wanted to use a DW1640, I did a little bit of backtracing, and found a post by Stereodude where he went searching for a PCIe card…

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2698353] [snip]…
I’m going to try out a Startech PEX2IDE next. I don’t expect any issues since the BenQ DW1650 works fine off a JMB36x in one of my other PCs.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2698865]The Startech PEX2IDE arrived today. As expected, it works fine. The BenQ DW1650 scans nicely while connected to it. I even tried using two IDE optical drives on the PEX2IDE with no issues. FWIW, the 2nd drive was a Optiarc AD-7200A.[/QUOTE]…So if you’re willing to go PCIe, that might work.

Folks here in the past have been hesitant of JMicron (and Marvell) controllers with optical drives because they’d been a pain; sometimes they worked with one drive but not another, and sometimes they didn’t work out at all. That said, avoiding anything with a VIA controller has been a constant.

…At the same time, apparently even Monoprice has a PATA-to-SATA adapter that works for some but not for all when you flick through their reviews. The reason I mention Monoprice is the price; if you wanted to be bold and try one, it would be a decent cost to eat. Other producers (such as Syba or Startech) have adapters, but they are typically a bit more expensive than the Monoprice one. If you decide to search for this, it’s simply called “IDE ATA-133 to Serial ATA SATA Converter SYA”.

I’ve had a SATA controller for about a month & it is working OK.
It’s not what you’re looking for. It is PCIe to SATA.
I’m just posting it to show that this SYBA card uses a Silicon Image chip set.
So you might check to see if SYBA has one like you want with a SI chip set.

Syba SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCIe SATA II 2x Ports RAID Controller Card with
SIL3132 Chipset

I recommend this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dawicontrol-DC-133-RAID-/301328997205?pt=DE_Computer_Sonstige&hash=item46289b9b55