IDE Promise Ultra133 Controller many errors on Sony Optiarc 7200

vbimport

My husband just got a new Asus M4785 motherboard and a new Promise Ultra133 IDE controller. Neither of his two Sony Optiarc will work correctly. They are very SLOW and they error on any CDs he tries to write. Why are they so slow? He has the 80 pin cables, everything.

Sounds like they are in the PIO mode instead of the DMA mode, reset the drives to the DMA mode

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=chowlady1213;2487667]My husband just got a new Asus M4785 motherboard [/quote]could you please specify exactly? I am asking since I can’t find M4785 on Asus website.

and a new Promise Ultra133 IDE controller. Neither of his two Sony Optiarc will work correctly. They are very SLOW and they error on any CDs he tries to write. Why are they so slow? He has the 80 pin cables, everything.
Promise Ultra 133 controllers were not designed to support optical drives.
At least the M4A785-M has an IDE connector onboard, so you should connect your drive there and see if that works.

Additionally, please check if the jumpers are set correctly. With two drives on one cable, the drive on the end of the cable (black connector) must be set to Master, the other one to Slave position.

Michael