Ide jumper settings

vbimport

hello , i’m going to build a new system and want to keep my old ide(pata) dvd burner and dvd rom.the hard drive will be sata so the optical drives will go on the same ide cable. ? is what is the best way to jumper the drives – burner as master with rom as slave or the other way around… or should i just spend a little more and buy new sata optical drives? if that’s the case which sata dvd burner is the best these days … VSO used to have burner usage reports but i can’t find any recent ones. thanks for any info.

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=johnman58j;2492243is what is the best way to jumper the drives – burner as master with rom as slave or the other way around… [/quote]That doesn’t matter. Make sure, you are using an 80 wire IDE cable.

or should i just spend a little more and buy new sata optical drives?
It depends on what drives you have now, and if you are still happy with their performance.

Michael

thanks michael for the response,probably will stick with my old drives because i’m not sure my older VSO and roxio software would recognize a newer sata drive . i think i’ll put the burner master and rom slave so i’ll just have to move the rom up one slot in the case so the ide cable will reach both drives. thanks again