IDE-Error with ND7550... Do I really have to screw up my warranty?

vbimport

Hey everybody,

a few hours ago I got my new ND7550 and inserted it in the Toshiba Tecra 9100. After reading some of the threads here, I figure the manufacturers must hate each other, since it seems to be the same problem others could only solve with soldering some pins…

Problem: The Toshiba starts with “IDE #1 Error”, windows 2000 doesn’t see the drive (in the BIOS I can see it as “Secondary IDE” with 170H/IRQ15). The “Binflash” Software doesn’t find it, so I guess also flashing wouldn’t work… would it?

Does – PLEASE – any of you experts have an idea how I can make this configuration work without dismanteling the drive or soldering the warranty away???

Thanks a lot, regards from Munich
Mick

@ TheBavarian,

Please be civil with your Forum postings.

Absolutely nothing is gained by your use of outright profanity in your postings.

Perchance if you cannot refrain from using profanity in your Forum postings quite possibly this Forum is not a Forum that you need to frequent.

Reguards,
bjkg

I apologize if I hurt your feelings (?), and hope I corrected the right word. Otherwise I don’t know what you mean and expect your support in avoiding what you call profain. I’d be very happy if you could recognize the problem beyond the words, but learning non-profain english nearby shall surely be my pleasure. Regards to you.

The other option is asking for a “reverse ATA” software from NEC. It will change the “master” setting to “slave”.

Thank you, cchang, sounds like exaktly the idea I’ve been looking for.
Unfortunately the NEC Support didn’t even read my mails and just sent standard how-to-answers (ignoring my exact description and specific questions completely) three times, finally leaving me the only option to “ask my local dealer” since there’s no Service-Tag on the drive… Hope I find the software somewhere else (do you have an idea?).
Nice day
Mick

Dude, crossposting/doubleposting is not allowed in this forum.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=170262

The “IDE #1 Error” is exactly the one which requires the hardware mod.

This can be applied to the interface board instead of the drive:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1286609&postcount=12

I would guess that your drive has v2.x firmware - and Liggy may be interested in a dump.

A ReverseATA tool like the 6650 would fix it - but not available yet. Even then, you would need to get full access to the drive first! (A “Catch-22” in the states).

Try this… Boot with the drive removed from the Tecra.

Once booted, insert the drive. You may be able to get access that way. It worked for me some time ago. And then try Nero InfoTool to get firmware version. Use Binflash to get a dump.

W I N N E R !!! :-)) :clap: :smiley:
Chipster :bow: , you really made it with this “Smart tip of the century”! :flower:

After following your advice (which reads like a cheap trick but impressed me like the invention of the wheel itself) and booting with the drive removed, I did the usual hardware scan, which didn’t come up automatically like it’s supposed to. And: There it is --> NEC ND-7550 is available!!

Now the Nero tool is (still) running and Binflash shall follow (by the way should I use the “necflash_windows” or rather the “necflash_wingui”?)… I’ll post / upload a screen dump and more information for you experts (and other searchers like me). If you want it in a special place, then let me know which you prefer. Instruct me which information and/or files I can supply! :cool:

Thank’s so much
Mick

Not quite there…

With InfoTool, plese check firmware version (“Drive” tab).

And check where it sets itself up (Master/Slave) on “Configuration” tab. Is “DMA” on or off?

It will probably work - but not to specs… You will need to change its behaviour - either the hardware mod, or with a reverse ATA tool - when it arrives.

If your version is different from 1.x, then Liggy will probably be interested.

Get Binflash from here:

http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/#download

Assuming you run WinXP 32-bit, choose Win32 GUI version and get a dump.

There is no way to change the master/slave via firmware yet! But it may come soon…

InfoTool reports firware version 1.01 (sorry for Liggy)
The drive sets itself up as “Slave” with DMA off

Anything to go on? Dumped screens and the firmware, in case it’s helpful. Writing speed seems to be rather slow. The ASPI manager, which I was supposed to install, isn’t… so maybe has also to do with a problem of InfoTool itself.

Not much you can do short of applying the hardware mod - for now…

Your Tecra 9100 and my Sat Pro 6100 are very, very similar. My drive is a 6750 with v2.01, yours a 7550 with v1.01. Same hardware platform for the drives - and the main firmware - v1.x versus 2.x - give similar issue with similar notebooks.

Trying to sort it out… Perhaps these frimwares really are default masters - while our notebooks read them as slaves, and require CS (cable select) pin grounded to tell the “notebook” it is a master.

That’s exactly what NEC support stated to Kamla (reported in another thread):
"The default setting for our drives is indeed Master. "

But why can’t I just use it as it is (i.e. without doing anything about hardware) now?

NEC 7550 is surely master by default. I know that because it has a title “GEN” on the cap which identifies it as master and additionally it was recognized in my ACER as secondary master without problems. Firmware is also 1.01.

Lucky girl… I also have no idea why Toshiba is so strict with it’s expectations if it’s not technically necessary. I guess it might have to do with any company politics thing, and I was not confused to bear the consequences facing all the difficulties I had (to stay with Chipster: have) to go through.

About your hint with “GEN” I’m a bit confused. As far as I read (but as I mentioned here I’m everything but a DVD expert - to be completely honest it’s my first DVD drive) the “GEN” is the more common title for almost every DVD drive which is not “A” for a much more expensive kind of drives which are able to do “authoring”, i.e. copy what ever (without the help of the CD freaks).

Maybe one of the Die Hards in here can clear the clouds away on this :wink:

[QUOTE=TheBavarian]… and I was not confused to bear the consequences facing all the difficulties …
QUOTE]

Sorry - of course I wanted to say “I was not amused”… :o
… but I must have been confused when I wrote it :slight_smile:

Parts of my last question I answered myself in the meantime. The drive seems to work properly (to which degree I can’t say yet), but after a reboot I face the same thing again and again: “IDE #1 Error”. So

• EVERY reboot has to be done without the drive. It can be inserted as soon as Windows starts.
  • a hardware scan HAS TO follow. Afterwards the drive is accessible.
  • No DMA, although “IDE Secondary Channel” is configured as “…if available”.

So far so good, I see why the bridging/soldering or reverse ATA is needed.

Additional question :confused: for the gurus here: When the reverse ATA tool comes, will I – assuming that I only change the Master/Slave and don’t have any other firmware changes – still need to do this process on a desktop? Or are these special functions maybe less dangerous when executed on the Lap itself? I was running around for hours today and couldn’t get the right adapter… much effort and additional cost which I would want to avoid.

I’m a boy, not a girl. :wink:
To your problem: you can buy another drive, e.g. Pioneer DVR-K06L Slim Slot-In. It is set as Cable Select, so it could function in your Toshiba. And this Pioneer drive has the same write speeds as Nec, so you wouldn’t have any disadvantages.

Oh, I’m sorry :o … I figured (without thinking a lot as you saw) from the name ending ‘a’ … now that I say that, I realize that my nick could also be considered a Bavarian girl :doh:

Your idea with the other drive is nice, but I have the NEC already… turned out to be one of the silly persons who start reading the forums after coming into trouble :Z . Hope I learn from this… pray for me! :bigsmile:

And have a nice evening!

What I can’t figure out is why NEC hasn’t the foresight and intelligence to add a small switch on the backside of the drive to select MA, SL, or CS on their slimline drives.
Two things would happen if they did.

1. they’d end up as the market leader in replacement slimline drives, and
  2. we wouldn’t need to have these endless discussions and the need for ‘sexchange widgets’ to make the thing work in all the various types of laptops we all use!
    Mike

First of all a switch costs money. Maybe it’s just a few cents, but if you consider the ammount of drives that are built, it sums up to lots of dollars.

Second is that NEC just complies to the IDE specifications. It is set to cable select and can change between master and slave IF the laptop manufacturer correctly implements their IDE ports what Toshiba obviously does not do.

Last not least, the new Optiarc slimline drives have a software switch, to change between “Cable Select”, “Inverse Cable Select”, “Master” and “Slave”. The official software only changes between CS and Inverse CS though and this can only work if you can make a PC recognize your drive to issue the command needed to change the value.