IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

When I connect a master and a slave drive the PC stopped booting while I see the JMB searching for drives. So it don´t matter which OS

Tried different Master/Slave-drives, different IDE-cables and update the FW. None of this helped.

Hmm… I’ll take another look at my setup when I get home today and see how it’s configured with the jumpers on the drives. I don’t recall if they’re cable select or jumpered to master/slave, but there are definitely two IDE burners on it and it works.

Stereodude, you’re everywhere, thanks for all the helpful replies!

Wischmop I’m also interested in knowing which issues you’re having in details, as I am likely to get either one of those cards. What kind of drives are connected to each cards and how (hd or oprical, master/slave)? If you’re using the SIL080 one with optical drives did you flash to the non-raid bios version?

The issues with the JMB I already wote.

The 0680 works good with XP, but with W7 I had sometimes the problem that the writers hang during burning media. Not often, but it happened. Rarely the whole PC stop working. It can be also an Mainboard-issue with this controller.

Yep, flashed 3-4 Sil-cards with Non-Raid-Bios

I use the Sil only for optical drives, for HDD I use PCIe-controllers. Looks to me like newer mainboards have weak PCI-Performance.

I tried to use 2 optical drives at same time, both connected as Master, but the performance was also terrible.

Maybe my Mainboard have a general probs with some cards, I also tried 2 other controllers:

http://www.inline-info.de/de/inline-detail/artikel/11812/
(this should be very similar: http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_89293/merkmale.html)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=SATA3%20Card

It seems to me my board don´t like Marvell-chipsets

Thanks. I think I’ll get the SIL0680 one then. Seems safer to get one and flash it to non-RAID rather than gambling with a JMP368. I’ve read too much horrific things about the JMB 36x in the past hour, and I will be using the SIL0680 for ripping from a plextor premium only, so there shouldn’t be any problems with hanging while burning. And it’ll justify that PCI slot on my new Z87 mobo :wink:

[QUOTE=Lebowsky;2697521]And it’ll justify that PCI slot on my new Z87 mobo ;)[/QUOTE]I’ll be curious to know if / how it works. I have reservations about the PCI slots on the Z87 motherboards since the Intel chipset dropped PCI and the PCI bus is being provided by 3rd party PCIe to PCI bridge chipset. It’s putting another layer of complexity on top of the situation. It’s anyone’s guess how good the implementation of the PCI bus is by the 3rd party chipset and if it will cause problems or not with a PCI drive controller.

Frankly, I wish my ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 had only PCIe slots instead of having 2 PCI slots.

The Marvell-controller from Inline works on an Asus-board with IDE-drives good. But not on my Gigabyte A85X

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697522]I’ll be curious to know if / how it works. I have reservations about the PCI slots on the Z87 motherboards since the Intel chipset dropped PCI and the PCI bus is being provided by 3rd party PCIe to PCI bridge chipset. It’s putting another layer of complexity on top of the situation. It’s anyone’s guess how good the implementation of the PCI bus is by the 3rd party chipset and if it will cause problems or not with a PCI drive controller.

Frankly, I wish my ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 had only PCIe slots instead of having 2 PCI slots.[/QUOTE]

I fail to read before acting again. :sad:oh well. The 0680 PCI card is ordered, we’ll see how that goes. I’ll be more than happy to report bacj with results, it won’t be before a month or so though, the mobo is currently delayed… (Intel DZ87KLT-75K)

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697511]Hmm… I’ll take another look at my setup when I get home today and see how it’s configured with the jumpers on the drives. I don’t recall if they’re cable select or jumpered to master/slave, but there are definitely two IDE burners on it and it works.[/QUOTE]FWIW, I checked and the drives are set to master and slave respectively. The master is on the far end of the cable, the slave is in the middle. The master is a TSST SH-222A and the slave is a Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32A.

I tried it with these drives and different settings Master/slave

Plextor PX-716
Liteon SOHR 5238
Yamaha CRW-F1
LG GSA-H22L

Had the same issue in every setting

Wish, thanks for the notes about the A85X series. I’ve used several of these IDE-SATA cards on A970/990 chipsets without problems EXCEPT doing motherboard BIOS updates. But I remove those cards, flash the BIOS and re-insert them (another reason to be tentative about MB BIOS updates).

Most of the problems I’ve seen have been instructions that detailed wrong or misspelled Driver or Folder names, so loading in the two correct drivers (one for IDE, one for SATA) is something like trial-and-error.

My A85X-mainboard have UEFI, could also be a reason. The Marvell-controllers work fine in an 760G-board with normal BIOS

In newer boards I don´t really recommend PCI-cards, the PCI-slots are only avaible to be avaible, not really for use with cards that want to make bis data-transfer

Wish, I’ve got an Asus 970, Asus 990, Asus Z77, ASRock Z77 with Syba and Silverstone cards - most of which are Marvells (but maybe some earlier ones, which I didn’t ‘track’ or record using The Other One) - and all of these are UEFI’d.

All of these cards were installed after Win7 and Win8 were installed, by the way - and none of the IDE-DVD Burners are set as bootable so I’d have to plug in a SATA DVD-R for that operation. But these are all using tried-and-true Pioneer and Plextor DVD-R drives, and I don’t think any have SATA drives attached. They were strictly to enable an tried-and-true IDE burner to exist on a SATA-only motherboard.

I think we use 5 different cards across maybe 30 machines, so I learned which were the correct drivers. Did you come across poorly written instructions? (Such as instructions saying to copy X-Driver from Y-Folder, but that folder didn’t exist, but was spelled somewhat differently? Or a driver-name on-disk that wasn’t spelled like the driver-name in the instructions? I saw this frequently.)

Well, my problem with Marvell SATA-PCIe-cards don´t depend on the drivers.

The PC stop after the 1st bootscreen, the monitor stays black and nothing happens. I don´t see the POST-screen of the controllers.

All these problem only exist on my Gigabyte A85X-board. Used the Asrock SATA3-card on Asrock, Asus and other Gigabyte-boards and there it work.

The SATA3/IDE-card works in a Asus 760G-board (don´t had an other board than my A85X and this board to try)

Still hoping a better UEFI-release will come for this board

I foolishly applied a MB BIOS update with one of those SATA-IDE cards installed, and while the BIOS seemed to flash correctly (and it did, as later testing proved), I was left with a rebooting machine, rebooting after BIOS SETUPs were completed. Once I removed the little Syba card (a Marvell controller), the Machine returned to stable condition. Then I re-inserted the Syba card, re-installed the drivers and all has worked well.

We don’t have plans on additional cards because we have some ASROCK Extreme4s and Fatality boards that have IDE connectors. If and when we need that capability in the future, we’ll use those motherboards.

I still have some older Mainboards with native IDE for special doings :wink: , but these systems not very fast

BTW, for updating drive-controllers I always prefer a mainboard with Non-UEFI, works better than with UEFI

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2697560]I tried it with these drives and different settings Master/slave

Plextor PX-716
Liteon SOHR 5238
Yamaha CRW-F1
LG GSA-H22L

Had the same issue in every setting[/QUOTE]I also tried it on my other PC with a JMB36x on it. It had no issues with a Optiarc 7200A (slave) + BenQ DW1650 (master).

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2697500]I’ve also got a PCIe card with a Marvell 88SE912x chipset on it’s way to me to see if it also is a viable PCIe IDE & SATA option.[/QUOTE]I’m sorry to report the card I got (Syba SD-PEX50050) did not work with the IDE optical drive I wanted to use it with. :a

I mainly bought it so I could use a BenQ DW1650 for scanning. Unfortunately, the controller hangs at the 88SE91xx BIOS screen where it’s “Initializing devices…” when the DW1650 is attached. I tried both positions of the IDE cable and all the combinations of the drive’s jumper in both cable positions. I tried more than one IDE cable also. The card did recognize and boot with a Optiarc AD-7200A attached for whatever that’s worth. The SATA ports on the SD-PEX50050 seem to work fine with optical drives.

I will be returning the SD-PEX50050 and getting a JMB368 PCIe IDE card instead.

It´s not easy to find a card that works good with optical drives.

Did your Marvell-card also need long time to initialize? It´s a little bit disappointing, my Marvel SATA-only-card is much faster.

The best card was one with Sil680 and Non-Raid-Bios, but it´s PCI and have no driver-support.

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2698125]Did your Marvell-card also need long time to initialize? It´s a little bit disappointing, my Marvel SATA-only-card is much faster.[/quote]It took a few seconds. A little slower than the SATA only card, but nothing like some of the RAID cards.

The best card was one with Sil680 and Non-Raid-Bios, but it´s PCI and have no driver-support.
There’s no suitable Windows 7 x64 driver that works?