IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

Here you are: http://delock.de/service/support/driver/70098.html
(Treiber = driver)
After having installed the drivers, check if newer versions are available via Windows Update.

Bios update document from SiI: http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SII-TT-0003.pdf

Michael

Excellent, solved! BIOS_Treiber_Tool.zip file contains the latest BIOS and the latest drivers for x86/x64 OS.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2679015]I can provide you with some drivers [/QUOTE]

Much Thanks :bow: :bigsmile:

Anyone knows actual IDE-PCIe-cards without VIA or JMB-Chipset?

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2693973]Anyone knows actual IDE-PCIe-cards without VIA or JMB-Chipset?[/QUOTE]
The only one I have ever used is PCI based and its the Sil680, I am not sure you can even find them anymore. :wink:

Pleasae have a look there…

Sorry, I wrote [B]PCIe[/B]

I know the 680-controller, still have one, but:

I can´t use 2 IDE-burners at same time, both speed down to burn at 1,4x-speed :Z

Yeah, I used 2 cables for both channels, both drives are master without slave

The probs are maybe:

driver-issues for W7

My FM2-board with A85X-chipset have big performance-issues with PCI-cards; not sure whether it have a native-connection to chipset or a bridge-chip.

It also make probs with my JMB36x-PCIe-card, PC slows extremely down if I use it

Maybe I have to reactivate one older PC for using my IDE-drives. My older DVD-media didn´t work well with my newer SATA-burners

Another choice for using IDE drives in a modern PC would be using IDE-SATA converters. For me adapters with JMicron JM20330 like the Digitus DS-33150-1 are doing a good job. Just make sure the IDE drives are set to Master and the adapter is fitted correctly.

Can you tell how good the speed is?

I’ve mainly used the drives attached to an adapter for scanning. I’ll try to run a transfer rate test on the ND-3540A this evening, when I’m back home. Expecting full speed here as SATA allows for higher speed than IDE.

I think it depends on the bridgechip.

My external USB2.0-enclosure with Benq 1640 can´t push more than 8x-speed. Okay for Scan, but not for my 16-20x-writers

Sorry for taking longer than anticipated but I had a couple of issues:
Forgot to test yesterday

[ul]
[li]My ND-3540A seems to have died. Fortunately I still had a second one. (Hopefully it was just to hot for the other drive)
[/li][li]My LiteOn drive refused to run any tests, but I already had that issue with my old PC
[/li][li]Reading disks worked fine but scanning with CD-Speed caused my PC to hang and require a reboot - OptiDriveControl worked fine though. Fixed CD-Speed scanning by moving the drive from an ASmedia to a Z87 port. Still need to figure out if it’s the ASmedia drivers or the chipset, but I guess it’s the latter one.
[/li][/ul]
I eventually managed to do a (perfect) transfer rate test and here’s the result:

The Transfer looks nice :slight_smile: , Thank u

Did u use an Intel 2.0 or 3.0 port?

I use atm a AMD A85X-board with native 2.0/3.0, have also an Asmedia PCie-card. So I have to try how it works ith my chipset

I think you’re mixing up something here. I wasn’t using USB but SATA to IDE converter and Z87 boards only have SATA 6GBps ports.

Just opened my ND-3540A and I think the drive has died :frowning:

Mea culpa, i mixed USB with SATA

RIP 3540 :frowning:

Hi,

I just stumbled upon a Plextor Premium for a real bragain locally, and having a SATA only motherboard, was wondering which are the currently available “best” controller cards - so with the SI 0680 chipset.

I saw this on ebay in a previous post, but shipping to Europe is like 45$ so 80$ is a bit much…

According to the post above from mciahel in february, the Delock 70098 seems to also be using the same chipset, that would do the trick as I can get that for cheap.

However I wanted to know if there were also PCIe cards using this chipset. It doesn’t seem to be the case on the Delock website (especially this one: delock 89149, looks neat with only 1 IDE slot but not a SI chipset?). I wanted to make sure of that beforehand, as my mobo only has 1 PCI slot and all others are PCIe. Does anyone use a PCI IDE controller card for his optical drives? And if so which one(s)?

I doubt you will find a Sil0680 on a PCIe card since the Sil0680 chipset is a PCI device. A PCIe version would need a PCIe to PCI bridge + Sil0680 chipset. I don’t see someone making that since there are native PCIe options. The Delock 89149 should work fine. The JMB36x chipset on that card works for optical drives.

Also, keep in mind if you get PCI based Sil0680 card you will need to reflash the BIOS on the card to the non-RAID version. Delock has it posted on their website though.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2694226]Reading disks worked fine but scanning with CD-Speed caused my PC to hang and require a reboot - OptiDriveControl worked fine though. Fixed CD-Speed scanning by moving the drive from an ASmedia to a Z87 port. Still need to figure out if it’s the ASmedia drivers or the chipset, but I guess it’s the latter one.[/QUOTE]I couldn’t get the ASMedia ports on my Z87 mobo to play nice with native SATA optical drives. From my Googling, everyone seems to say they don’t support optical drives and that certainly matches my experience. I would think that the SATA to IDE bridge you’re using will only make compatibility worse. I used all my Z87 SATA ports and had to find a PCIe SATA controller that supports optical drives. Luckily I found one. The Syba / IO Crest SI-PEX40064 uses a Marvell 88SE9215 SATA chipset and I’m happy to report it has no issues with SATA optical drives and works as well as the Z87’s ports from an optical drive perspective.

For PCIe based IDE ports, I know the JMB36x works with optical drives (except really old ones that predate ATA-33 and use multi-word DMA). Gigabyte put them on motherboards a few years back and I’ve used IDE optical drives on 'em without issue. I’ve also got a PCIe card with a Marvell 88SE912x chipset on it’s way to me to see if it also is a viable PCIe IDE & SATA option.

I have an PCI with Sil 0680 und a PCIe with JMB36x-chipset.

Both work with my tested drives, but Sil´s W7-driver seems to be buggy. The JMB works OK imho as long as u use only one drive.

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2697503]The JMB works OK imho as long as u use only one drive.[/QUOTE]I have 2 IDE drives on a JMB363 under Windows XP x64 (Windows XP x86 before) and haven’t had any issues, though admittedly the optical drives aren’t used a lot.

What issue did you see with two, and under what OS?