IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

[QUOTE=Ibex;2616058]If your problems are startup related then try wiping the BIOS on the card and running it without one. Worked for me a couple of years ago - apart from being unable to boot from that controller everything was fine afterwards.[/QUOTE]
No, the optical drives are unusable

Hey, I hooked up 1 of my Plex Premium 2 and it is usable. Windows takes forever to boot but that is not a major concern for me. I will hook up a second PP2 later, thanks

with 2 drives Windows will not boot

lol…If I try 2 Plextor drives Windows will not boot, so I finally got a Plex Premium 2 and a true BenQ 1640 to work together. I tried a Plex Premium 2 and a Plex 740 crossed flashed to a BQ 1640 and Windows again will not start.:confused:
thanks Jim

I bought this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110797076087 (sorry if i’m not allowed to post links)

It is with flash memory on the photo - we’ll see what the actual product will be :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Viatoris;2616203]I bought this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110797076087 (sorry if i’m not allowed to post links)

It is with flash memory on the photo - we’ll see what the actual product will be :)[/QUOTE]

It’s a SIL0680A so it’s very compatible and have win7 drivers.

I use this card flashed with a non RAID bios from Silicon Image website. It’s very similar to the one that you bought.
http://www.koutech.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=105

Hello,
I have a SIL0680ACL144, with the SST MTP27SF010 chipset, firmware 3.0.56.
I can not find drivers for XP, as the website of the Silicon Image offers just those related to the latest firmware.
Not even I could flash the bios because this chipset is not listed.
As I read that these cards support optical drives well, I would like some suggestions to make it work.

Thanks in advance

WHY flashing that properly working controller?

Makes no sense to me.

Perhaps I should explain better.
First, I would like to use the controller only for optical drives.
The chipset is Silicon, but the card does not.
From what I read on the forum, I have to delete the raid by flahing it to the BASE version.
The problem is right here.
The SST eeprom of my card is not listed in the flashing DOS program from Silicon.
Also, I can not even test it as it is under WinXP, because the drivers available are for the most recent firmware.
I was wondering if anyone has the same card …

[QUOTE=Micio;2640139]Perhaps I should explain better.
First, I would like to use the controller only for optical drives.
The chipset is Silicon, but the card does not.
From what I read on the forum, I have to delete the raid by flahing it to the BASE version.
The problem is right here.
The SST eeprom of my card is not listed in the flashing DOS program from Silicon.
Also, I can not even test it as it is under WinXP, because the drivers available are for the most recent firmware.
I was wondering if anyone has the same card …[/QUOTE]

I have a SIL0680A card working with win7 using the base IDE bios.
I always flash it using the built in flash inside the windows driver.
See here a pic :http://club.myce.com/f61/new-silicon-image-sil-0680-firmware-drivers-192683/#post1543346
This tab is enabled only if the driver supports the flash chip.

Just a few details to be cautious of:

• flash the card without any device pluged ( to avoid problems )
  • If you are swapping the bios from RAID to IDE, the card will be redetected and install a new driver ( windows update detected it automaticaly ).

I have a SIL0680A card working with win7 using the base IDE bios.
I always flash it using the built in flash inside the windows driver.
See here a pic :http://club.myce.com/f61/new-silicon...3/#post1543346
This tab is enabled only if the driver supports the flash chip.

Just a few details to be cautious of:

• flash the card without any device pluged ( to avoid problems )
  • If you are swapping the bios from RAID to IDE, the card will be redetected and install a new driver ( windows update detected it automaticaly ).

Windows update! This is the first time that works!

OK. The drivers are installed, but I see no flash option.
I’m sorry but I can still see the images that you linked: I have only two posts (what a strange rule!). With this reach 3 and going to see.

In the meantime I have attached two drives, and seems fine.

zhadoom, the link is trashed!! It leads to “Page not found”…

Yeah, I also saw that within the drive properties not enabled, I think you cannot flash this controller then THIS WAY.
You need other tools.

I think you cannot flash this controller then THIS WAY.
You need other tools.

What exactly do you mean for other tools?
A different programming software?
Unsolder the chip and replace it?

For those interested, here are the details of the driver installed:

[B]Wrong tab[/B], its not about the driver…
And you really have RAID drivers installed? That sounds bad.

[QUOTE=chef;2640261]zhadoom, the link is trashed!! It leads to “Page not found”…

Yeah, I also saw that within the drive properties not enabled, I think you cannot flash this controller then THIS WAY.
You need other tools.[/QUOTE]

Look at the link in my previous post. It works. The quoted link at Micio post doesn’t work.

If the flash chip is supported, a tab named “FLASH BIOS” will show at the hardware properties of the controller.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2640338]
If the flash chip is supported, a tab named “FLASH BIOS” will show at the hardware properties of the controller.[/QUOTE]

Yup! :bigsmile:

If the flash chip is supported, a tab named “FLASH BIOS” will show at the hardware properties of the controller.

Ok, I understand.
It’s time to look for another with a writable bios.
Thanks for the support

Could anyone upload the latest non-RAID BIOS (the original .zip, without repacking) and the latest non-RAID x86-32 driver for Windows (the original .zip)?

I need both in order to boot from a DVD drive attached to a SiI-680 card and install Windows 7 x86-32.

I have noticed that Silicon Image has refaced entirely the web page and has discontinued the 680’s downloads. Thanks to Google’s cache I can determinate that the latest BIOS is named [B]SiI0680_3400.zip[/B] and the latest driver is named [B]680_X86_w7_1.2.30.1_logo.zip[/B].

Many thanks if anyone can upload these files.

I can provide you with some drivers and the flash tool, unfortunately I was unable to find the latest non-RAID BIOS - maybe someone else can help here.

Download

Many thanks.