IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

HMMM, might have to try my 1620 next time I need to open the case for something on the controller card with the SATA adapter on the 1655 and see what happens.
Pretty sure my original 1600/1620 still works.

Hi. I just want to share that I tested an unbranded SII0680 IDE RAID Controller card with a Winbond W27E010P-70 chip (unflashable), Bios 3.2.10 (Raid). It’s installed with this driver 680_X86_w7_1.2.30.1_logo (non-raid) with a single HDD.

MB: VC820
PCI Slot:: 5
IRQ: 14 (disabled Primary IDE Channel on Bios)

The card was installed with XP already running on the PC, I don’t know if it will get a boost gain (at least a llittle one) with a fresh Windows installation using the floppy drive and F5 key.

Feel free to comment. Thanks for reading.

I don’t understand russian. :bigsmile:

Edit by moderator: It was spam zhadoom, so I’ve removed the original post and your references to it.
Kerry56

I purchased an Optiarc AD-7260S for an older PC. The mobo already has Silicon Image 3112 onboard, but both connections have HDD’s attached.

So I also picked up a Syba interface card that uses the SiI3512 chipset. It appears to install correctly, but when I run EAC and attempt to ‘Detect Read Features’ the CD doesn’t even spin up and EAC freezes (can’t even stop it in the task manager, I have to reboot).

Manually configuring EAC and attempting to copy also fails in a similar manner.

I tried changing the cable, flashing the BIOS to non-raid, changing the drivers, etc.
Connecting the Optiarc to the mobo’s SATA connection makes EAC run perfectly.
I talked to their support and returned the card. The replacement card is no different than the first.

Has anyone seen this or have a recommendation? Do I need to get a different interface card from a different manufacturer or with a different chipset? Is this a function of it being PCI based? (The vid card is AGP so in theory latency shouldn’t be an issue.)

Any information you all can provide is more than I’ve been able to find Googling.

I don’t know personally about SATA controller cards, but I know EAC doesn’t play nicely with my PATA controller card unless I install an ASPI layer. You can achieve this by taking the wnaspi32.dll from Nero and putting it in the same folder as your EAC installation. Then after you restart EAC, you can choose “Installed external ASPI interface” in your EAC options under the Interface tab, then restart EAC again.

I can’t guarantee this will work, but it’s the first thing I’d try.

[QUOTE=DoctorM;2605950]I purchased an Optiarc AD-7260S for an older PC. The mobo already has Silicon Image 3112 onboard, but both connections have HDD’s attached.

So I also picked up a Syba interface card that uses the SiI3512 chipset. It appears to install correctly, but when I run EAC and attempt to ‘Detect Read Features’ the CD doesn’t even spin up and EAC freezes (can’t even stop it in the task manager, I have to reboot).

Manually configuring EAC and attempting to copy also fails in a similar manner.

I tried changing the cable, flashing the BIOS to non-raid, changing the drivers, etc.
Connecting the Optiarc to the mobo’s SATA connection makes EAC run perfectly.
I talked to their support and returned the card. The replacement card is no different than the first.

Has anyone seen this or have a recommendation? Do I need to get a different interface card from a different manufacturer or with a different chipset? Is this a function of it being PCI based? (The vid card is AGP so in theory latency shouldn’t be an issue.)

Any information you all can provide is more than I’ve been able to find Googling.[/QUOTE]

Already using the external ASPI. It now comes with the newest version’s installer.

At the moment I decided to plug my secondary HDD to the interface card and the Optiarc to my motherboard. Seems to work okay, but man I hate half-assedness.

I’d still like to understand the issue.

Been a long time since I started this thread and I was wondering how today people might be able to use today’s technology (10-31-11) to help get more life off there ide devices and maybe even get a more stable system. So I went over to newegg my favorite site for see if could get a pci based sata controller card which most older systems have and use it to install not just ide devices but SATA as well. Now I haven’t a system I test these devices or know if they work together but maybe someone else has.

1. Controller - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020
  2. SATA to IDE Converter - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004
  3. SATA to IDE Converter choice 2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270269

Anyways just thought I post this as might give a different choice of controller to use which hopefully doesnt have the nightmare of using a lot of ide devices on your machines.
I have some

[QUOTE=mikemn;2609715]Been a long time since I started this thread and I was wondering how today people might be able to use today’s technology (10-31-11) to help get more life off there ide devices and maybe even get a more stable system. So I went over to newegg my favorite site for see if could get a pci based sata controller card which most older systems have and use it to install not just ide devices but SATA as well. Now I haven’t a system I test these devices or know if they work together but maybe someone else has.

1. Controller - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020
  2. SATA to IDE Converter - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004
  3. SATA to IDE Converter choice 2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270269

Anyways just thought I post this as might give a different choice of controller to use which hopefully doesnt have the nightmare of using a lot of ide devices on your machines.
I have some[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard so-so things about some of the converter blocks, but I have no direct experience with them.

I can say that I own the 2-port version of the controller card you linked and it does not give me 100% functionality with my Optiarc.
Specifically: Exact Audio Copy locks up and cannot access the drive properly.

My onboard ports (also Silicon Image) work fine with the Optiarc.
I contacted Syba and made them aware of the issue, but never heard back. So be warned.

I have used the Syba IDE to SATA converters in the past and they worked OK with the burners I had, and of course were fine with any IDE hard drive I hooked up so those guys are good options, especially for just hard drives, optical support can be hit or miss even when they claim they will work.

Hello!
I have a IT8212 based controller which unfortunately fails to boot on the system I need it (it boots on every other system though). I have flashed different BIOSes and only very old ones seem to work. Unfortunately I cannot find an old ATAPI BIOS online. Someone here has posted the idea of running the controller with empty flash. In that case my PC boots fine, Windows 7 sees the controller but the devices connected to it don’t show up… Any ideas? Or I should just order an Sil0680 based card. I need this for my old PATA/ATAPI devices.

This IDE controller card works great with Windows 7 32 aND 64 BIT, I have 4 of them running in all of my builds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150013

I tried some years agoi also a IT8212-based card and it never works really.

I recommend to use a Sil680-card, still works good

I think I would just get a new unit as it sounds like you’ve tried everything and there are known to work ones out there for cheap. Why subject yourself to the stress when a newer working one can be had cheap.

SIIG SCPE4B12S4 PCI IDE Controller Card with Sil 0680 chipset has been totally useless with P8Z68 MB even after flashing to latest Bios revision.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2615903]SIIG SCPE4B12S4 PCI IDE Controller Card with Sil 0680 chipset has been totally useless with P8Z68 MB even after flashing to latest Bios revision.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 AsRockZ68 motherboards and it works perfectly with both.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2615903]SIIG SCPE4B12S4 PCI IDE Controller Card with Sil 0680 chipset has been totally useless with P8Z68 MB even after flashing to latest Bios revision.[/QUOTE]

Did you try and use this driver? http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=31&cat=3
SiI 0680/0680A 64-bit Windows BASE Driver for Windows 7

4/24/2009
350 kb
Use this driver with the latest IDE BIOS to access non-RAID hard disk drives, CD-ROMs, CDRWs, DVD-ROMs, and DVD-RWs. Latest SiI0680/0680A BIOS:3.4.00. Note: This driver does NOT support Windows Vista 64-bit.

Thanks for your help! Last question - there are many very cheap chinese cards on Ebay (newegg does not deliver to my country). I asked the sellers if their cards are flashable but I’m still waiting for their answer - apart from this is there any other differecnce between the cheap cards and the more expensive ones?

Not sure, but some cards with ITE 8212F and Sil 3114/3214 I bought from Ebay can´t be flashed, and thats shitty :frowning:

Thanks guys, I’ll check it out and see what I get.

If your problems are startup related then try wiping the BIOS on the card and running it without one. Worked for me a couple of years ago - apart from being unable to boot from that controller everything was fine afterwards.