IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

Changing the Flash on the Sil 0680A , from Holtek HT27C10 one-time flash, to AM29F040 from ELFA.

The flash 4M part number is 73-860-76, and a socket 48-114-36 - total price about 5€.

Only problem was, that I was not too concentrated on what I was doing when removing the Holtek chip, so I damaged the card, and had to repair it :o

No problems with flashing to latest BIOS from Sil in DOS, everything works as intended.

Will post some new benchmarks :cool:

I guess, this is the only 0680 controller card with socketed Bios :smiley:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2479448]I guess, this is the only 0680 controller card with socketed Bios :smiley:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say, things did not improve - drives still firmly capped at 26 MB/s.

This one is in Win7, with latest BIOS and drivers.

At least at my ABIT P35 PRO MB - will have to find another solution.

Anybody out there, that can get speeds above 26 MB/s from their SIL 680?

/SWIN

I recently encountered the common problem of a motherboard failing to boot after installing a SATA or IDE controller card (in this case Silicon Image). But I found a simple solution - just wipe the BIOS on the card using the Silicon Image DOS flash tool. In theory it doesn’t need a BIOS if you aren’t going to boot from it (or use a RAID array).

I couldn’t find this tip mentioned anywhere so I thought I would post it here (sorry if it’s old news).

The first card was an unbranded Sil3112 SATA card which came with an old RAID BIOS. At first the computer booted correctly from the IDE HDD connected to the motherboard, but after flashing to the latest base BIOS the computer failed to boot if a SATA drive was connected to the card. It would boot if no drive was connected, and hot-plugging the SATA data cable after booting showed that card was working. I could boot off a DOS floppy disc, but re-flashing the card back to the original RAID BIOS (or any other RAID or base BIOS verion) did not fix the problem. Changing the motherboard BIOS boot order and trying different PCI slots & cables did not help either. After erasing the card’s BIOS the computer boots successfully and both the card & drive still work. I have been running a Samsung SH-S203P via this card with [U]no BIOS[/U] for 2 months without any problems (apart from obviously not being able to boot from a drive connected to the card). :slight_smile:

The second card was an unbranded Sil0680 IDE card (RAID BIOS) for a different computer, and again there were boot problems. With the IDE HDD connected to the motherboard the computer would not boot, even with no drives connected to the new card. With the HDD connected to the Sil card computer would boot, but Windows XP couldn’t load because it didn’t have a driver installed for the new card. Changing card’s RAID/IDE mode jumper, the motherboard BIOS boot order and trying different PCI slots & cables did not solve the problem. But I was able to boot off a DOS floppy disc and erase the card’s BIOS. With the HDD connected to the motherboard again the computer would now boot and Windows recognised the card & installed the drivers for it. Now Windows had installed drivers for the card I could flash the card with latest base BIOS and move the boot HDD from the motherboard to the card. Success. :smiley: (As a bonus the updated BIOS has fixed the original problem and it can now boot with the HDD connected to the motherboard)

P.S.
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using a Sil0680 card with the generic Windows IDE controller drivers? Windows XP initially installed the generic IDE drivers for the Sil0680 card and everything appeared to work OK, but to be on the safe side I installed the correct Silicon Image drivers. (I am unable to go back to the generic IDE drivers, presumably because Windows now considers the card to be a SCSI device)

Interesting. I read a similar suggestion here on the forums, but there was no result posted.

Out of curiosity: How did you accomplish the brainwash of your controller?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2487307]Interesting. I read a similar suggestion here on the forums, but there was no result posted.

Out of curiosity: How did you accomplish the brainwash of your controller?

Michael[/QUOTE]
I just used Updflash v3.36 from Silicon Image’s web site from a DOS bootable floppy disc. IIRC it was option 4 - Erase the whole flash memory. The Sil0680 card was re-flashed with the updated BIOS in Windows, I didn’t have to use Updflash again.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2487456]I just used Updflash v3.36 from Silicon Image’s web site from a DOS bootable floppy disc. IIRC it was option 4 - Erase the whole flash memory. The Sil0680 card was re-flashed with the updated BIOS in Windows, I didn’t have to use Updflash again.[/QUOTE]Thanks :slight_smile:
I think this might be useful :iagree:

Michael

Hi!

Can any of you 2 pretty please run HD Tune on a SIL0680 connected HD?

All of my results point to a restriction on HD and CD-R / DVD-R speed with this card, but may be motherboard related.

Thank you!

/SWIN

[QUOTE=SWIN;2488586]Hi!

Can any of you 2 pretty please run HD Tune on a SIL0680 connected HD?[/QUOTE]Unfortunately, my own 0680 card is lying in a drawer…

Well, you can try to buy anothercard, its not a big problem now. :slight_smile:

Well, you can try to buy anothercard, its not a big problem now.

Dear Krris, I am just trying to find out what kind of speed a SIL0680 type of card is capable of.

Of cause I can buy everything, but as this thread seems to center on the “excellent” SIL0680 chip, does it still work in this day and age?

As the P-ATA slowly dies, there is really no interest in keeping it alive, other than if you have a stack of DVD burners, that still works.

/SWIN

:cop:

[QUOTE=Colinobj;1636967]I have read in a web posting that there is a jumper on the card (JP1) which dictates whether it operates in RAID (closed) or non-RAID (open). My card doesn’t have a jumper but does have a wire link labelled JP1. The posting suggested that cutting this JP1 link would cause the card to operate as a non-RAID IDE controller. I believe these cards are generic and sold under many different brands so a solution would probably help a lot of people.[/QUOTE]I’ve seen some of these cards come with a jumper wire soldered, but mine had none and left the RAID/non-RAID pin of the chip unconnected (non_RAID mode). However with RAID BIOSes R3.2.10 and R3.2.20 (latest RAID BIOS), the card operated in RAID mode. Also I added pins so I could open or close the jumper, but it made no difference with every BIOS I tried, from R3.2.20 through B3.4.00 (non-RAID). I verified that the jumper actually affected pin 80 on the SiL680A chip by measuring the voltage there. Also all BIOSes since 3.2.10, whether RAID or non-RAID, have the RAID menu in them, including the “Press F3 to enter RAID utility” message.

Do any BIOSes use RAID or non-RAID mode as specified by the jumper setting?

I know most of you all are using SATA optical drives now that most of the newer motherboards dont even have an IDE connection on the motherboard so I thought I would give you all a bit of what I did to keep my beloved BenQ drives. I actually tried alot of controller cards but the one that works the best is based on the Sil680 chipset, its made my SIIG , costs only 42.99 and is real easy to install in a PCI slot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150013&cm_re=SIIG_IDE--16-150-013--Product

[QUOTE=alan1476;2583718]I know most of you all are using SATA optical drives now that most of the newer motherboards dont even have an IDE connection on the motherboard so I thought I would give you all a bit of what I did to keep my beloved BenQ drives. I actually tried alot of controller cards but the one that works the best is based on the Sil680 chipset, its made my SIIG , costs only 42.99 and is real easy to install in a PCI slot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150013&cm_re=SIIG_IDE--16-150-013--Product[/QUOTE]

I sugest a less expensive card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104214
I use this card for the past 5 years. ( still using it … )
It’s based on sil0680 too. The firmware is upgradeable in windows using the interface in Silicon Image driver.

IF you run out of IDE ports or have none at all you can also use the IDE to SATA converters that go right on the back of your drive. I have used up to 4 successfully for a long time now since every time I upgrade I loose more IDE ports. The ones I found worked well with opticals or hard drives but yes now except for my BenQ 1655 all my goodies are SATA at this point. My latest board has no IDE or floppy connectors at all so I use the adapters and a add in SATA card to get my extra drives to fit. I think the BenQ is the last drive left that I use that is still IDE so it gets one of the adapters and a extra 3.5 power connecter to give the adapter power along with the normal power plug the drive uses.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2583766]IF you run out of IDE ports or have none at all you can also use the IDE to SATA converters that go right on the back of your drive. I have used up to 4 successfully for a long time now since every time I upgrade I loose more IDE ports. The ones I found worked well with opticals or hard drives but yes now except for my BenQ 1655 all my goodies are SATA at this point. My latest board has no IDE or floppy connectors at all so I use the adapters and a add in SATA card to get my extra drives to fit. I think the BenQ is the last drive left that I use that is still IDE so it gets one of the adapters and a extra 3.5 power connecter to give the adapter power along with the normal power plug the drive uses.[/QUOTE]
I made a rather large investment a long time ago, I have many ( less just say) of the BenQ DW1655, and BenQDW1640, Plextor DW740A drive, brand new all retail, I love them, I will use them till I die. I also use Samsung 223F for reading, I just use the BenQs for writing, I also have a few Bluray drives installed, an Asus and a LG. I have them all working on a Asus Rampage 111 Extreme motherboard with a Intel 980X processor.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2583724]I sugest a less expensive card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104214
I use this card for the past 5 years. ( still using it … )
It’s based on sil0680 too. The firmware is upgradeable in windows using the interface in Silicon Image driver.[/QUOTE]
Are you using that card for Optical drives? Very interesting, I was under the impression that card only worked for IDE Hard drives. See I learned something today. Thanks.:flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2583770]Are you using that card for Optical drives? Very interesting, I was under the impression that card only worked for IDE Hard drives. See I learned something today. Thanks.:flower:[/QUOTE]

The original firmware of PIR133 is RAID default. Raid firmware recognize but aren’t very happy with optical devices.
I use the IDE firmware 3.4.0 from Silicon Image website. http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=31&cat=15

Works with a wide range of my Atapi drives ( 1620, H10N, H22N, H44N etc ).

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2583779]The original firmware of PIR133 is RAID default. Raid firmware recognize but aren’t very happy with optical devices.
I use the IDE firmware 3.4.0 from Silicon Image website. http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=31&cat=15

Works with a wide range of my Atapi drives ( 1620, H10N, H22N, H44N etc ).[/QUOTE]
The DW1620 was a really nice drive I have about 20 that I would part with, LOL, they will not work on any IDE controller card, they have to be hooked up to a motherboard IDE connection at in my experience, but starting with the BenQ DW1640,DW1650, DW1655, they all work with the SIIG Sil680 card fine. Its ashame about the DW1620s and DW1625s, I have a ton of them that I will never use, hey guys and gals its " Ebay Time".;):smiley: