IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

It’s all dependent on what Flash chips are being used by these card manufacturers. If they decide to use older chips which were probably a one-time-buy at a great deal due to an end-of-life status, they will do so. Check my signature for some information gathering about Silicon Image-based cards. Add some information if you can.

I´m from Germany and boughta Sil3132-based Noname-PCIe-card on Ebay, dunno if anyone can do somewhat with the info I can give

Hi.

I wondering if anyone can give me some guidance for a fix.

I have a ite ultra ata/133 pci raid card installed running two IDE HD in non RAID setup. It was working fine under Vista 64. I had to replace my graphics card over December and this is functioning correctly, but the IDE controller card is not. The card and drives are being detected by BIOS and a IDE drive detect screen comes up on boot and detects the drives.

Vista however does not detect the drives. They do not appear in device manager nor on the list in my computer.

I have updated all the IDE controllers listed in my device manger and none are reporting conflicts. I have tried reseating the two HDs and reseating the card itself. I have changed the setting pins to master on both and master/slave configorations one of which causes Vista to hang indefinately on the loading screen.

Any ideas how to get my drives back in Vista?

Is the another pci slot you can try for the controller card? It maybe a conflict between the controller and new video card.

The 2nd slot is obscured by the graphics card. This was the case before when the controller card was functioning correctly though.

The new video card maybe using more resources than the old one esp if it a more advanced card using more video memory

If that is the case what would I need to do to allocate the ide controller the resources it need?

There might be an option in your BIOS to assign a specific IRQ to the RAID card. Take a look in your BIOS and see if you can see which IRQ’s are assigned to specific components.

You may also be able to recover some resources by disabling ports on your motherboard that you are not using. Like the Printer port, the comm port, a 2nd LAN port (if fitted), Firewire port. These will have to be done in the BIOS.

I’m sure I won’t find this, but…

[B]Does anybody know of a 2-channel P-ATA (IDE) controller card meant for PCI-E slot?[/B]

I already have a PCI-based SIL-chip P-ATA card, but I’m running low on PCI-slots in my new motherboard build.

I tried no-name SATA-to-PATA adapters as well, but that didn’t work out either.

The only adapter I found was at this link. Hope it helps.

Any suggestions for chipsets which are good for booting your OS drive? I have an old PC I’d like to put some more optical drives in and I have two options:

1. Put my ODDs on the controller card and my HDDs on the mobo.

2. Put my HDDs on the controller card and my ODDs on the mobo. This option sits better with me. Any suggestions for cards that’ll boot my OS HDD? My mobo has an Intel 865PE chipset with ICH5R in the South Bridge if this helps.

[QUOTE=mikemn;2310466]The only adapter I found was at this link. Hope it helps.

Excellent! Many thanks.

Now I must locate it within Europe as Newegg doesn’t ship to Europe…

EDIT: Found another one, now in Europe:

DeLock 89143 , 2x SATA II oder 2x eSATA, 2x ATA 133 ( JMicron JMB363 controller)
https://www.computerbase.de/preisvergleich/eu/a317480.html

Unfortunately there are a lot of issues with said JMicron controller

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/jmicron-jmb363-189057/

[QUOTE=Halcyon;2385778]Excellent! Many thanks.

Now I must locate it within Europe as Newegg doesn’t ship to Europe…

EDIT: Found another one, now in Europe:

DeLock 89143 , 2x SATA II oder 2x eSATA, 2x ATA 133 ( JMicron JMB363 controller)[/QUOTE]No idea where to get this (or a similar card):

This has Via VT6415 chipset.

Michael

Don’t know if this has been mentioned or not, but in case anybody was running into trouble getting their Lite-On drive working on a SiI 0680 controller: make sure the Lite-On is set to master. I guess it doesn’t like being slave.

[QUOTE=Saucerful;2472873]I guess it doesn’t like being slave.[/QUOTE]

:clap:

This is my experience of the Sil 0680A controller card.

Used a Abit p35 Pro motherboard, with 14 bios, a Nvidia 8800 320 .

With my noname Sil 0680A card, I got some bios corruption, and very slow PATA connection.

A Pioneer 109, on the 0680A card, burst rate at 22 MB/s.

A Seagate 320 GB drive on the 0680A card, burst rate 25 MB/s

The Pioneer 109, on the built in Jmicron 363 controller, burst rate now 36 MB/s.

And the Seagate 320 GB drive on the 363 controller, bust rate now at 78 MB/s.

From my experience on this motherboard, the 0680A controller card is not recommended.

Besides the bios corruption, the Sil controller did not recognize some CD / DVD burners.

And the SilCfg Raid utility, dates back to when NT and win95 was the latest and most used operating systems.

/SWIN

Hi,

is that a Raid controller card or the non-Raid version?

Michael

Hi Michael!

It is the RAID version, sorry that my post was incomplete.

Thank you for pointing it out, there is a jumper on the board but unsure if it does turn the RAID function off.

According to the Medley RAID manual, the device is always in RAID, despite the position of JP1.

There is a JP0, but I really do not know what BAR5 stands for.

As my example turned out to be of the non-flashable variety, I will try to rebuild it, if I can find a suitable flash memory chip.

/SWIN

Hi,QUOTE=SWIN;2473441
It is the RAID version, sorry that my post was incomplete.
(…)
As my example turned out to be of the non-flashable variety,[/quote]That’s ugly. My own card could at least be flashed in a plain DOS environment.

I will try to rebuild it, if I can find a suitable flash memory chip.

Wouldn’t it be cheaper or easier just to replace your card?
Where are you located? If in Europe, then you may get a Delock 70098, which can be flashed to non-Raid Bios.

Michael

Hi Michael!

Wouldn’t it be cheaper or easier just to replace your card?
Where are you located? If in Europe, then you may get a Delock 70098, which can be flashed to non-Raid Bios.

Well, the Delock 70098 costs about € 25 around here, but ELFA sells the chip at €3, and besides, it will be fun to try!

Got the PDF file on the reference design from Sil on the 0680A.

Will post some pictures if i manage the swap :cool:

/SWIN