IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

[QUOTE=mikemn;1987219]econocrat if you have a couple of unused sata connectors on you motherrboard you might want to use 2 IDE ATA-133 to Serial ATA SATA Converters as they would help eliminate the compatibility problems you might get using a pci controller card and I saw an adapter at Monoprice.com
that should work. It also has a sata cable and the price seems reasonable.
heres a link to it :cool:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10407&cs_id=1040701&p_id=2193&seq=1&format=1#largeimage[/QUOTE]

Yep, I have 1 free SATA connection on the same cable that connects the current DVD drive. And if a powerr cable is provided for the dongle I may well be in business. If there are problems does anyone know of where to find info/solutions?
Cheers
Mark

I’m running Windows XP(Home Edition SP2) with an ASUS P5GZ-MX motherboard and Intel Celeron D 3.06Ghz.I’ve got the Sil0680 ATA/133 IDE Controller card with my DVSKOREA DVD-ROM DSR1600H connected to it.the problem is at start-up the DVD-ROM is recognized(by the Sil0680)as Drive Number:1(it’s not).My computer won’t boot from the DVD-ROM.How do I get it to stop recognizing the DVD-ROM as the boot drive(I’ve already tried fixing it in BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY)?

cobraxus first thing you could try is using the other pci slot some slots have higher priority and cards controller card is then seen and used first . I see the motherboard only has 2. What BIOS version is the card. It might help to use different BIOS.

[QUOTE=mega;1987340]Actually, I’d considered these adapters as well but read on many forums they were a nightmare to deal with compared to a IDE controller card. The reviews on the monoprice product page look pretty encouraging though, so I might take a shot at ordering one with the SATA data and power cable included. Now, these don’t require any kind of additional driver do they? And the adapter as well as the IDE device both have to be powered for which the included 2-1 molex should suffice? In my case I’ll have to get a SATA to molex power adapter as well since my MB does not have any IDE or molex support.

Would appreciate followup advice, as no one responded to my previous post. :([/QUOTE]

Mega, I’m interested in knowing whether you are going to try a serial ATA SATA converter, and if not can you please share info that lead you to this decision?
As I recall I have power available for the Plextor (no problem with connector) but will I have to run a line from my power source to the converter? Is this what comes with the converter?
Cheers
Mark

I don’t have a floppy disk drive so I can’t flash the BIOS and there’s no DOS on XP.I’ve tried using command prompt but I get an error message telling me I don’t have a Silicon Image product on my computer.

[QUOTE=cobraxus;1992012]I don’t have a floppy disk drive so I can’t flash the BIOS and there’s no DOS on XP.I’ve tried using command prompt but I get an error message telling me I don’t have a Silicon Image product on my computer.[/QUOTE]

You can flash the BIOS from from the driver installed There a tab that has the flash ability if you look at it in device manager or usually also in the control panel. This is a snapshot of the control panel part tho I dont have a contoller installed atm but if give you an idea how it looks. If you driver is old it might not have the flash utility so goto silicon image download and get it.
http://www.siliconimage.com/

[quote=mikemn;1992119]You can flash the BIOS from from the driver installed There a tab that has the flash ability if you look at it in device manager or usually also in the control panel. This is a snapshot of the control panel part tho I dont have a contoller installed atm but if give you an idea how it looks. If you driver is old it might not have the flash utility so goto silicon image download and get it.
http://www.siliconimage.com/[/quote]

thabks for the info…but all I get is the blank page and an error message telling me I don’t have a silicon image product despite it’s appearance in device manager and control panel.

for whatever unknown reasons the latest downloaded driver worked(it didn’t the last 2 million times)and I have my DVD-ROM back.Too scared to try and update BIOS(can’t find the .bin file).
Thanks again,man.'preciate it!

great man ya if working fine with your device your home free :clap:

Hello everybody!

I’m new to this forum but I have a serieus problem and I wonder if you guys can help me.

I have an Acard 9 to 1 duplicator with 7 optical drives (all DVD-RW) attached to it. Those burners all seems to work fine, but when I connect a harddisk to the Acard controller it keeps saying:

“Booting OS…”

But it won’t boot. Then when I disconnect the HDD it boots like normal and everything works fine. I connect the HDD this way:

• It’s on channel 1 of the controller card (the only white IDE channel)
  • The HDD is set as “master”
  • Because I don’t use a DVD-ROM, de HDD is connected with a single IDE cable (with just 2 connectors, 1 for controller and 1 for the device). This is one of the same cables I also use for the DVD-RW drives.

I pray that anyone knows why the HDD is not recognized by the Acard controller.

Thanks in advance!
Ilona

The Acard support should know. :wink:

I was already searching for contact information or technical support but I can’t find no tel. number from those guys…

Maybe here: http://www.acard.com/english/fc01.jsp

Thanks chef, I will contact them by tomorrow! Still, is there anyone who knows how to connect a harddisk to an Acard controller properly?

The manual just says: “set the hdd to master and the DVD-ROM to slave”. (they expect you to use a DVD-ROM wich I don’t, just the HDD…)

If u connect one device, set Jumper to Master on the HDD and it should run

This is very disappointing. I had a motherboard go bad and had to replace it with one that has only a single IDE port. I had four IDE optical drives on the old board (one ROM and three burners). Is there any PCI or PCIe card that is sure to add an extra IDE port or two? I’m looking for something that is definitely not RAID capable, but will provide a reliable connection at least as good as any IDE port on a motherboard.

Does such a thing exist? From reading these posts, it seems there are problems with nearly everything mentioned.

you look at a selection of card here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150410+1193212548&Configurator=&Subcategory=410&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104214

Looks like my card, with Sil 680-chip

I have newest base Bios (Non-Raid) on my card, works good with different optical drives

[quote=Wischmop;2144056]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104214

Looks like my card, with Sil 680-chip

I have newest base Bios (Non-Raid) on my card, works good with different optical drives[/quote]That’s basically the same card I found locally. Same chip anyway. After upgrading drivers and flashing the latest BIOS (3.3.08), it works great! :slight_smile:

Yeah, works much better than expensive controllers with Promise or HPt-chipset

But I´m going to be a bit angry, some newer SATA-controller cards, no matter whether JMB or Sil CAN´T be flashed, so u have to stay with original-Bios. And it´s mostly Raid-Bios, which causes probs