IDE Controllers (The definitive Thread )

vbimport

hi guys, i’m struggling a bit to find any ide cards(for opticals) in australia at a reasonable cost. the only card i can find is a st labs A160 for $55au, which is too expensive for a cheap card.
if anyone has any tips on what/where i can get a few, i would appreciate it
:slight_smile:

i managed to find a generic card that has the same chipset as the other card
i’m using.
the 1st card is a ST labs A150(known to work with opticals) using the
ITE it8212f
0504-dxs
zm5nnw
2nd is generic with
ITE it8218f
0634-dxs
zm1tgb L
does anyone know what the 2nd &3rd lines mean???
link with pick(top is st labs,botton generic)
[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.7cce248b15.jpg]

i will be testing the generic tommorow, hoping that it works with opticals
but it only came with a raid driver.

This topic is getting to big, I have a hard time to find what I´m looking for :S

It could be useful, if the most important information is on the first thread, like the info which Bios for what controller-card (mostly Sil 680, ITE 8212F) is to recommend for optical drives.

For those that already have a Silicon Image based controller (SATA, ATAPI, SATA RAID) on their motherboard, you can use this:

It does not have boot bios and as such can be used along with another SIL card at the same time.

This two PCI IDE Controller Card support CD or DVD writer ?
Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

i would say not, but if someone has more info, please feel free to correct me

[QUOTE=maxknott;1935543]i would say not, but if someone has more info, please feel free to correct me[/QUOTE]

Thanks for info maxknott :slight_smile:
I’m looking for total 8 CD or DVD Drive PCI IDE Controller Card ( 4channel )
for this case http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/5244/cst-472_8.jpg/cst-472/Lian-Li_PC-343B_Modular_Aluminum_Cube_Case_-_Black.html

any Idea ? for 8 Optical drive PCI IDE Controller Card
Thank you for your help

i am looking for a Good Controller card that serve my BenQ & Pioneer IDE Drivers

i.e [U][B]THE BEST[/B][/U] controller which can Support a Master & a Slave Drive

i am Not happy with my Onboard Controllers on my Motherboard :sad: they seem to give Horrible Scans & dont burn well

pls Suggest me from a good online Store in US,preferably Newegg.com,price is No bar will be having only 2 Opitcal Drives in my Present Set up so suggest me on those line

Pricing is Not a Problem i want [B]THE BEST one[/B] which can fit well on a 8x Slot

Hope u guys can help me

Hi :slight_smile:
You don’t need to spend a lot.
As you don’t want any fancy raid facilities to get in the way.
So something simple like this.
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=110632
Just get one based on Silicon Image, & you won’t go far wrong.
Other Komplett sites around Europe.
http://www.komplett.com/

[QUOTE=zebadee;1944304]Hi :slight_smile:
You don’t need to spend a lot.
As you don’t want any fancy raid facilities to get in the way.
So something simple like this.
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=110632
Just get one based on Silicon Image, & you won’t go far wrong.
Other Komplett sites around Europe.
http://www.komplett.com/[/QUOTE]

thnx mate :bow:

i dont have anybody in Europe :sad: so a Silicon Based card from a Us store will be Best :slight_smile:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10407&cs_id=1040703&p_id=2907&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

decided to go for that :iagree:

Special thnx to zebadee for all the help & advice :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Hi :slight_smile:
You are welcome. :cool:

I’ve installed the Syba Ultra ATA IDE Controller card Sil0680 ATA/133I non-RAID on my PC(Win XP Home SP2/ASUS P5GZ-MX/Intel Celeron D 3.06GHz).I attached my DVSKOREA DVD-ROM DSR1600H to it but my computer won’t detect the DVD-ROM(it does detect the IDE Controller card).
At start-up I get Press F3 to Enter Configuration Utility>Press F1 to assign first(HDD)set.Sil0680 BIOS recognizes Drive Number 1 as The DVD-ROM but my computer won’t boot from it and Sil0680 won’t let me reassign it(BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY lists the DVD-ROM as 3).Syba has been no help at all.PLEASE ASSIST.

Then your drive doesn’t match some generous ATAPI specs I think.

Get another drive or put that one on another controller.

but Sil0680 identifies it as DVSKOREA DVD-ROM DSR1600H.Are you saying it’s so old(7 years)that the IDE Controller card can’t run it?

Haven’t been active on cdfreaks for a long time now, but recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 530 which only has SATA capability, so I’m thinking of getting an IDE controller to host my 250GB WD PATA hard drive and trusty BenQ 1620. I’ve spent several hours reading this very informative thread and noticed zebadee recommended a Si680 card-nonRAID on monoprice.com to someone. I believe this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

There is also a RAID-capable version for a couple dollars cheaper. Does it matter which one I get as long as my plan is to flash BASE/nonRAID BIOS? Or should I specifically buy the non-RAID one? I’m a little puzzled why the RAID one is cheaper than the non-RAID; I’d have thought it would be the other way around? :confused:

Before reading this thread, I was absolutely clueless on what my options were. Now that I have some information, I also have more questions as I embark on this ambitious mission. I hope some of the experienced posters here like zebadee will respond and point me in the right direction…

• From several posts, I’ve read that a lot of these cards can’t be flashed to the latest BIOS. So then it’s basically a crapshoot as to if the card I end up with can even be flashed to the latest BIOS? Any way to make sure I get a “good” card?

• I see SI website has a SiFlash tool that can be used to flash BIOS in the Windows environment (I’m using Windows XP). Yet others strongly recommend doing the flash from DOS. I don’t have a floppy drive on my new computer, so it’d be much easier to do it from Windows. Any thoughts about the SiFlash tool and how good it is? And what method is recommended in my situation?

• What’s the best BIOS/driver combination? Is it the latest, i.e. BIOS 3.2.24 and 1.2.29 drivers? Or is there another combination to guarantee better compatibility to host both an ODD and HDD? I will only put one of each.

• What’s the correct sequence to installing the card with the latest firmware? From what I’ve read, you should install the card without any drives, upgrade the BIOS first, then add the drives and as the PC boots up ignore the message to go into setup. Let Windows find the drivers and install them, and then check the Device Manager to make sure everything is recognized? Does that sound right or am I missing any steps? And if something goes wrong, does that mean I’d have to repeat the whole sequence and reseat the hardware and reinstall the drivers?

• Any other general advice to keep in mind when doing this? I’m feeling pretty nervous but at the same time I do want my favorite PATA ODD and HDD working happily in my new computer.

All helpful advice most appreciated. :bow::bow:

Thanks!
MEGA

I’m guessing my problems are pretty similar to Mega’s. I want to use a new although now outdated Plextor 230 in a 12 month old Dell which uses different connectors. I assume the Dell is SATA and the Plextor is designed for PATA. I want to use the Plextor as it has been shown to be a very superior ripper with fewer errors than virtually any other other such device. I will use it to rip my CD collection using EAC and will do away with my CD player - I’ll just stream my music from a storage device or PC.
Chef has informed me that I need to get an ODD compatible pci card, and to make sure it has an ITE or SI chipset, and he/she referred me to this thread. I am not a computer hardware guy so with so much info spanning several years and with technology evolving during this period, I feel I need the advice distilled - what do I need to buy in terms of hardware, and what software issues do I need to address including any relevant BIOS advice of the type discussed by Mega. Can someone please advise?
Cheers
Mark

[QUOTE=econocrat;1987147]I’m guessing my problems are pretty similar to Mega’s. I want to use a new although now outdated Plextor 230 in a 12 month old Dell which uses different connectors. I assume the Dell is SATA and the Plextor is designed for PATA. I want to use the Plextor as it has been shown to be a very superior ripper with fewer errors than virtually any other other such device. I will use it to rip my CD collection using EAC and will do away with my CD player - I’ll just stream my music from a storage device or PC.
Chef has informed me that I need to get an ODD compatible pci card, and to make sure it has an ITE or SI chipset, and he/she referred me to this thread. I am not a computer hardware guy so with so much info spanning several years and with technology evolving during this period, I feel I need the advice distilled - what do I need to buy in terms of hardware, and what software issues do I need to address including any relevant BIOS advice of the type discussed by Mega. Can someone please advise?
Cheers
Mark[/QUOTE]

econocrat if you have a couple of unused sata connectors on you motherrboard you might want to use 2 IDE ATA-133 to Serial ATA SATA Converters as they would help eliminate the compatibility problems you might get using a pci controller card and I saw an adapter at Monoprice.com
that should work. It also has a sata cable and the price seems reasonable.
heres a link to it :cool:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10407&cs_id=1040701&p_id=2193&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

[QUOTE=mikemn;1987219]econocrat if you have a couple of unused sata connectors on you motherrboard you might want to use 2 IDE ATA-133 to Serial ATA SATA Converters as they would help eliminate the compatibility problems you might get using a pci controller card and I saw an adapter at Monoprice.com
that should work. It also has a sata cable and the price seems reasonable.
heres a link to it :cool:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10407&cs_id=1040701&p_id=2193&seq=1&format=1#largeimage[/QUOTE]

Actually, I’d considered these adapters as well but read on many forums they were a nightmare to deal with compared to a IDE controller card. The reviews on the monoprice product page look pretty encouraging though, so I might take a shot at ordering one with the SATA data and power cable included. Now, these don’t require any kind of additional driver do they? And the adapter as well as the IDE device both have to be powered for which the included 2-1 molex should suffice? In my case I’ll have to get a SATA to molex power adapter as well since my MB does not have any IDE or molex support.

Would appreciate followup advice, as no one responded to my previous post. :frowning: